Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Consulting a gunsmith about Domino FAS 602 during the National Matches at Perry

5 posters

Go down

Consulting a gunsmith about Domino FAS 602 during the National Matches at Perry Empty Consulting a gunsmith about Domino FAS 602 during the National Matches at Perry

Post by Oleg G 3/9/2023, 12:35 pm

My Domino FAS 602 continues to trouble me.

The problem with the pistol is that all ammo brands and types that I have tried (see the list below) produce intermittent flyers into the 8 and 7 rings - at least one per 5-rounds string. These flyers always show signs of the bullet keyholing - oblong holes, vs regular round holes. And this is evident even at 25 yards. At 50 yards the accuracy is horrible. It does not matter whether I shoot Slow Fire or Sustained Fire.

1. Geco Rifle
2. Geco Match
3. SK Standard+
4. Eley Target
5. CCI Standard Velocity
6. Norma TAC-22
7. SK Pistol Match Special

All the ammo above functions perfectly in my AW93.

The pistol is old, so I ordered a brand new barrel from Italy and it did not produce an appreciable change with these flyers.

I will bring the pistol and all spare part I have for it, including the old barrel, with me to Camp Perry. I would like to find out, if one of our esteemed pistol smiths will be there and, if they would agree to take a look at the pistol. I am not asking for on-the-spot repair but simply to have the pistol evaluated for possible repair.

I like this pistol very much but in its current state I cannot use it for competition.

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Consulting a gunsmith about Domino FAS 602 during the National Matches at Perry Empty Re: Consulting a gunsmith about Domino FAS 602 during the National Matches at Perry

Post by Tripscape 3/9/2023, 2:18 pm

Oleg,
I am no gunsmith, but as far as I know heyholing is a function of barrel or ammo. Being that you replaced barrels consider this. From what I know Domino pistols were intoduced around 1970's in Europe. By European standards the ammo at that time may have been dimensionally slightly larger. At least I know that is true for USSR belt countries. Maybe the twist rate + barrel spec + current ammo spec = error. Is keyholing observed at all ranges or just the long range?
Yevgeny

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Consulting a gunsmith about Domino FAS 602 during the National Matches at Perry Empty Re: Consulting a gunsmith about Domino FAS 602 during the National Matches at Perry

Post by Jon Eulette 3/9/2023, 2:31 pm

Keyholes in 22 caliber can be attributed to crown and poor rifling in my experience. I have seen several new Italian barrels over the years with bad/poor rifling when factory new.
You might also check your recoil spring. I cannot remember how heavy the slide is on those pistols. I’m not sure is it comes out of battery too fast if it can keyhole the shots. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 3/9/2023, 3:10 pm

Maybe just reline one of those barrels??
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

BE Mike and Arthur like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 3/9/2023, 6:26 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. This is why I want to bring it to Perry with me to have a competent person diagnose the issue and and recommend a solution.

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 3/11/2023, 6:35 pm

Scott Pilkington was a regular presence at Perry. Not sure if he still makes the trip. I bet Scott or Buck would be able to diagnose a FAS.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 3/12/2023, 7:33 am

Thanks, Robert. That is a brilliant idea. I will call Pilkington's to find out, if they are coming to Perry this year. I trust both Scott and Buck implicitly. 

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down