Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATF C&R list vs California Roster

2 posters

Go down

ATF C&R list vs California Roster Empty ATF C&R list vs California Roster

Post by DireWolf53 Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:26 pm

Hi All,
I am fairly new to this forum and was wondering if anyone here knows whether CA honors the ATF C&R when purchasing a gun form out of state.
One of the auction sites (located in CA) seems to regularly do so. I am specifically interested in picking up a Colt National Match (unmodified) and
was wondering can I do so without running afoul of the regulations. Does anyone (especially dealers!) care to chime in?
Thanks in advance for any info you may pass along.
Paul

DireWolf53

Back to top Go down

ATF C&R list vs California Roster Empty Re: ATF C&R list vs California Roster

Post by Brian Mason Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:39 pm

Yes, a C&R pistol is fine to bring into California provided it isn’t otherwise prohibited. A Colt National Match made before 1972 would be CA roster-exempt. It would have to go to a CA FFL regardless of whether you have an 03FFL, unless you were taking possession out of state.

Brian Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by DireWolf53 Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:55 pm

Brian,
I understand the 50 year rule but when reading the ATF C&R it lists Natl matches in the following way

Colt, National Match semiautomatic pistols, all S/Ns, in original configuration.

My local shops all say that the state rules mandating any C&R to be over 50yrears old over over rides the
ATF listing which indicates all Natl Matches are C&R. Whether or not it is legally correct is immaterial.
They don't want to invite any headaches from the state which I can understand.

Such is life.

DireWolf53

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Mason Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:47 pm

I suspect that might refer to the pre-WWII Colt National Match pistols that were made from 1932-1940. There are a number of guns that are on the Federal C&R list that are not 50 years old because the BATFE was asked to declare them “curios”, like the CZ82 and some Colt WWI Battle Commemoratives, but I’d be surprised if all the Gold Cup National Match models would qualify. Would certainly like to be proven wrong though.

Brian Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down