Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nelson Conversion Bullet Shaving

5 posters

Go down

Nelson Conversion Bullet Shaving Empty Nelson Conversion Bullet Shaving

Post by estuck 6/29/2023, 6:42 pm

I have read previous posts about this and magazine issues. Reintroducing it to see if anyone has advice.  I received my Nelson back from David Sams. He built a dedicated Caspian lower, and relined the barrel. I am having problems with the tip of the bullet being shaved as it hits the top edge of the chamber. David called me about the problem prior to shipping out the gun, and suggested that I purchase metal magazines that he can tune to the pistol. I bought two GSG mags.and the problem persists. Being a cast magazine. it probably cannot be tuned. I contacted Larry who is very busy these days. He instructed me on how to fit the magazines.  I filed a small amount of material from the top of the mag catch notch. lowering the magazine so it does not touch the ejector. It didnt help.I was going to try Triple K mags but read where they are of questionable quality, and they are currently out of stock. Just bid on three Colt Ace mags on Gun Broker for $350. Dawson Precision offers a mag catch that lowers the mag .010. Anyone have experience with this? Test target from Sams is 1 inch at 50 yards. He said the bullet getting beat up will definately affect accuracy. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

estuck

Back to top Go down

Nelson Conversion Bullet Shaving Empty Re: Nelson Conversion Bullet Shaving

Post by Wes Lorenz 6/29/2023, 7:13 pm

Sorry to hear of your problem. I have three conversions - Kart, Nelson, an Marvel. The Marvel was a problem child until I tried one of the  Kart magazines in which someone had filed the magazine notch to lower the magazine in their conversion. This magazine didn't work in the Kart conversion, but fixed the Marvel's problem.
I have a bunch of Triple K's and can send you one for free to see if it works, just PM me.
Hope you fix your Issue.

Wes Lorenz

Jon Eulette likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 6/29/2023, 7:18 pm

I use Colt Ace magazine’s on all my conversions.
I use EGW high mag catch. I modify my magazine to sit higher; shorten to clear ejector and rebend feed lips. Feeds straight in.
You can get Ace mags to work good without raising with EGW mag catch.
GSG, Nelson mags do not control the front of cartridge. So during recoil the cartridge flips up and you get deformed bullet tip. 
Also if your recoil spring is too light you get excessive recoil that promotes cartridge flipping up during cycling.
Hope this answers your question.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 6/29/2023, 7:53 pm

Curious, what ammo are you using?
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by estuck 6/29/2023, 8:24 pm

Should be getting the Ace mags soon. Are the Triple K mags any good?

estuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 6/30/2023, 8:14 am

I have a New Ace Mag, never used and plan to try it in my homemade .22 conversion. Lips are quite a bit longer than the ones that come with the Nelson. Also have a Metalform Ace mag that is the same as the Colt. No longer available from Metalform. I did order 4 Triple K mags from Browells. First one I tried the round is directed right of the chamber and will hit the extractor slot. Didn't open the other 3! Metal looks thinner and seems to be a cheapened version of the Ace. Maybe after I complete the project I'll try them but they will need tweaking! What I did do is move my barrel back about 1/4" and using  the German GSG M-1911 modified as done by AMU. However it sill has short lips but in my conversion the bullet is just entering the chamber when round leaves the mag. lips.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by estuck 6/30/2023, 8:20 pm

Talked to Larry from Nelson today. He is convinced the shaving is due to the relining of the barrel. He said the Nelson chamber face is "rolled" so the bullet slides in to the chamber. Does not think it is a magazine issue. Also said Bob (assuming Bob Marvel) feels the shaved bullet will not affect accuracy in a .22. Not going to give up on having the Ace magazines tuned for this pistol. I am using Eley Club, Ans SK Pistol Match ammo.

estuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 6/30/2023, 9:41 pm

A photo of the shaved bullet will help. I would not recommend relining a Nelson Barrel but other than the chamber "rolling" the relining will not cause the problem. The problem is probably due to the gap the bullet must jump after leaving the magazine lips. You can see that if you close the slide very slowly by hand. Another problem is getting Colt Ace magazines, they are not cheap!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down