Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using 45-HTC & 45-HTC-FB PTUs on SDB presses.

4 posters

Go down

Using 45-HTC & 45-HTC-FB PTUs on SDB presses. Empty Using 45-HTC & 45-HTC-FB PTUs on SDB presses.

Post by PhotoEscape 3/25/2023, 5:11 pm

Per the title of this topic.  Recently within span of a week I was contacted by two shooters, who recently purchased 45-HTC PTUs.  Both use SDB presses, and reported PTUs being short.  Both were not able to adjust powder die in SDB press down sufficiently enough to take advantage of the full length of the expander.  Since I do not have SDB press my first suggestion was to use appropriate size washer, and second was using 0.500" spacer.  Based on testing done by one of the shooters, both options provided with needed functionality.  However both options have shortcomings.  Washer that was used allowed for accumulation of the powder around it since its OD didn't match OD of the PTU.  0.500" spacer forces powder bar to stay slightly off to the right from full return position.  It doesn't affect powder drop accuracy and doesn't activate bar enough for powder drop on empty station.  It just looks incorrect.

With that I am interested to find out from as many folks who use SDB presses in combination with HTC PTUs.  I presume, 9mm/38 - HTC PTUs are also affected by the issue.  It appears that solution to the issue at hand is quite simple - adding 0.250" spacer. 

Appreciate the feedback!

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Pinetree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Using 45-HTC & 45-HTC-FB PTUs on SDB presses. Empty Re: Using 45-HTC & 45-HTC-FB PTUs on SDB presses.

Post by Pinetree 3/25/2023, 5:20 pm

I received my (non HTC) funnel yesterday and have about 150 rounds through it already. It works great with the SDB.. I no longer have to fuss around trying to get the bullet to sit squarely in the case.

There's a small "hitch" in the return stroke that I had never noticed before, but that could be my imagination.. a tiny bit of RCBS case lube made things much easier.. I'd never tried it before with the carbide dies, but will be using it going forward.

Bottom line: I should have bought it years ago.

Last edited by Pinetree on 3/26/2023, 10:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Using 45-HTC & 45-HTC-FB PTUs on SDB presses. Empty Re: Using 45-HTC & 45-HTC-FB PTUs on SDB presses.

Post by BHeintz 3/25/2023, 6:45 pm

The Square Deal B uses dies specific to only that press. It's a different setup compared to the other Dillon presses. I don't recall what the difference is, and not sure if this helps you. But thought I would let you know, if you didn't already know this.

BHeintz

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner 3/26/2023, 5:58 am

I use a SQD-B and had one of your PTUs, but sold it as it didn't work with the press. I thought I emailed you about how it was too long, but perhaps I didn't.

In any case, no, your PTUs don't work with a SQDB in 38 for sure. Won't purchase another if I have to add a spacer- if you can't make a drop in part, no problem. But adding more complexity isn't a sustainable answer for me, regardless of how simple it may be.

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 3/26/2023, 8:07 am

Chase Turner wrote:I use a SQD-B and had one of your PTUs, but sold it as it didn't work with the press. I thought I emailed you about how it was too long, but perhaps I didn't.

In any case, no, your PTUs don't work with a SQDB in 38 for sure. Won't purchase another if I have to add a spacer- if you can't make a drop in part, no problem. But adding more complexity isn't a sustainable answer for me, regardless of how simple it may be.

Chase,

I specifically asked about 45-HTC PTUs.  Yours was 38 WC, and it didn't work and will not work with SDB.  The reason is not the length of the PTU, but rather timing of the indexing.  So, let's not confuse one with another.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner 3/26/2023, 5:35 pm

PhotoEscape wrote:...
With that I am interested to find out from as many folks who use SDB presses in combination with HTC PTUs.  I presume, 9mm/38 - HTC PTUs are also affected by the issue.  It appears that solution to the issue at hand is quite simple - adding 0.250" spacer. 

Appreciate the feedback!

AP
I specifically asked about 45-HTC PTUs.  Yours was 38 WC, and it didn't work and will not work with SDB.  The reason is not the length of the PTU, but rather timing of the indexing.  So, let's not confuse one with another.

AP-

The confusion appears to be on your end, but I'm happy to let that go. My feedback remains the same, however. A spacer is a no go and a kludgy answer to this issue, in my opinion, of course.

It would have been nice to know that such a product would not work in a SQDB before I bought it. Don't you think you could mention that in the product description for this item so as to remove any future confusion for others? It certainly would help eliminate future feedback like mine.

Thanks,
Chase

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 3/26/2023, 6:48 pm

Chase Turner..... wrote:......
It would have been nice to know that such a product would not work in a SQDB before I bought it. Don't you think you could mention that in the product description for this item so as to remove any future confusion for others? It certainly would help eliminate future feedback like mine.

Thanks,
Chase
Chase,

38 WC PTUs were introduced around August of 2019.  You purchased one in the middle of the September of 2019.  Since I do not have SDB (and never did) I could not test this type of PTUs.  That is why I rely on community for the feedback and offer unconditional 100% refund for any of my products that do not work (provided I'm contacted within reasonable time frame).  So, yes, "It would have been nice to know that such a product would not work in a SQDB before YOU bought it."  However, retrospectively at the time of your purchase I DID NOT KNOW!!  However your point is well taken.  I do know now, and it is inexcusable that I to this day didn't post disclaimer on the corresponding webpage on Photo Escape's website.  It will be corrected soon.

Now, the reason behind this thread is exactly that, - I am asking folks to provide me with feedback regarding usage of particular type of PTUs on particular platform, SDB specifically since I do not have it.  Once I accumulate feedback, I will post updates here on the forum, and as well on corresponding pages of the website.  I will also inform my resellers, so they provide information to their customers.

With that said, I respect your opinion regarding using spacers, and I'm not going to try changing it.  Obviously my opinion is different, and that is the reason for their existence.  I personally use them in reloading for multiple calibers in presses that I own (XL650/XL750/RL1050/Super1050).

Thank you,
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down