Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steel sizing die enlarging

+2
Wobbley
tomsp8
6 posters

Go down

Steel sizing die enlarging Empty Steel sizing die enlarging

Post by tomsp8 3/22/2022, 12:00 pm

I will be loading oversized bullets (in the .315 / .3155 range) in a .32 S&W Long 6" revolver with oversized cylinder throats (Just under .316.....) and would like
a larger sizing die than standard. (I placed a WTB on the commercial forum). I'm wondering if I pick up an older steel
die set, how hard is it to hone out the sizer until I get the diameter I want?  Probably looking at about a .002 to .003 increase
depending on what the steel die will actually size at.
Thanks.

tomsp8

Back to top Go down

Steel sizing die enlarging Empty Re: Steel sizing die enlarging

Post by Wobbley 3/22/2022, 12:09 pm

Try a Lee Factory Crimp die first.  They have a “sizing” ring at the base.  But it isn’t small enough to use a as a sizing di generally but it just might work.  

Also, it shouldn’t take much of a machinist to make a sizing die that could take one of these.  https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-bushings/material~carbide/
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tomsp8 3/22/2022, 12:26 pm

Thanks. Im no machinist, and don't want to invest a ton of money if I can help it. Does anyone with a .32 fcd know what the typical diameter would be if used as a sizing die?

tomsp8

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 3/22/2022, 12:42 pm

Greetings,

The Lee Factory Carbide Crimp die will size your cases to roughly 0.336"-0.337".

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by tomsp8 3/22/2022, 1:07 pm

Thanks, Dave! Just the info I needed. That might be a tad too big with my current thin walled wc cases but will take some measurements tonight. My Lee sizer gives me about .330 outside, which would be fine with a. 312 or .313, but would like to be about .332 or .333 if using a .315/.3155 or so bullet.

tomsp8

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 3/22/2022, 1:50 pm

Some of the older dies were tool steel and were uniformly hard throughout. Some new dies, RCBS for sure, are case hardened. If you could hone through the case, the die might be too soft to work properly. The solid tool steel dies would be hard to hone a couple of thousands out of but the surface would still be hard when finished.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by tomsp8 3/22/2022, 2:05 pm

Thanks, Kp
Was going to keep my eye out for an old Texan or Pacific die. There are a couple RCBS steel die sets on ebay, and was hoping it would just be a matter of making a tight rubber hone with sandpaper and a drill and slowly stepping up in grit to a final polish. Think that would work, even if it took several hours of time, to remove .002/.003, or is it a total waste of time?  I didn't think there was any cost effective way to open up a carbide die, really, unless I'm wrong.

tomsp8

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 3/22/2022, 2:24 pm

You can contact Lee Precision and order Custom FCD:

Laine
Customer Service

support@leeprecision.com

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075

AP

Last edited by PhotoEscape on 3/22/2022, 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added email address)
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tomsp8 3/22/2022, 3:42 pm

Photoescape, I tried a few weeks ago but the girl who answered switched me to their warehouse guy and he said they were not taking any custom requests for sizing dies at this time, with no eta on when. Pretty grumpy guy, too, didn't even want to accept why I was asking for it! I see they are now taking orders for the custom fcd though, looks like $50 plus shipping. I suppose a 32hr fcd custom sized to .333? Seems like if they are making custom sized carbide rings for the fcd they would do the same for the sizer. What about a custom size bullet sizer die?....as long as I lube the cases? Much cheaper... Thats what I use to size my converted cases from .32 colt center fire to .32 rimfire?

tomsp8

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 3/22/2022, 4:49 pm

tomsp8 wrote:Photoescape,   I tried a few weeks ago but the girl who answered switched me to their warehouse guy and he said they were not taking any custom requests for sizing dies at this time, with no eta on when. Pretty grumpy guy, too, didn't even want to accept why I was asking for it!  I see they are now taking orders for the custom fcd though, looks like $50 plus shipping. I suppose a 32hr fcd custom sized to .333? Seems like if they are making custom sized carbide rings for the fcd they would do the same for the sizer. What about a custom size bullet sizer die?....as long as I lube the cases?  Much cheaper...   Thats what I use to size my converted cases from .32 colt center fire to .32 rimfire?

You can use FCD as a sizer.  All you need is to remove crimping components.  Pretty easy on Lee's.  They use pretty much same rings for both sizing and FCDs.  The difference comes from whether depriming stem or crimper is installed.  Also, their of the mill mass production dies have +/- mile tolerances.  Custom ones will be right on the dot to your specification.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge 3/23/2022, 5:13 pm

If you want a bullet size die, go to Lathesmith on the Cast Boolit board, and he will hone one out for you.  
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?160-Lathesmith-s-Custom-Dies

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down