Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expected life time of barrels

+5
NYKenn
Chase Turner
Wobbley
chiz1180
L. Boscoe
9 posters

Go down

Expected life time of barrels Empty Expected life time of barrels

Post by L. Boscoe 9/8/2023, 2:39 pm

I would expect most here already know the answer, but not me.  I shoot low power loads, either copper  plated lead or coated lead from Bayou and Missouri as well as Zero HP.
I just opened my fifteen thousandth case of primers, so I have shot 10,000 so far, although through 3 different
guns.
Any need to have a spare barrel for my discontinued CZ 97?

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Expected life time of barrels Empty Re: Expected life time of barrels

Post by chiz1180 9/8/2023, 4:24 pm

My main wadgun shoots just as good as it did 10k rounds ago (just had it in a rest), my older wadgun probably has at minimum 2-3x the round count and still shoots extremely well. Both 1911s however, no personal data on a CZ.
chiz1180
chiz1180

L. Boscoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/8/2023, 5:08 pm

Depends on the pressure of the loads you shoot.  Most loads in bullseye are about 9000 psi to 13000 psi.  At those pressures a barrel should have a life of 25000 rounds or more.  A 9mm at 30000 psi will have a life of around 15000.  By the time your barrel in a 45 is worn out the rest of the gun will be worn out as well.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner 9/8/2023, 6:58 pm

L. Boscoe wrote:...
Any need to have a spare barrel for my discontinued CZ 97?

Yes and No.

Yes:

The AMU does all sorts of measuring and checking of their equipment, but only replaces a pistol barrel when it no longer shoots to their accuracy standard. When you think about how many rounds the fellows shoot in a year (30K to 100K depending on shooter and discipline), they are going to be replacing components more than you or I do. So if your desire is to meet some accuracy standard, then it may be prudent to pick up a spare.

No:

Barrels generally don't fail from use, they just become less accurate from use over time. In talking to an AMU armorer about barrel work one match, he mentioned that the expected service life of a 1911 barrel (in 45) was 250K rounds. Now, that only means that you could potentially use a barrel that much, not that the AMU does. That's a lot of rounds, and you are nowhere close to even half that number.

I wouldn't sweat it, if I were you.

Best,
Chase

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 9/8/2023, 8:47 pm

thanks to all.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by NYKenn 9/9/2023, 7:31 am

I have an old Clark Guns brochure from the 60s. Came with one of the guns my father had purchased that I still have. And it had been re-barreled by Crawford Gunsmithing of Altha Florida when the crown showed out of round wear.

Clark makes two interesting statements in the brochure.
1. A good target gun will cost about two weeks of pay. 
2. A barrel will have optimum accuracy for 5K rounds and begin to diminish after that.

NYKenn

http://www.TheFiringLineOnline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 9/9/2023, 6:45 pm

2. A barrel will have optimum accuracy for 5K rounds and begin to diminish after that.

I think this refers to jacketed. 

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 9/9/2023, 7:45 pm

I get 'acceptable' accuracy from my AR service rifles to 5k and beyond. A 45 should last about forever by comparison.

Lugs wearing would be a bigger issue ... I'd think.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid 9/11/2023, 11:39 am

I thought my Hardball gun barrel was possibly shot out, but an AMU Armour said the rifling was good. My round count is 8760 ish.
  I thought this because I haven't been shooting any groups the few years so back to the basics for me.

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/11/2023, 11:52 am

"Optimum Accuracy for 5k rounds................."

Seeing RR groups from guns I've built shoot 1-1.5" after 25k rounds. 

Majority of older pistols I see/work on are very loose after being shot a lot. Peened frame rails will loosen/wear over time. Old school barrel fit with minimal bottom lug engagement. These factor into poor shooting pistols, so I wouldn't blame the barrel.

I've welded and refit Colt standard barrels, NM barrels, S&W MTU barrels all with high round counts and they all grouped 1.5" or better with Federal Match 185 jacketed ammunition.

So based on my real world experience, I do not think 5k rounds is realistic. If it was, I'd be rebarreling pistols like crazy for some 2650/2670 shooters I know.

Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Richard Ashmore, chopper and WesG like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down