Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

best practice routine for different guns/calibers?

3 posters

Go down

best practice routine for different guns/calibers? Empty best practice routine for different guns/calibers?

Post by L. Boscoe 8/20/2022, 4:51 pm

Being old and partially disabled, I can't stand for long periods of time (back), I have got back into BS in an indoor range, which
is 5 min from the house, and is good for six days a week, although Saturdays are crowded. I have a stool to shoot from, but I can get off ten or more shots standing without a problem, just need to rest a few between. One handed is just now a possibility, up until this summer it was two hands seated.
My favorite from 30 years ago is 45acp, and I reload those to under 800fps.  9mm and 22 are factory. I am trending toward a
big Tanfoglio, although I do have a good 1911 and a CZ97E.  9mm is a CZ Shadow 2 Orange.  The 45's and the 9 have red dots
and really help with seeing the target, although I can shoot my Ruger bull barrel ok.
I propose a routine where, after weight training and lots of dry fire, I would shoot a NRA 50 ft slow fire target at 10 yds until I could consistently do very well, and then move to the back of the range, 20 yds.
The question is: do one caliber only until really good, or shoot all of them in a session.
Also, while the 45 is my favorite, I am not really good with any of them.  Much better than your average spray and pray, mind you, but nowhere near match ready.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

best practice routine for different guns/calibers? Empty Re: best practice routine for different guns/calibers?

Post by RodJ 8/21/2022, 2:15 pm

I’ll offer my suggestion as a new shooter.  The USMC manual starts with shooting the .22 lr. Start there and “master” it.  Then center fire.

As to which guns, it might make sense to get a 1911 and a .22 conversion kit.  You’ll have the same trigger and, largely, the same grip when transitioning.  

On the other hand, I think different trigger weight requirements exist and might argue for a separate 22 pistol.  The Ruger can be a back up with a trigger job.

RodJ

rich.tullo likes this post

Back to top Go down

best practice routine for different guns/calibers? Empty Re: best practice routine for different guns/calibers?

Post by knightimac 8/22/2022, 8:15 pm

Great job training hard and seeing results. Keep up the physical training (be sure to train abs and do some walking if you are able, also swimming or pool aerobics.. Keep shooting a variety of pistols as this works your muscles from multiple angles. Fight the urge to back down off your training. I’m only 60, a variety of health issues, missing most of my right foot since I was 18, 3 disc out in my back and stuck at marksman. I love the challenge and the battle. Lots of ups and downs but I just love shooting pistol. If you are making progress and having fun, keep at it. My suggestion is to shoot both .22 and a center fire. Switch things up when you become bored or progress slows. Keep up the great efforts.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 8/22/2022, 9:05 pm

knightimac wrote:Great job training hard and seeing results.  Keep up the physical training (be sure to train abs and do some walking if you are able, also swimming or pool aerobics..  Keep shooting a variety of pistols as this works your muscles from multiple angles.  Fight the urge to back down off your training.  I’m only 60, a variety of health issues, missing most of my right foot since I was 18, 3 disc out in my back and stuck at marksman.  I love the challenge and the battle.  Lots of ups and downs but I just love shooting pistol.  If you are making progress and having fun, keep at it.  My suggestion is to shoot both .22 and a center fire.  Switch things up when you become bored or progress slows.  Keep up the great efforts.
thanks, I am trying to "keep the old man out" as Clint Eastwood says, and he's 90 last time I looked.
I will probably shoot my 22 and the 45, as I have a bunch of those, no so many 9mms.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down