Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo

+2
BE Mike
CO1Mtn
6 posters

Go down

Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo Empty Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo

Post by CO1Mtn Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:40 pm

From a sandbag rest. Eley group was the same size as the x-ring at 25 yards and the 10-ring at 50 yards. Magtech was all over the paper at 50 yards. The Magtech rimfire ammo is the worst I've ever shot.

Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo IMG-7493
Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo IMG-7494
Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo IMG-7495

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo Empty Re: Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo

Post by BE Mike Sun May 01, 2022 8:45 am

This is a great example to counter the claims that if it shoots well at 25 yards, it will shoot well at 50! All .22 guns seem to have particular ammo favorites, but this test would put Magtech out of the running for me. What gun were you shooting?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Sun May 01, 2022 10:14 am

This was from a Smith&Wesson 41, with iron sights, just using a sandbag. I got worse results with Magtech in a Nelson conversion, with really low POI shift. Average 8" 5-shot group @ 50 yards.   

I try different ammo types for bullseye, and I thought I could try Magetch but it's just too low quality. Magtech makes decent 9mm hollow points and I've used it in service pistol, but their rimfire ammo is no good.

A comparison of the ammo I've used:

Best groups---
with Federal AutoMatch -- 1.5" 10-shot group @ 50 yards
with CCI SV -- 1.25" 5-shot group @ 50 yards
with Eley Target -- 0.75" 5-shot group @ 25 yards, 1.5" 5-shot group @ 50 yards, 2.25" 10-shot group at 50 yards

Used both pistols, results similar.
The conclusion I drew is all three of the above ammo types are accurate enough for serious competition.

Last edited by CO1Mtn on Sun May 01, 2022 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

CO1Mtn

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun May 01, 2022 10:49 am

Since we're talking about the ammo/gun, and not the shooter, this 20-round target was shot with my Nelson/Salyer/Caspian using standard CCI ammo at 50 yards, hand held, but with two hands:

(At 25 yards the target was much prettier.  Dave had just installed a new trigger, and reduced the trigger pull to the appropriate value for shooting 22.  I replaced the 1" Ultradot with an Aimpoint, and attached the Nelson weight (the smaller one) to the barrel, which made the gun a bit more steady.)

Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo Img_5911
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Sun May 01, 2022 10:57 am

So you're only dropping 6 points off of 100% at 50 yards. I think Nelson conversions and CCI SV ammo are a winning combination. And you can get CCI SV at most Wal-Marts for $4.85/box.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun May 01, 2022 11:07 am

This is the gun, with sharkskin grips, the Aimpoint, and the front weight.

For what it's worth, I can't see any difference between the CCI SV and the Eley bulk ammo that used to be available from the CMP E-Store.  Sadly, it hasn't been available in over two years now.  It worked fine in my Model 41, and my two High Standard guns, and then the Nelson.  Also, for what it's worth, I can't shoot the other guns as well as I can shoot my Nelson.  Again, two-handed.  I still suck one-handed.  Maybe sometime before I die, I'll get to where my left hand stays in my pocket.   :-(

Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo Img_5721
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Sun May 01, 2022 1:05 pm

I bought the same Eley bulk ammo you did. It's the same thing as Eley Target, but was packaged in plastic bags instead of boxes, and sold to the CMP. It hasn't been available on CMP's E-store for a long time now. I don't know if it's the highest tier Eley, but it's the tier I can shoot affordably.

I did some very meticulous benchrest testing with a Nelson conversion/pistol scope last season. CCI SV shot just as good as or slightly better than the Eley bulk. There was almost no difference, but CCI SV actually gave slightly tighter groups. There was no shift in point of impact even at 50 yards, and the groups overlapped which I was surprised at. I shot Eley, then patched up the target with masking tape, and then shot CCI SV, and the group was right on top of where I just patched up the target. So in different matches I switch between the two ammo types and it's seamless.

Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo Overlap1
Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo Overlap2

If I shoot Federal AutoMatch, the POI rises 2" @ 50 yards. This simply necessitates an elevation adjustment of one or two clicks down. But the accuracy is still good with the Federal.
Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo Eley50
Eley Target vs. Magtech .22 ammo Federal

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Mon May 02, 2022 1:18 am

CO1Mtn said "I bought the same Eley bulk ammo you did. It's the same thing as Eley Target".

I may be wrong, but in my testing the CMP Bulk Eley was just a little stronger than the "Yellow Box" Eley Target and I have found that it cycles guns in cooler weather just fine, where Target could be problematic.

I am just now reaching the end of my stash of CMP Eley, it has been my preferred training ammo for a while. I am lucky to have plenty of other 22LR in hand, but I would jump at the chance of buying more CMP Eley if they ever offer it again.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 Mon May 02, 2022 3:36 am

I've always liked Eley's products.  Eley Edge, though not listed as match grade stuff, has always performed well for me.  And I've always appreciated the clean holes it punches.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Mon May 02, 2022 8:59 am

RoyDean wrote:........I am just now reaching the end of my stash of CMP Eley, it has been my preferred training ammo for a while. I am lucky to have plenty of other 22LR in hand, but I would jump at the chance of buying more CMP Eley if they ever offer it again.

Was this only sold by CMP, or can it be purchased from other sources?  I have several boxes left, but would like to buy more.  I could never find a "name" for the bulk ammo, so I had no way to search.  

For me, CCI is equivalent, but I too would jump at the chance of buying more Eley bulk ammo, even if not from CMP.

CMP does have this in stock now, but it's high velocity, not what I want:
https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C22HVHP-5000
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Mon May 02, 2022 9:08 am

It was, AFAIK, a special for CMP and not available from any other source.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon May 02, 2022 11:41 am

To me, ANY. 22LR ammunition has to prove itself reliable and accurate.  At 25 yards most 22 will shoot one ragged hole  when you shoot 15 - 25 shots.  At least it should.  At 50 it should shoot a big blob with some individual shots may be out of this blob but should not be larger than the X Ring.  Reliability has to be 100% for at least 100 rounds.  Otherwise it’s practice ammo.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down