Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Reloader powder reservoir

+6
Multiracer
ric1911a1
fc60
RodJ
zanemoseley
8eightring
10 posters

Go down

Star Reloader powder reservoir Empty Star Reloader powder reservoir

Post by 8eightring 12/16/2022, 2:26 pm

We have all been told to empty the powder tubes on our reloaders when finished reloading.  What is the proper way to empty the powder tube on a Star machine. Unscrewing the tube just empties powder all over the machine? Dismount the whole machine from its table and turn the whole thing upside down?
Enquiring minds want to know.
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Star Reloader powder reservoir Empty Re: Star Reloader powder reservoir

Post by zanemoseley 12/16/2022, 4:27 pm

I've never emptied powder hoppers between reloading sessions. Only thing is that it will discolor acrylic hoppers over time some.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 12/16/2022, 4:35 pm

It’s a mess, no trick to it that I’ve found. Ninja reflexes and a Tupperware container is what I do.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 12/16/2022, 4:54 pm

Greetings,

First, contact Bruce Williams at Star Machine and ask if he has any powder hoppers with the shutoff bar.

Meantime, unhook the heavy spring at the rear of the machine. Then, remove the 3/8" pin that connects the links to the tool head. Now, tap out the taper pin and remove the head and link arms.

Lift the head and powder measure off and empty the hopper.

Some powders will eat the plastic hopper and the chemical reaction causes "clumps" of powder. Not good when the "clump" works it's way down and blocks the drain hole.

I recall reading that unscrewing the hopper and carefully slipping a business card under the spout is another way to empty the hopper. Yes, there will be some slight spillage; but, powder is cheap.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by ric1911a1 12/16/2022, 5:45 pm

This is how I've always done it............

Ric

I recall reading that unscrewing the hopper and carefully slipping a business card under the spout is another way to empty the hopper. Yes, there will be some slight spillage; but, powder is cheap.
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

john bickar, bruce martindale and Goose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 12/16/2022, 6:25 pm

Sounds like there really isn't a good way to empty the hopper. And, powder isn't cheap where I live. Going for about $60 a pound at the LGS.
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 12/16/2022, 7:29 pm

ric1911a1 wrote:This is how I've always done it............

Ric

Used to be cheep !!

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 12/16/2022, 9:45 pm

It's usually recommended to not unscrew the powder hopper more than necessary. The threads are fine and easily cross threaded. The procedure Dave outlined is the correct one. Honestly, once you do it a time or two, it's not difficult at all. Takes me all of 30 seconds.

Dave

Edit: I forgot, if you have the Hulme case feeder and the Lee setup, there's a couple extra steps. Still not too difficult. I honestly just leave powder in the hopper.

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 12/16/2022, 10:02 pm

I left some Bullseye powder in a Lyman 55 measure for a short time, no more than a couple weeks. It literally ate the hopper up so bad that I had to replace it.
On previous loading sessions, I have left Bullseye in Dillon powder measures ( for months ) with no ill effects what so ever. Made out of different stuff I guess.
I am trying to be more careful now with the powder measures.
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 12/16/2022, 10:29 pm

Contact these folks. I have some reservoirs from them and they’re good quality.  They’re made from Pyrex tube and are inert to powders.

https://dramworx.com/
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 12/17/2022, 2:01 pm

ric1911a1 wrote:This is how I've always done it............

Ric

I didn’t mention the business card method - tried it but my coordination was lacking.  Will try Dave’s other method and also email Bruce. Didn’t realize he made something like that.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 12/17/2022, 2:30 pm

Greetings,

I just recalled having a Powder Measure that was "attacked" by an unknown powder.

I have seen similar damage to Lyman and RCBS measures.

Thinking back, Unique powder was the worst offender.

The glass tubes are interesting. Phelps loaders had glass tubes at one time.

The material used for the tubes is PolyCarbonate. I was told that clear PVC is also a possible choice.

Cheers,

Dave

Star Reloader powder reservoir Img_2013
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 12/17/2022, 2:31 pm

I have a powder measure tube that looks similar. Came on the press that way when I got it.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

8eightring likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rbwillnj 12/18/2022, 2:43 pm

These are the instructions I include with all of the reloaders I sell.   It's good to see that at least some have read them.

To empty the powder magazine, I remove the tool head, flip it over and dump it back into the powder container, then I turn it right side up and flick the powder slide with my finger a couple of times to make sure that and powder caught in the baffle area of the powder magazine is removed, a funnel comes in very handy.    Your thinking, boy that sounds like a lot of work, but really, it’s not.  It takes 30 Seconds Tops!
·       The first trick is to use a hitch pin instead of a standard cotter pin on the lower link pin to speed disassembly.                    
·       To empty the powder magazine…..
o   Rotate the shell plate slightly so the dowel pin can rest on the shell plate, then unhook the tool head spring from the spring anchor hook and let the Dowel Pin rest on the shell plate.
o   Pop out the taper pin, pull the hitch pin and remove the lower link pin.  
o   Then lift off the crank shaft assembly and tool head and empty the powder magazine as directed above.

And...if you do have a deformed or severely discolored powder magazine tube, I can rebuild your powder magazine

Bruce Williams
rbwillnj
rbwillnj

http://StarMachineWorks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rbwillnj 12/19/2022, 9:18 am

Oh, by the way,    while you have the tool head and crank shaft assembly off the machine, take a moment to wipe the column clean, apply some light oil to the column and a bit of Teflon grease to the keyway.

Bruce Williams
rbwillnj
rbwillnj

http://StarMachineWorks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 12/19/2022, 2:06 pm

Thanks, Bruce. Any chance there’s a YouTube video to follow along? Like my favorite books: few words, lots of pictures!

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down