Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SW Model 41 Malfunction

+4
saleen322
Steve K
bruce martindale
smlonbf
8 posters

Go down

SW Model 41 Malfunction Empty SW Model 41 Malfunction

Post by smlonbf 1/28/2023, 7:29 am

Last night in timed fire I was surprised by what seemed like a full auto 3 shot burst.  It didn't happen again the rest of the night but I wonder what could have caused it.  I am not a tinkerer - it's a stock gun and I had just cleaned it last week.  It's mid 80's gun, last gone over by Smith & Wesson at their place 3 years ago.

smlonbf

Back to top Go down

SW Model 41 Malfunction Empty Re: SW Model 41 Malfunction

Post by bruce martindale 1/28/2023, 8:44 am

Hmmm, not sure. If your finger bounced on the trigger in recoil that could do it. I’m thinking it takes a loose grip to allow that but not certain.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve K 1/28/2023, 4:02 pm

I had the same problem, but two round, intermittent, bursts. I took it to a gunsmith and all he did was clean it which solved the problem. He used acetone and a a dental pick. I clean it the same way after 500 rounds and still no more problems.

Steve K

Back to top Go down

Post by saleen322 1/28/2023, 4:17 pm

If you are able to recover the fired cases, check for firing pin strike marks on all of them. I say that because I repaired High Standards before where the case rim would not fit flush and then the rim got caught enough that the slide hit the side of the case rim and caused it to fire. The round would be fired but would have no firing pin hit. Cleaning the slide face so the round goes in place correctly will often fix that. Hope it helps.

saleen322

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 1/28/2023, 4:31 pm

Another possibility - broken firing pin. The pistol can work fine with one, but randomly start to slamfire if it gets out of position, then suddenly be fine again.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by NYKenn 1/28/2023, 5:27 pm

Had a model 41 go full auto at a match many years ago. Started intermittently. Within a week was full auto all the time. Disassembled and checked trigger, etc. without finding a problem. No apparent reason. Sent it back to S&W. Returned repaired three days before Perry No time to shoot it. Practice day went full auto. No satisfaction from S&W.
Went home and exchanged every part from another 41 one at a time until it did it again. The slide was the problem. Found the slide was worn on the inside. There is a small 1/2 moon notch on the right? side that the trigger bar moves into. That notch had worn at the top and was capturing the trigger bar every time. Back then $ 65.00 for a new slide and not a problem since. 
Gun was brand new in 1971, problem was early 80s with at least 100k rounds through it.

NYKenn

http://www.TheFiringLineOnline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 2/5/2023, 10:36 am

Seems like the trigger transfer bar is the cause of many malfunctions in these pistols
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 2/6/2023, 8:07 am

Overtravel to tight can cause this also.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down