Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.45 Auto loads. Process, prep, powder, variations etc.

+10
NukeMMC
Cmysix
Pac918
Wobbley
Chase Turner
DA/SA
Merick
SteveT
RodJ
Single_handed
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

.45 Auto loads. Process, prep, powder, variations etc. - Page 2 Empty .45 Auto loads. Process, prep, powder, variations etc.

Post by Single_handed Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:34 am

First topic message reminder :

I’ve been reading and watching any threads, posts, video, vhs, dvd, article, books and YouTube I can find. I’ve searched for as many load recipes as I could reasonably find that I would trust in my most favorite hand. I’ve read a lot of things on pet loads from the fabled “USMC load” down to John Q. Pistolero’s load that he claims will circumcise a knat at 100 yards. 
     Just about every reloading manual, article, forum, manufacturer, gunsmith, individual etc. etc. has a different answer. Each and every one recommends something different.  I’ve read a lot of posts here and elsewhere that says something to the effect of trimming pistol brass is as useful as spent primers. But then I read an article about loads where “trimming brass to a consistent length” made a noticeable improvement to the loads accuracy.  It makes sense to me in my plebeian rifle shooters brain that if the brass is all the same length, then it will contribute to consistency. Consistency= accuracy. Now before the “just pick one and shoot! Then shoot more etc. etc” crowd jumps to. I agree that practice and training are very important. But, you can’t shoot pool with a rope. I believe my equipment should ALWAYS be better than I am and I want to know it.  I want to know why?  

Act 1 Scene 1: The reloading bench…
     You are a new bullseye shooter, chasing the Distinguished Pistol Shot. You have decided that you will be doing so with a 1911.  You’ve got yourself a quality gun that will hold sub 10 ring with Atlanta Arms Ammo, the 185gn AMU load at the 50. 
The last few years you’ve collected components; starline brass, nosler 185’s, Fed GM primers and a veritable powder buffet. (N310, N320, Accurate #5, Bullseye, Win 231/HP 38, WST, Unique.  All of which were referred to “as the best” at one time or another) The press is ready, dies are set, fresh coffee, shop heater is humming.  Time to fill the case feeder, pick a powder, a charge weight and start pulling on that pretty blue handle. But so many choices!
My brain hurts…

So, my questions;
-1.)How do you prep brass?  New or used, Are you concerned with consistent case length?  Do you even measure?  Or just take it on faith that starline, Winchester, whomever are consistent enough to make it count.  Or, is good enough, well, good enough?  With all the primping, massaging and sweet talk I give my 600-1000y rifle brass, I sorta feel like I’m going from a high maintenance super model girlfriend to the Victory Drive daywalker. You get to play with it sooner with much less work, but you get what you get and hope it doesn’t leave you questioning your life’s decisions.

-2.) how many firings do you get out of your long & short line brass?  Do you keep brass separated, tracking firings or just throw it all in the same bag, rinse and repeat?

-3.)how did you decide on a powder?  Load development?  Anecdotal evidence?  Trustworthy source (I.e. manual, published info, friends)? In my experience shooter “A” (high master) says powder X is the only powder I’ll need.  I tell shooter B, who is also a H.M. And they say “why the hell you using that?  Use powder XX!  

-4.)Does anyone know the AMU .45 185gn load?  Curious what’s in their own magic recipe.

-5.)What, if any, changes do you make to your loads for the 25 & 50?  Or do you have a “one size fits all”. With the new rule changes, would you shoot different bullet weights or bullet types (jhp, swc, lead) at each yardage?  What about .38/.357 Revolver? 

-6.)Are pistols/revolvers at all O.A.L. sensitive?

I have a lot more, but this suddenly became a novel.  Sometimes I take forever to say nothing, so I apologize for the length. Thanks for reading and any help/advice is appreciated. 
Regards,
Rob
Single_handed
Single_handed

Back to top Go down

.45 Auto loads. Process, prep, powder, variations etc. - Page 2 Empty Re: .45 Auto loads. Process, prep, powder, variations etc.

Post by shanneba Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:02 pm

There are many older American Rifleman issues on archive.org (1923-2015)

March 1959-
American Rifleman 1959-03: Vol 107 Iss 3 (archive.org)

A complete listing -

American Rifleman 1923-2015

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2