Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trigger question from a geezer

3 posters

Go down

trigger question from a geezer Empty trigger question from a geezer

Post by L. Boscoe Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:50 pm

I got back in to shooting after a 30 year absence in 2020.  Back then, all I shot was 45 and 22, never had access to sanctioned 
matches, probably a good thing, saved me embarrassment. I was shooting 25 and 50 yds one handed, and had a good coach, who was at one time, after Korea, on the Army's Olympic pistol team.  He gave me good pointers, such that I was able to clean
a 25yd target on rare occasions with my tuned Gold Cup.  The advice then was to hold the sight picture and gently squeeze until the trigger broke, which should be a surprise, i.e. you did not really know when.
Now that I am 86, almost blind in one eye and have a really bad back, I have to sit for most of my range time, which is indoors,
the back wall is 20yds.
When shooting my pistols, which are tuned quite well, most are capable of 1.5" groups at 50 yds, I am tempted to shoot a bit faster than before, as the target is hung from a clip and moves a bit. In fact I find I am able to shoot what would be called rapid
fire better than slow fire.
I would appreciate the good shooters opinion on the technique.  I will get outdoors this fall, and if I can see the 50 yd target I will 
see if I can still hit it.  I load my own, prefer 200gr hp loaded with 4.6gr of 231.  Have not chrono'd it yet.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

trigger question from a geezer Empty Re: trigger question from a geezer

Post by weber1b Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:54 pm

The whole "surprise" thing is about a crisp break trigger. The idea is if you don't know when it's going to break, you do your thing and let it do it's thing. Many folks, myself included, prefer a "roll" trigger where you feel the initial movement and actually have a pretty good idea when it is going to break. You can get arguments on both sides of that question and it mostly comes down to 1 - personal preference, and/or 2 - which one you can make more accurate.

weber1b

Jon Eulette likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:00 pm

that makes sense for the Tanfoglio, which has a bit of creep before it breaks, but
my 1911 is a glass wall.  Looks like  I might have to settle on one or the other for
serious stuff.
Thanks for the reply

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:44 am

Hi Mr. Boscoe, Personally I like the short roll over the sharp breaking trigger. I like the fact I can get 3.5 lbs. of pressure while it is moving a short distance, which is enough to help prevent jerking the trigger out of the aiming area in slow fire especially. Shooting timed or rapid I start pressuring the trigger right after resetting the trigger and while I recover to the aiming area. I must admit my timed fired pace is close to a rapid pace. I practice and feel that trigger a lot when I dry fire train, it's very important especially since my wobble can get bad and it helps smooth it out a little.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down