Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CCI Standard Velocity recent experience?

+9
troystaten
orpheoet
RoyDean
PhotoEscape
John Dervis
Pinetree
shooter1450
james r chapman
RodJ
13 posters

Go down

CCI Standard Velocity recent experience? Empty CCI Standard Velocity recent experience?

Post by RodJ 8/24/2023, 1:48 pm

It’s been at least a year since I’ve bought any CCI SV. For a while some folks were sounding less than happy either due to misfires or accuracy (I may be misremembering).

Anyone have recent experience with the dark blue box CCI that’s been out for a while?

Thanks for any reports.
Rod

RodJ

Back to top Go down

CCI Standard Velocity recent experience? Empty Re: CCI Standard Velocity recent experience?

Post by james r chapman 8/24/2023, 2:11 pm

Dark blue? I think that’s old stock.

No issues with newer, light blue, sv

Nor the dark blue
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

CCI Standard Velocity recent experience? Empty Re: CCI Standard Velocity recent experience?

Post by shooter1450 8/24/2023, 2:35 pm

The dark blue box works great in my conversion. The new light blue with the red stripe doesn't. Something dimensionally different. Haven't gotten around to measuring them yet. My friend's Walther doesn't care which he feeds it.
shooter1450
shooter1450

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree 8/24/2023, 2:46 pm

I've gone through almost a case over the past year and they go bang about 99.9% of the time.. which is just what I would expect from 22LR.

Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 8/24/2023, 5:29 pm

I have bought two cases this year of the latest box design but they are two different lots.  So far they have functioned 100%.  I test fired several hundred from lot 1 before I bought the second case.  I had hoped to get the same lot but I didn't so I pulled a few hundred from that lot to test too. I have probably shot 1000 total or so but that's an educated guess.

I think they straightened out the problems that had a few years back.

John

John Dervis

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 8/24/2023, 5:58 pm

Until last couple days I had no issues with new CCI SV.  However in these last couple days, shooting two different Pardini SP22s all of a sudden I experienced one particular malfunction - previously shot round would be extracted, however next in magazine round would not be loaded.  Four different magazines, and it would typically be round #4 across all of them.  I must add qualifier here.  It is indoor range.  Last few days we have ambient temperature outside in 95+ degrees range.  Temperature at the range is nice 72 degrees.  However humidity is at 60% level.  Today I had and tried box of old CCI SV (darker shade of blue then current one) and as well box of the Eley BullsEye immediately after shooting box of new CCI SV.  Both old CCI SV and Eley BE were trouble free.

I also want to mention that when CCI first switched to new "flavor", I had issues across of several semi-autos and revolvers, - up to 10% of rounds would not ignite.  CCI accepted my claim and issued check to cover my cost (actually CCI refunded at MSRP level, much higher than my cost was!) because company's policy doesn't allow for shipping ammo to IL.  Several month after that I ordered several cases of new CCI SV ammo, and, as I mentioned above, it was pretty much trouble free.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 8/24/2023, 9:24 pm

Thanks everyone this is good to hear! And speaking of me “misremembering” I had the dark blue vs light blue backwards.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 8/24/2023, 9:55 pm

I've never been a fan of CCI SV. But this week it happened that I did not bring enough practice ammo with me and the only reasonably priced stuff available locally was CCI SV (thank you Neal at Gun Pro!). Bought a brick and shot about 400 rounds today in three different guns. During the first 900 in a Marvel I had a couple of light strikes. Cleaned the chamber thoroughly (I had not cleaned it after shooting Aguila in it yesterday) and added a bit of lubricant to the slide rails. No further problems in that gun (160 rounds). But I notice that even with the green 5lb recoil spring, the action after each shot seems kinda sluggish. Aguila SV or Eley BPX do not exhibit that characteristic.

I then put 90 each through two different Pardini's. Just one problem - one particular round was just slightly longer than the rest and it hung up in the rather tight Pardini magazine causing a failure to feed. I actually noticed that it was slightly harder to load than the others - I should have known!

Anyhow. I paid $32.99 retail for a brick of 500 and am quite satisfied with the performance today. It is not going to replace my regular ammo anytime soon, but, in a pinch, good enough.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 9/17/2023, 11:42 pm

I was about to ask the same thing. I just bought a case from Target Sports. Thanks for the info! Fingers crossed.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 9/18/2023, 12:36 am

That is all I shoot in my older S&W model 41, rarely have a problem.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 9/19/2023, 9:58 am

Dark Blue is 100% although sometimes there is an abundance of hard wax lube. 

Light Blue, I had a case that was miserable, maybe 10 fail to fire per 100, and most would not fire if reloaded. 

You can call an check with CCI if a lot is bad. I checked with CCI and they said there was a known problem with my particular case lot. 

Newer Manufactured CCI seems to be much better , I am not sure if the accuracy is worse though it might be.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 9/19/2023, 10:25 am

I used older dark blue CCI for indoor league last year and had more than a few 290+ scores. I'm hopeful I can get similar results with new. I hate using high end .22 for 50 ft!
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by tomd999 9/19/2023, 10:08 pm

Hiya,
Here’s what I posted in a thread about Aguila SE velocity. The CCI Std used in these results were with recent CCI light blue box from bulkammo.com. The CCI does feel “lighter” than the older blue box but has been reliable, so far. There was an alibis spike we noticed in the winter league last season, it was the new light blue boxes and mostly model 41’s with 6# springs we’re having the issue not picking up rounds. It seems to have abated with the later lots so far.
=========================
Last week I had the chronograph out for some CF/45 load testing so I ran some 22LR through it while I was getting my 22 trigger time.

Pardini SP New, standard length barrel
Aguila SE, Ave: 958 fps, ES: 48.1 fps, SD: 13.9/1.45%
Eley Bullseye X Pistol, Ave: 945 fps, ES: 49.2 fps, SD: 16.5/1.74%
CCI Std, Ave: 932.9 fps ES: 28.1 fps, SD: 9.2/.98%

S&W 41, 5-1/2"
Aguila SE, Ave: 986.2 fps, ES: 36.7 fps, SD: 10.3/1.04%
Eley Bullseye X Pistol, Ave: 983.4, ES: 42.8 fps, SD: 13.2/1.34%
CCI Std, Ave: 948.2 fps, ES: 55.4 fps, SD: 17.1/1.80%

tomd999

RoyDean and RodJ like this post

Back to top Go down

CCI Standard Velocity recent experience? Empty CCI problems

Post by fastshooter 9/26/2023, 2:59 pm

Bought a case last year, experienced light loads that did not cycle the action. I was afraid of squib loads and possibly a bulged barrel. I use the rest in my revolver for informal shooting.

fastshooter

Slamfire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 11/2/2023, 7:56 pm

I too had problems with the first batches of the newer red stripe box.  Disappointing performance.  Although the later batches are better now, it's still not as good as the old dark blue box stuff.  It is fine for practice, but I won't use it in a match.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down