Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steyr LP50

+4
Dcforman
messenger
Ray Dash
mutley
8 posters

Go down

Steyr LP50 Empty Steyr LP50

Post by mutley Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:49 pm

I'm considering the purchase of a Steyr LP50.  My original intent was to be able to practice for bullseye in my basement but the more I learn and read about those guns, the more I just want one.  They look like a blast.

I have a few questions though, I'm hoping some here can answer.
  1. What's the difference between the LP50RF and the other two (non HP and HP)?  I know the HP is just higher power then the non HP version but not sure how the RF differs.  
  2. Is the HP to loud for indoor use without ear pro?  I've read some reviews that suggest it's basically as loud as a .22lr.
  3. I realize the amount of rounds fired per tank can vary but it sounds like the non HP version gets around 100-120 rounds per tank.  How many does the HP version get?
  4. I'm leaning towards the Compact since it's closer in size to my Pardini.  Any reason I should consider the longer version instead?
  5. Is there any major disadvantage in going with a semi auto vs a single shot air pistol? 

mutley

Back to top Go down

Steyr LP50 Empty Re: Steyr LP50

Post by Ray Dash Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:15 pm

I can't answer most of the HP or RF questions but I can tell you that I went through the exact same questions. I was told that ANY of the LP50's can have the velocity turned up or down but after a few conversations I went with the standard velocity version because I was told that it is the most consistent and gets the most shots. If you plan to just shoot in your basement to practice Bullseye just like I do then I really don't see the need for the higher velocity. When you order yours from Pilk ask him to give you the heavier trigger spring, its a bit heavier than the stock spring and will be a little more like your 22 trigger. I also went with the compact version to try and match my 22 as close as possible. 

I liked my LP50 so much I bought a second one for my wife so she can kick my butt at that too. The bad news is they really are not the same as shooing 22 but in the off season they are still great practice to keep up your fundamentals and are pretty cheap to shoot too. 

One other thing that you have to think about is how you are going to get air into your tank? I went with a nice pump only because I wanted to get a little work out......it def it a work out.

Now if you plan to compete in any air pistol leagues I am not sure the LP50 would be the best choice, they do make a single shot mag but its a pain to use compared to just single loading like the LP10. Either way Steyr pistol's are great quality, if I had my choice I would take the Walther grip on the Steyr pistol and it would be perfect for me.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:44 pm

I love my LP50. A friend of mine built a turning target system and we shoot matches in his basement. He has it timed to range commands for rapid and timed and slow. To save time we each have six magazines. My son printed me a loader:

Go on You Tube and key in LP50 Speed Loader

I would suggest getting an air tank which you can refill your cylinders in a matter of seconds. I bought mine for $100 and the dive shop only charges me $10 to fill it. The LP50 does come with a single shot magazine.

Bill

Last edited by messenger on Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:55 pm

In answering 4 and 5...

Honestly, compared to a high end single shot air pistol, the trigger is not great. Mushy and a pretty long roll. Yes, it can be adjusted, but it has nowhere near the potential of a single shot pistol. It's just the result of the trigger pull having to double as the actuating mechanism for the magazine. Therefore, if you plan on competing in actual 10m air pistol events, you probably don't want an LP50. However, it is cool, and I do like mine a lot. Even though the lack of recoil means it's not exactly like shooting a TF or RF string, it's still good training to learn how to keep your focus where it needs to be through a string (for me, on the trigger). So if that's how you're going to use it, then the compact is probably the better option anyway.

Dave

Dcforman

Ray Dash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mutley Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:17 pm

Thanks guys for all the responses!  Filling the tank is another open question for me.  I really don't want to have to go somewhere to fill tanks so I'm leaning towards a high PSI pump.  Anyone use those?  

This is the one I'm leaning towards.  https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Auto-Shut-Set-Pressure-Paintball-Separator/dp/B0BLSCHCSG/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=4500+psi+air+compressor&qid=1676738060&sprefix=4500+psi%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-3

mutley

Back to top Go down

Post by mutley Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:29 pm

I was leaning towards a Pardini K12 until I learned about the LP50.  It was the semi auto feature that is drew  me to it.  

Ray and DC, with the lack of recoil you mention.... do you think the LP50 is helping you at all with your Timed and Rapid Fire in bullseye?  If the value is minimal to none, I may go with a cheaper single shot option.    

Ray you mention the heaver trigger spring... how does the trigger in general compare to some of the .22 pistols?  That itself might be valuable.  I'm told that the triggers in the high end single shot air pistols are far superior and nothing like even the Pardini SP trigger.  I guess that's good and bad depending on how you look at it.

mutley

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:03 pm

It has helped me. For me, a big issue with sustained fire was that I would get distracted by shot placement, then would have hesitations on trigger, followed by eventual rushing and jerking. Being able to run a bunch of strings with commands on my phone has helped me learn to keep my focus where it needs to be through the whole string. This is starting to translate to powder burners (shot RF cleans in each of my last two weeks of league!).

Grip and recovery are two skills that I feel good about. If those areas are problems, then an LP50 probably won't help much.

Finally, I shoot a Morini 200 for AP competition, if that tells you anything. Although I shot a 95 on a standard target with the LP50 this morning! Too bad they don't allow 5 shot magazines in competition!

Dave

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:38 pm

mutley wrote:I was leaning towards a Pardini K12 until I learned about the LP50.  It was the semi auto feature that is drew  me to it.  

Ray and DC, with the lack of recoil you mention.... do you think the LP50 is helping you at all with your Timed and Rapid Fire in bullseye?  If the value is minimal to none, I may go with a cheaper single shot option.    

Ray you mention the heaver trigger spring... how does the trigger in general compare to some of the .22 pistols?  That itself might be valuable.  I'm told that the triggers in the high end single shot air pistols are far superior and nothing like even the Pardini SP trigger.  I guess that's good and bad depending on how you look at it.
Honesty I think just shooting more without having to leave my house has improved my shooting for sure. The trigger on the LP50 with the heavier spring feels lighter than my 22’s but not as nice. The LP50 trigger doesn’t feel like a high end single shot AP but it is not horrible either, just different is about the only way to describe it. I definitely would not let the trigger be the deciding point on buying one. Like I said I liked mine so much I bought my wife one. She was struggling with rapid fire and the LP50 really helped her. I never thought in a million years I would spend almost $2300 on an air pistol but I have no regrets. Keep an eye open you may be able to get one used, that is how I bought my wife’s LP50.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by mutley Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:55 pm

Ray Dash wrote:
mutley wrote:I was leaning towards a Pardini K12 until I learned about the LP50.  It was the semi auto feature that is drew  me to it.  

Honesty I think just shooting more without having to leave my house has improved my shooting for sure. The trigger on the LP50 with the heavier spring feels lighter than my 22’s but not as nice. The LP50 trigger doesn’t feel like a high end single shot AP but it is not horrible either, just different is about the only way to describe it. I definitely would not let the trigger be the deciding point on buying one. Like I said I liked mine so much I bought my wife one. She was struggling with rapid fire and the LP50 really helped her. I never thought in a million years I would spend almost $2300 on an air pistol but I have no regrets. Keep an eye open you may be able to get one used, that is how I bought my wife’s LP50.

I hear you on that part.  But I tell myself, it will get shot more than any gun in my inventory.  With work, home life commitments and the distance I have to travel to shoot I get to go to the range maybe 3-4 per month.  I dry fire almost daily so I'll just weave air pistol time in with that.

mutley

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:55 pm

I have the compact and also use a scuba tank for refills. No need for hearing protection indoors. I think it helps but as others mentioned the trigger is not crisp like a single shot model or a good .22. You can adjust it to 2# but it's a long-ish roll to be reliable and reset. On mine I notice the speed drop off as the cylinder pressure nears empty (but it still fires), so you have to be aware of that. I use it to practice rapid strings, focusing primarily on maintaining front sight alignment and staying on target during a string. I would not use it if you are serious about AP competition.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Steyr LP50 Empty Steyr LP50

Post by Rob22 Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:52 pm

LP50 RF is built with a couple more joules of power to shoot at 25 meters for mens rapid fire pistol, this is per Steyr's catalog. I have shot mine at 25 yards at B2 and B3 targets and have been amazed at how great it really is, have cleaned timed fire targets with it. Use match pellets at 25 yards it makes a difference.

I have set the LP50 to match trigger pull, weight of gun and balance of a Benelli 90s. I shoot it in the basement at 28 ft. indoor range at 10 meter and 50 ft and outdoors at 25 yards with both iron and ultra dot sights. My safe has Hammerli, Benelli and others and this gun is one of my favorite  to shoot. Steyr has really done a great job of duplicating a 22 match pistol with air. 

For those of you that say the LP50 and LP5 do not have the trigger of a single shot air pistol you are right however single shot air pistol make poor semi-autos. The trigger is very adjustable and is almost hard to make it feel like a 22 match pistol because it's so much better than a Hammerli or Benelli trigger. Most people, not all will find the tigger will work find for a single shot air pistol match. It can be set to come close to a LP10, close not same as.

At our range in West Seattle we have set up a 5 target rapid fire target bay with turning targets and are have a great time sharing the 5 shot air pistols that a few of us have. It's not up all the time, when we are between seasons or events it's a great fun.

If you get one of these buy lots of pellets you will be amazed at how many you go though. Five shot strings one after another.

Rob22

Back to top Go down

Post by mutley Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:37 pm

Does anyone know what the LP50 generally sells for used?  I'm not necessarily looking to buy a used one... seems like they don't come up much.  More curious what I'd get back out of it should I decide to sell it down the road.

Only example I could find of a high end airpistol having recently sold was a Steyr LP2 on ebay that went for about half of what they sell for new.  Kind of concerning.

mutley

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:10 pm

I paid $1500 for mine with expired cylinders. I was told that was a steal. YMMV

Bill
messenger
messenger

mutley likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:31 pm

If HP tanks and pumps don’t appeal, I got an LP5 used off of gunbroker(than I was before).com for $800. Probably obsolete but liquid CO2 seemed a lot less trouble. I like mine but frankly I’m more likely to pull out my izh46m SSP. Even less fussing around.

I’m a novice marksman so I can only comment on the muss and fuss factor, but I do like that the LP5 came with two triggers. One super light and the other 1kg (I think). Both adjustable.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:30 pm

mutley wrote:Does anyone know what the LP50 generally sells for used?  I'm not necessarily looking to buy a used one... seems like they don't come up much.  More curious what I'd get back out of it should I decide to sell it down the road.

Only example I could find of a high end airpistol having recently sold was a Steyr LP2 on ebay that went for about half of what they sell for new.  Kind of concerning.
I paid $1600 for a used one but both cylinders were still good for 3 years for so.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

mutley likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lyoke Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:44 am

There is another 5 shot air pistol coming out this year (supposed to be Q1 2023) from FWB. It is the P85. There is not a ton of information on it at the moment but it may be worth a look before the purchase of the Steyr.

lyoke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down