Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2-stage triggers

4 posters

Go down

2-stage triggers Empty 2-stage triggers

Post by chopper 12/7/2022, 9:52 pm

This is not a Bullseye event but very similar and some here shoot both disciplines also. I shoot a Hammerli 215s in Standard Pistol, basically the same as a National Match course with different commands and starting position. I still have anatomical grips on it and I don't apply as much grip pressure as I would on 1911 type grips. My question is do shooters use the first stage like they are shooting slow fire when firing sustained stages, or just get used to pulling through the first stage wall smoothly. Right now my RF stage stinks because I have to shoot from the ready position in sustained fire stages. Is there a different trigger setup to use, I have about 750 grams on the 1st stage and fill the rest 250 grams on the 2nd stage.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

2-stage triggers Empty Re: 2-stage triggers

Post by Jon Eulette 12/7/2022, 10:19 pm

Stan, I  personally stage all my shots. I set up my two stage triggers so that I hit the 1st stage and just have to barely apply pressure to break the second stage. I train this way. But you also have to be prepared to go past the 1st stage and the 2nd and break the shot. Meaning in a perfect world I can always stage my shots, but in reality you're going to blow past it sometimes.
So you should setup your trigger weights (1st and 2nd) to allow both staging and not staging and be comfortable with the trigger pull. 
You may find you shoot better not staging the shots, so try both methods.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 12/7/2022, 10:34 pm

I stage my 208s for all my shots, but I can't tell you how much pull is proportioned to which stage.  I have a definite stop for the second stage, though.  This is where my finger sits from as soon as I'm coming down into the target and then I add the rest as I settle into the center.  When I'm at my best, the second stage actually takes care of itself without conscious control.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Orion, Jon Eulette, chopper and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 12/8/2022, 12:21 am

I am pretty new at 2-stage triggers, I have about a month of shooting this pistol and mostly slows. I really love it for precision shots. I'll admit I need much more dry fire time (one-shot drills) possibly, and practice live shooting timed then work up to rapid. 
 Can I get a sharper feel for the stop (wall) between 1st and 2nd stage through the trigger adjustments screws? 
 I'll train and practice what you guys suggest. Are there quicker ways to get the pistol up without starting before the green light. Do you count the 7 seconds in your mind? I have been doing that in Bullseye after "ready on the fire line" 3 seconds, pressure trigger, target turns. Sometimes I'm early, but most times it's perfect.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 12/8/2022, 12:54 am

Stan,

Breathe, breathe, breathe, lift.

Once you get the cadence drilled in your brain it almost becomes automatic (sometimes!).

JE is the guru for this stuff.

RoyDean

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down