Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New 208 Firing Pin

2 posters

Go down

New 208 Firing Pin Empty New 208 Firing Pin

Post by Rodger Barthlow Sat 26 Aug - 11:47

I bought my 208 International used many years ago and have never done anything but clean and lubricate it.
I picked up a firing pin kit with new springs from Larry many years ago at Perry and was looking at the base of the firing pin to see if it was mushrooming but couldn't really see if it was or not so with the .22 portion of the National Match scrubbed this year I decided to have Brad take a look at it, last year and he replaced the recoil spring since I was having problems with failure to feed and extraction of the SKS ammo I was using. 
I gave him the pistol and the new firing pin so he would have it and could replace the old one if needed.
Brad didn't get to work on it since he was busy with more pressing problems but one of the other armors did and though the old firing pin was in specs he replaced it while he had it apart and gave me the old firing pin back for a spare.

I didn't shoot it much after I came back home but did shoot my Marvel a good bit instead since I wanted to get more practice with the 1911 style trigger.

With a two day match coming up at Harrisburg PA I got the 208 out to clean it and lubricate the sear.

I cleaned the barrel breach face, chamber and barrel along with the slide face. Using a dental pick to clean around the firing pin I dislodged a piece of metal that pushed out of the firing pin hole when I pushed the pin forward to clean any junk off the tip of the pin. 

The AMU Smith replaced the old pin and there was no damage on it, I also noticed the retainer pin had been replaced and I'm wondering if the old retainer pin broke when it was being removed and a piece ended up in firing pin hole and had worked its way out and I dislodged it when I was cleaning the bolt face?

The piece is too small to take a picture of it but either way I think I dodge a major repair job since the piece of metal could have created lots of problems and damage.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

New 208 Firing Pin Empty Re: New 208 Firing Pin

Post by jimsteele Sun 27 Aug - 6:31

Just one more example of why you SHOULD clean your pistol ..(properly). There is no need to wear the bore out,That is why Hoppes,CLP. and Kroil were invented. But splintered wooden Q-Tips clean almost as well as a dental pick, and aerosol sprays wash the gunk out.,,,Jim

jimsteele

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow Mon 28 Aug - 6:49

I shot an1800 with it yesterday and it ran like a top so I'm figuring that was the only chip/piece that was in there.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down