Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SA 1911 Range Officer

4 posters

Go down

SA 1911 Range Officer  Empty SA 1911 Range Officer

Post by Bestdentist99 Sat May 28, 2022 11:23 pm

I need to replace the firing pin spring in my wad gun 45 ACP Range Officer. The only replacements I can find are Extra Power springs. What are the recommendations for replacement of the original spring?
Is EP spring ok as a replacement? Are original springs EP?
Thanks.

Bestdentist99

Back to top Go down

SA 1911 Range Officer  Empty Re: SA 1911 Range Officer

Post by Tim:H11 Sat May 28, 2022 11:35 pm

More qualified gunsmiths should be along to answer this in short time, but in my experience, when I first started shooting a 45 I had a SA RO. It didn’t work out for me and I quickly commissioned a wad gun built out of a SA Mil Spec. But when I had the RO, I used a reduced power hammer spring in conjunction with a reduced power recoil spring. The reduced power hammer spring, plus a light weight firing pin that SA uses, plus a heavy firing pin spring, did not work well. I had lots of light strikes. I switched to a steel firing pin of correct diameter for the gun, and a standard weight firing pin spring. These parts worked well with my reduced power hammer spring. At least this is what I recall. Again, I shortly commissioned a real wad gun, and the RO was transformed into the lower that my Nelson rides on. And I still have my Nelson and that lower combination today. Hope this helps.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Sun May 29, 2022 7:32 am

I just replaced the Ti firing pin and spring in my RO with an EGW 0.075" o/s firing pin and used the extra power spring from one of my Wolff recoil spring packs. Just ran 150rds thru it with no issues at all.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Mon May 30, 2022 11:19 am

Over the years, every time I order a recoil spring it also includes a firing pin spring which I assume is standard power.  Therefore I have several of them and will send you one if you'll send me you address.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Bestdentist99 Mon May 30, 2022 1:58 pm

Hi Phil,
I really appreciate your help.
I ordered a standard and XP set from Wolff just in case.
I’ll put the spring in I ordered and will try them; if it doesn’t work I’ll reach out to you.
Thank you, again!
Have a great Memorial Day!

Bestdentist99

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down