Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switching eyes

+6
DA/SA
SteveT
John Dervis
james r chapman
Rush223
SaraiEsq
10 posters

Go down

Switching eyes Empty Switching eyes

Post by SaraiEsq 10/30/2023, 7:11 pm

I am right eye dominant and shoot right-handed as well.  I'm using an occluder when I shoot bullseye and it seems to go well.  (Thanks again, Wes!)  And my right eye is doing fine after the retinal tear back in June; my eye doc was very pleased, in fact, with how it was doing.  Eye pressures are good; diabetes is not too bad.  There are still more floaters than I like in my right eye.  But things are pretty good with the eyes presently.

All of my recent eyeball experiences, however, have got me thinking about how I might retrain my eye dominance if it became necessary.  Or, hey, just for fun.

So, how might one do that?  Would it be prudent to switch hands as well?  I enjoy shooting left-handed although I don't do it as much as I should.

Thoughts?
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

Back to top Go down

Switching eyes Empty Re: Switching eyes

Post by Rush223 10/30/2023, 7:52 pm

In my experience eye dominance will change automatically as vision in one eye deteriorated. At least that has been my experience. Use the eye you see best with. I also tried switching hands but found it easier to shoot cross dominant. That does create grip issues. 
Rush

Rush223

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/30/2023, 8:08 pm

Cross dominant.
You might have to have grips adapted for the change though.
About 7* I believe
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 10/30/2023, 9:24 pm

My first choice would be to continue to shoot with my strong hand using my non-dominant eye.  You can occlude your dominant eye and your other eye should take over (it pretty much has to since your dominant eye can’t see the sights). 
  The people I know that are cross eye dominant will shoot exactly like this.

John

John Dervis

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 10/31/2023, 8:04 am

I am right handed and left eye dominant. After a few years shooting cross-dominant I tried shooting with my right eye. I had to use a blinder on my left eye or often I would switch eyes, sometimes in the middle of a string. After a few years it became normal to use my right eye and I THINK the vision in my right eye has improved, but I can't be certain. I still need to use a blinder. I've been shooting this way for nearly 20 years now and my left eye is still the dominant eye, but it seems less strongly dominant than it used to be.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 10/31/2023, 8:37 am

I shot right handed and left eye dominant until I took up Bullseye shooting. At which time I switched to left hand shooting to match eye dominance. It really wasn't bad at all, as I just decided to switch and never shot Bullseye right handed. That way I didn't have any frustration comparing left and right handed shooting ability.

Now that I am "aging", my vision in my right eye is better than my left, so I may be switching to right eye right hand shooting in the future. And I'll do the same.  I do occasionally try shooting right hand, right eye, and it isn't too bad as far as the target is concerned, it just feels really awkward and my right shoulder/arm isn't presently as strong as far as holding the pistol up! I have recently begun working on that as well though.

The fun never stops!

Jon Eulette with his 2650 with either hand is not only very impressive, but quite encouraging!

This is a psychological sport. If you get your mind right, you can do it!
DA/SA
DA/SA

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 10/31/2023, 9:41 am

I knew a master shooter who had to switch to his weak hand. He worked his way back, but he had all that experience and training as a good foundation.
BE Mike
BE Mike

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 10/31/2023, 10:02 am

Right handed and right eye dominant here.  My right eye has a lot more  floaters than the left, and they’re right in the middle, so I’ve tried shooting with left eye. Takes a slight adjustment to how I place the gun in my hand and I stand a bit more square to the target.  Front sight is sooo much clearer.  A piece of scotch tape on the inside of my lens works to block the non shooting eye, just switch it to the right lens.

RodJ

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 10/31/2023, 7:21 pm

"I knew a master shooter who had to switch to his weak hand. He worked his way back, but he had all that experience and training as a good foundation."

Interesting, I know a High Master shooter now in his 80's who had to switch to his "weak" hand a few years ago, he has been working hard on it and two Saturday's ago broke 2,600 in a State match. Very well done him!

RoyDean

mbmshooter, Jon Eulette, rburk and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk 11/1/2023, 12:13 am

Shooting with your left hand and right eye seems a lot like how I used to shoot target archery back in the 80's.  For a right hander, bow arm is left arm, and you sight with your right eye.  For pistol shooting, you might need to open your stance a little.

rburk

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down