Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burris FF-III mount for Springfield Range Officer?

+2
Rob Kovach
igolfat8
6 posters

Go down

Burris FF-III mount for Springfield Range Officer? Empty Burris FF-III mount for Springfield Range Officer?

Post by igolfat8 12/4/2013, 8:31 am

I know most of you guys use Ultra Dots but since I already have a FF-III I plan to use that sight. Burris lists two 1911 mounts for their Fast Fire III red dot sight:
410321 Mount - 1911 Standard 
410322 Mount - 1911 Adjustable/Novak 

Which one is the best fit for the S/A Range Officer? 

How is the rear sight held on? Is it a friction fit in the dovetail which requires a drift to remove or is the rear mount bolted to the slide?

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Burris FF-III mount for Springfield Range Officer? Empty Re: Burris FF-III mount for Springfield Range Officer?

Post by Rob Kovach 12/4/2013, 5:34 pm

A new shooter that I have been helping had the same thought--he didn't want to get the slide drilled, so he ordered the FastFire III and the 410322.  I already had a 410321.

Neither one of those fit AT ALL.  Burris said that they don't make a base that matches the Springfield adjustable sight cut.  They rattled off a list of other manufacturer's parts that could be mixed together to work.

Instead we are just going to use the 410322 base and have a machinist make a dovetail to fit.

The way the FFs mount is the fast fire dovetail has 2 threaded holes in it.  That peice fits loosely in the dovetail.  You bolt the mounting plate to the dovetail peice and the tightening of the 2 snugs everything up.  Then you bolt the FastFire to the plate.

My first red dot on a .45 was a FastFire II and I liked it.  I upgraded to a gun with a slide mounted rail already on it.  I like that better.  I say just go with the rail--the FastFire/Springfield issue hasn't been resolved yet...
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Burris FF-III mount for Springfield Range Officer? Empty Re: Burris FF-III mount for Springfield Range Officer?

Post by igolfat8 12/4/2013, 8:54 pm

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Whose rail do you suggest?

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 12/4/2013, 10:41 pm

My favorite on the market is from www.marvelcustomguns.com but that website is down when I just checked.

You can't go wrong with a clark rail: http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/handgun-bases/1911-auto-slide-mounted-scope-base-prod5001.aspx
ANY competent machinist can drill and tap your slide.

I prefer the lifetime guaranteed 1" Ultradot with the supplied rings:
http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Ultra-Dot-1-Black__UD1B.aspx

Don't use loc-tite on the bolts for the rings--steel bolts+aluminum rings with loc-tite=broken bolts or stripped threads.

It's ok to use BLUE loc-tite on the bolts for the rail to the slide--steel bolts and steel slide.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 12/5/2013, 7:27 am

Rob,
Of the two Burris mounts which one was the best fit to the slide? I can probably make my own dovetail wedge out of cold rolled steel.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 12/5/2013, 2:39 pm

I'll have to look at them both again...and get back to you....
I found the phone number for the Marvel Custom Guns rails since the website is down. 410-557-6545
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ssds14534 12/5/2013, 7:24 pm

Please let us know how this goes. Definitely something custom needed to mount the BFF using the rear target sight dovetail on the RO. The dovetail wedge would have to be the perfect height to have a level mount.

ssds14534

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexAlphabet 12/5/2013, 9:09 pm

I tried the FF3 and the novak mount and it did not work as said above. I called Burrus and told them I had the Springfield RO and wanted to mount in the dovetail and what do I need. They said they don't make a mount but sent me an email on what to get.
"
Go to Evolution Gun Works for the base item number 49413 see attached web page http://www.egwguns.com/optima/j-point/delta-point-mounts/optima/j-point/delta-point-mounts/
Go to JP Enterprises to purchase the adapter item APR-JP/DR http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=ARR-JP/DR
"
The mounting plate I have seems to work, i just need a dovetail piece that will fit. I have a friend with a mill working on that.
If We ever get it going I'll post a picture.

AlexAlphabet

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 12/16/2013, 12:52 pm

I called Burris back and another guy suggested the 410323 Mount - Kimber Standard and Bomar kit. I ordered and received it. The Kimber dovetail was too small and the Bomar dovetail was a tad small, but still wider than the Kimber dovetail and usable. The included screws are too short so I found a couple screws at a LGS that were 3/16" longer which I think will work just fine. The screws required are 6-48 which is an oddball size around here. Burris is going to send a couple longer screws this week. Problem is when you tighten the Burris mount to the RO slide it cocks the mount skyward which would make POI way too low. It will require a shim under the rear of the mount, between the top of the slide and bottom of the mount to keep the Burris mount plate level. I will install the mount tonight and let you know how it worked out tomorrow.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 12/17/2013, 10:16 pm

I finished up the FF-III sight mount tonight. The stock Burris screws are 6-48 x 5/16" long (thread length) not including the head. I found a couple screws at a LGS that were 1/2" long but they ended up being too long and bottomed out in bottom of the slide's dovetail. The Burris mount came with these cupped star washers so I doubled those up under each 1/2" long bolt heads and it was just right length. I added a .025" thick shim under the rear of the sight mounting plate between it and the top of the flat on the slide. This held the sight level. Added some blue Loctite on the screw threads and I think this will be good to go. Range trip on Friday night will be proof in the pudding.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by ssds14534 12/31/2013, 6:13 pm

How'd the range trip go ?  Thanks

ssds14534

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexAlphabet 1/1/2014, 10:23 pm

My part was made and it worked fine for about 10 shots, then it loosened up. The problem is we only have 1 set screw. Bu the 2 screw holes for the FF-III, there is plenty of clearance to add a set screw down the same hole. I just need to source the screws.
Attachments
Burris FF-III mount for Springfield Range Officer? Attachment
IMG_1032.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(37 Kb) Downloaded 22 times

AlexAlphabet

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 1/2/2014, 9:03 am

ssds14534 wrote:How'd the range trip go ?  Thanks
Sorry for the late reply. I've been back to the range 2x since. I had to add another .025" shim (.050" total now), on the 2nd trip back to the range, to get the POA to match the POI and to have enough room to adjust the sight both ways now. Its spot on and holding zero just fine with zero movement. I am pleased with the outcome and look forward to shooting this pistol a LOT.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac 3/28/2014, 11:44 pm

How is the mount working out with the Burris Fastfire?

If it's going well, could you recap what you did to amke it work.

I have a springfield loaded I would like to try it on.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by chiltech500 3/29/2014, 6:45 am

I encountered same problem when I bought "Loaded" SA in 9mm.

Did have Smith drill the slide at the front of the cutout, made a dovetail and used the 'standard" base. At least it is secured at 3 points and used the standard supplied screws.

I believe that the original adjustable sights will slide right back over that single hole drilled in the front.

chiltech500

Back to top Go down

Post by ssds14534 3/29/2014, 8:37 am

This setup has worked very well. Over a 1000 rounds. The base is very tight so no drilling required. Setup details here -   

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=444086

ssds14534

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 3/29/2014, 10:56 pm

knightimac wrote:How is the mount working out with the Burris Fastfire?

If it's going well, could you recap what you did to amke it work.

I have a springfield loaded I would like to try it on.
The mount is secure, working well and has not moved or lost zero. Just follow the steps I outlined above and it should work well for you. Make sure to use blue LocTite on the dovetail wedge and screws and allow ample time for it to cure before shooting and it should remain solid.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down