Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Servicios Adventuras Small Pistol Primers

5 posters

Go down

Servicios Adventuras Small Pistol Primers Empty Servicios Adventuras Small Pistol Primers

Post by BE Mike Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:55 pm

I bought some of these SA primers for loading 9mm. I used my Dillon 550. The first box of 50, I had ten failures to ignite when shooting from my unmodified and lightly used Sig M17. The primers took more force to fully seat, but were seated flush, just like I've done with countless other American manufactured primers. The second box of 50, I seated them below flush (they looked slightly crushed) with a Hornady hand priming tool. I got 4 misfires out of the box of 50. All the primers that didn't ignite on the first try ignited on the second or third attempt. I will report back after trying more rounds loaded with the SA primers in my Beretta 92FS. I've never had any issues with any of my 9mm pistols when using American made primers and normally seating them with using my Dillon 550.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Servicios Adventuras Small Pistol Primers Empty Re: Servicios Adventuras Small Pistol Primers

Post by dannyd93140 Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:16 pm

I have used 5,099 SA primers in my revolvers with no misfires or problems.  I do lube my cases with Hornady One Shot because it helps with seating the primers and with flaring the cases.
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Servicios Adventuras Small Pistol Primers Empty Re: Servicios Adventuras Small Pistol Primers

Post by BE Mike Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:35 am

dannyd93140 wrote:I have used 5,099 SA primers in my revolvers with no misfires or problems.  I do lube my cases with Hornady One Shot because it helps with seating the primers and with flaring the cases.
I have heard that guns with hammers will ignite the primers. That is why I thought I'd try them in the Beretta 92FS. It seems like the primer cups being too hard for striker fired pistols may be at the root of the problem, but that is only a theory. When I looked at the duds, after attempting to shoot them in the Sig M17 they looked oddly deformed, rather than having any kind of recognizable firing pin strike.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:12 am

I have used almost a thousand of those Aventuras primers. Both in striker fired and revolver. I have not tried them in a 1911 style firearm. There have been two misfires so far, both caused by incorrect reloading on my part.
Having too much bullet lube on a 38 special case which did not let the case fall all the way into the revolver cylinder was one.  The other was a bullet seated out too far that caused the round to not pass the"plunk test". Both instances caused a buffered firing pin strike.
Would I use Aventuras primers for a self defense carry load, probably not, but for range use they have performed well.
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:48 pm

The cups on the SA's to me are not has har as CCI's.  I don't own any semiautomatic pistols or rifles, so I no help there with any problems. But I have used quite a few primers from different manufacturers, but if I have not personally tried it I don't give an input.

Servicios Adventuras Small Pistol Primers 38aa6810

Last edited by dannyd93140 on Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:09 pm

Here's an update. After having a lot of misfires with the SA primers out of my Sig M-17, I thought I'd try them through my Beretta 92FS and a Sig P320 Compact. 50 rounds through each pistol today resulted in no misfires. I might add that I thoroughly cleaned the Sig, including a thorough cleaning of the striker assembly and the channel in the slide where the striker rides. The SA primers on all these rounds were seated below flush. Next week's range session, I'm going to re-try the Sig M-17 after a similar thorough cleaning with below flush seated SA primers. I will also test some SA primers using my normal primer seating technique (using the Dillon 550) with the Beretta 92FS and Sig M-17.
BE Mike
BE Mike

dannyd93140 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:08 pm

Shot another 100 this week and they worked.
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:49 am

dannyd93140 wrote:Shot another 100 this week and they worked.
Yes, I expect that they work with revolvers that haven't had their mainsprings lightened, since they worked well in my Beretta 92FS. I would worry that they may not work in custom PPC revolvers, etc. I shoot Sigs weekly and that's the guns I need them to work well with.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:58 am

BE Mike wrote:
Yes, I expect that they work with revolvers that haven't had their mainsprings lightened, since they worked well in my Beretta 92FS. I would worry that they may not work in custom PPC revolvers, etc. I shoot Sigs weekly and that's the guns I need them to work well with.
I have replaced all the springs in all my Rugers, but I don't shoot PPC.  My Blackhawks have a 2 lbs triggers and they work in those too.
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:00 pm

dannyd93140 wrote:
BE Mike wrote:
I have replaced all the springs in all my Rugers, but I don't shoot PPC.  My Blackhawks have a 2 lbs triggers and they work in those too.
Yeah, I get it! Hammer fired handguns have larger striking areas with their firing pins and the hammers add more mass, so the primer impact is greater.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:25 pm

Sorry, I only own revolvers. Wink
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:34 pm

dannyd93140 wrote:Sorry, I only own revolvers. Wink
It's too bad you have limited yourself!
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:49 pm

BE Mike wrote:
Had enough automatic stuff in the military   Smile
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:07 pm

dannyd93140 wrote:
BE Mike wrote:
Had enough automatic stuff in the military   Smile
I carried both at different times. I still enjoy wheel guns, as well as, semi-autos, but you can have those single action revolvers! Razz
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:17 pm

On the left is the primer strike from a Sig P320 Compact and on the right is from a Beretta 92FS. All were SA primers seated below flush. The cleaning of the striker assembly with Gun Scrubber spray and the striker channel in the slide and reinstalling them with no lubricant may have contributed to the good ignition (100%). I'll also try to seat the SA primers flush, like I do all American primers, with my Dillon 550 and see if they still ignite reliably.
https://servimg.com/view/20153930/1

I measured four brands of small pistol primers. They all were uniform in width. They all were .173". The SA primers were .115" tall, the Winchester were .117" tall, the CCI were .115" tall and the Remington were .121" tall. In both cases of the tallest primers (Winchester and Remington) the increased height was the result of the anvil being "proud" of the primer cup. The anvils of the SA and CCI primers appeared flush with the primer cup. One might conclude that SA primers are harder to ignite than some American primers due to the anvil being flush with the primer cup. There is a possibility that the primer cups are harder than most American brands, but I cannot verify that.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:16 pm

Perhaps the Winchester and Remingtons are designed to "preload" the anvil due to being "proud" of the case, and fully seated upon pressing in place?
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:04 pm

dont forget, certain gunsmiths offer action tuning for Smith revolvers roughly called "duty grade spring strength" where they make sure the hammer has enough power to light off any known primer.

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down