Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A bit off topic- does anyone know which AL alloy is used for CCI Blazer Aluminum?

2 posters

Go down

A bit off topic- does anyone know which AL alloy is used for CCI Blazer Aluminum? Empty A bit off topic- does anyone know which AL alloy is used for CCI Blazer Aluminum?

Post by Chase Turner 3/10/2023, 8:18 am

Hello,

By chance, does anyone know what sort of aluminum alloy is used for cartridge cases from CCI? And if you don't know, but could hazard a guess, which do you think it might be? I don't need to know the specific type, of course- mostly want to read up on the family of the alloy that is being used.

Thanks,
Chase

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

A bit off topic- does anyone know which AL alloy is used for CCI Blazer Aluminum? Empty Re: A bit off topic- does anyone know which AL alloy is used for CCI Blazer Aluminum?

Post by DA/SA 3/10/2023, 8:31 am

Not specifically CCI, but this manufacturer uses 6061 heat treated to T6.

http://www.jlometal.com/aluminum-alloy-cartridge-cases.html

The patent on aluminum cases doesn't specify the alloy designation, just that it is a Aluminum, Copper, Magnesium, Silicone alloy.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Chase Turner likes this post

Back to top Go down

A bit off topic- does anyone know which AL alloy is used for CCI Blazer Aluminum? Empty Re: A bit off topic- does anyone know which AL alloy is used for CCI Blazer Aluminum?

Post by Chase Turner 3/10/2023, 12:49 pm

First- thank you for the assist. I hunted on the internet and appear to have gotten tunnel vision in my query, which did not produce good results and hence why I asked here.

I did a little more research based on your link and turned up an interesting report from the Army on using AL for lightweight cases for 5.56. Don't know what the conclusion is, but the contractor that worked on the project was ATK, who of course was CCI at the time, and now goes by the name Vista Outdoors. The neat detail they mention is that the cases they made for their project was 7475 alloy.

Whether that translates to what CCI does today, who knows. But it was a neat find nevertheless.

If anyone would like a little light reading, the link to the Army report is here.

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down