Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FEET PER SECOND?????????????????

+4
Eindecker
Allgoodhits
Wobbley
james r chapman
8 posters

Go down

FEET PER SECOND????????????????? Empty FEET PER SECOND?????????????????

Post by Cmysix Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:55 pm

I have started my journey into pistol reloading and I am doing quite well I think I am shooting powder and primers I inherited from my Dad, I recently opened a 15 pound can of Hercules Bullseye, I also found load data from Hercules from 1986 I believe, it says a 230 grain round nose with 5.0 grains of bullseye is propelled at 905 FPS, I do have the bug to shoot bullseye BUT at the moment I am shooting IDPA AND USPSA. I do not have a chrono fo pistol and have not done a qualifier with the chrono there, SO I am trying to reduce the load but still stay within their "power factor" rules, I have been load 4.5 grains of the Bullseye but have no idea how much I reduced the fps, any guesses?  I need to stay above 720 FPS with a 230 grain bullet.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

FEET PER SECOND????????????????? Empty Re: FEET PER SECOND?????????????????

Post by james r chapman Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:37 pm

https://shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/45-auto/

Your about there.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:12 pm

If 720 is your absolute minimum, I’d load 4.6.  4.5 will likely give an average of 730 this means you could get a minimum reading below 720.  4.6 will give an average of 750 and that gives a bit more margin.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Cmysix likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:24 am

Wobbley wrote:If 720 is your absolute minimum, I’d load 4.6.  4.5 will likely give an average of 730 this means you could get a minimum reading below 720.  4.6 will give an average of 750 and that gives a bit more margin.
TY! At their digression they can ask for your ammo to test it, what I have already has been dropping at 4.6-4.7, So I guess I will just leave the dropper alone.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:29 am

If 230 lead, less powder. You did not specify. 

It appears you are in need of a "not less than" 165K PF. With a 230 that's about 717 fps. Since you are shooting 230 gr bullets then small increases in velocity really helps meet the PF requirements. 730 ish PF should yield a sufficient cushion as an avg provided no one shot is under 717. Adjust accordingly.
Since you are using BE, it typically is very consistent.
I'm not sure if the formulation of "old" Hercules Bullseye is the same as Alliant Bullseye. Since you have 15 lbs of it that should not be a problem for quite some time. 22K+/- rds.
Last, with a 230 gr load a 15-20 fps velocity change is noticeable, so do some loading and get to a chrono and get your load down to the 725-740 fps range. Lower the better, making sure you are sure of the minimum 165K PF needs, which is around 717 fps.

Loading is like a good carpenter. Measure twice, cut once.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:35 pm

well  depends on the WEATHER.... temp, humidity, etc. 

been told that with rifle ammo you can get a significant 10% increase in pressure between ammo you load for use in winter when you use it in summer.

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:46 pm

Allgoodhits wrote:If 230 lead, less powder. You did not specify. 

It appears you are in need of a "not less than" 165K PF. With a 230 that's about 717 fps. Since you are shooting 230 gr bullets then small increases in velocity really helps meet the PF requirements. 730 ish PF should yield a sufficient cushion as an avg provided no one shot is under 717. Adjust accordingly.
Since you are using BE, it typically is very consistent.
I'm not sure if the formulation of "old" Hercules Bullseye is the same as Alliant Bullseye. Since you have 15 lbs of it that should not be a problem for quite some time. 22K+/- rds.
Last, with a 230 gr load a 15-20 fps velocity change is noticeable, so do some loading and get to a chrono and get your load down to the 725-740 fps range. Lower the better, making sure you are sure of the minimum 165K PF needs, which is around 717 fps.

Loading is like a good carpenter. Measure twice, cut once.

YES! I have a good source of very good coated lead round nose, 230 grain no lube groove beveled base. from what I have seen in the load data new VS. old the old bullseye seems to be a bit hotter, with what I have loaded so far have shot really well and consistent, Had a bunch of berry's plated, have shot my way through those and now on to the coated, was using a Lee powder dropper that cheap plastic one , it worked really well and when I weighed charges it was always within .1 grn, but the drum was not as smooth as one would like, I found a RCBS uniflow with both drums in great shape.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:28 am

Eindecker wrote:well  depends on the WEATHER.... temp, humidity, etc. 

been told that with rifle ammo you can get a significant 10% increase in pressure between ammo you load for use in winter when you use it in summer.

I've heard all that too, I have a friend that cuts grains with a razor, not going down that rat hole.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by only_8_ring Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:24 pm

I need ear protection for that thread title.

only_8_ring

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:59 pm

Cmysix wrote:I have started my journey into pistol reloading and I am doing quite well I think I am shooting powder and primers I inherited from my Dad, I recently opened a 15 pound can of Hercules Bullseye, I also found load data from Hercules from 1986 I believe, it says a 230 grain round nose with 5.0 grains of bullseye is propelled at 905 FPS, I do have the bug to shoot bullseye BUT at the moment I am shooting IDPA AND USPSA. I do not have a chrono fo pistol and have not done a qualifier with the chrono there, SO I am trying to reduce the load but still stay within their "power factor" rules, I have been load 4.5 grains of the Bullseye but have no idea how much I reduced the fps, any guesses?  I need to stay above 720 FPS with a 230 grain bullet.

When my friends and I began loading the 230gr FMJ for Service Pistol EIC matches we wanted to replicate the 820fps of the military match ammo.  That was using 5.0grs. of Bullseye.  Try this site:
https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=1&cartridge=35

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:22 pm

mbmshooter wrote:
Cmysix wrote:I have started my journey into pistol reloading and I am doing quite well I think I am shooting powder and primers I inherited from my Dad, I recently opened a 15 pound can of Hercules Bullseye, I also found load data from Hercules from 1986 I believe, it says a 230 grain round nose with 5.0 grains of bullseye is propelled at 905 FPS, I do have the bug to shoot bullseye BUT at the moment I am shooting IDPA AND USPSA. I do not have a chrono fo pistol and have not done a qualifier with the chrono there, SO I am trying to reduce the load but still stay within their "power factor" rules, I have been load 4.5 grains of the Bullseye but have no idea how much I reduced the fps, any guesses?  I need to stay above 720 FPS with a 230 grain bullet.

When my friends and I began loading the 230gr FMJ for Service Pistol EIC matches we wanted to replicate the 820fps of the military match ammo.  That was using 5.0grs. of Bullseye.  Try this site:
https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=1&cartridge=35

YES, TY! I am fully capable of finding CURRENT load data, IF you read what I said you would see that I just opened a 15 pound keg of HERCULES BULLSEYE AND I also said that I had LOAD DATA from HERCULES from 1986(I believe) THAT data says that a 230 grain FMC 5.0 grain is 905 FPS and a 230 grain lead 4.0 grains at 810 FPS, I I said I had just shot up all the plated bullets I had and I am moving to coated 230 grain LRN, my basic question was how much I could reduce the load and stay in IDPA and USPSA MAJOR POWER factor.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:01 pm

How’s it smell!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:02 pm

Greetings,

You need access to a chronograph.

Currently, you are guessing at the end results.

Powder lots vary, the change from real FMJ bullets to the "coated" ones or "plated" ones do not produce the same results.

Find someone at the local range with one of those Orange LabRadar devices. Bring a box of doughnuts and introduce yourself.

Then, write down the results taking care to document everything in detail.

Even temperature has an affect. i.e. 45 F to 90 F the velocity does change.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Cmysix likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:22 am

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

You need access to a chronograph.

Currently, you are guessing at the end results.

Powder lots vary, the change from real FMJ bullets to the "coated" ones or "plated" ones do not produce the same results.

Find someone at the local range with one of those Orange LabRadar devices. Bring a box of doughnuts and introduce yourself.

Then, write down the results taking care to document everything in detail.

Even temperature has an affect. i.e. 45 F to 90 F the velocity does change.

Cheers,

Dave

YES! TY! My gun club has one of those and I will have to find out when it is at the range.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:28 am

james r chapman wrote:How’s it smell!

It smells just like new, James. I transferred it to plastic jugs with better caps then the metal keg and the inside of the keg looked new too NO RUST. I have also opened a 20 pound keg 0f DuPont IMR 4350 and the same thing! The bullseye shoots well, not smokey a little bit of carbon on the outside of the muzzle of the gun, maybe a little more crimp?
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:20 pm

Cmysix wrote:

It smells just like new, James. I transferred it to plastic jugs with better caps then the metal keg and the inside of the keg looked new too NO RUST. I have also opened a 20 pound keg 0f DuPont IMR 4350 and the same thing! The bullseye shoots well, not smokey a little bit of carbon on the outside of the muzzle of the gun, maybe a little more crimp?
Greetings,

Do the plastic jugs have a "2" inside of a triangle?

Some plastics will react with smokeless powder.

All the plastic powder bottles I have are marked "2" on the bottom.

Also, use black plastic to keep the light out. Light will degrade the powder.

Truthfully, the original metal can would be best if it is not rusting.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:41 pm

fc60 wrote:
Cmysix wrote:

Greetings,

Do the plastic jugs have a "2" inside of a triangle?

Some plastics will react with smokeless powder.

All the plastic powder bottles I have are marked "2" on the bottom.

Also, use black plastic to keep the light out. Light will degrade the powder.

Truthfully, the original metal can would be best if it is not rusting.

Cheers,

Dave
Yes1 I ordered the jugs from US PLASTIC, the same jugs the powder ind uses, black and the caps are a step up from the ones your used to, the cap on the metal kegs seal wonderfully the first they were put on, not so much after they are removed, would have been nice to have a threaded cap with a seal liner.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down