Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WST for med-fast loads only?

+3
Rodger Barthlow
chiz1180
inthebeech
7 posters

Go down

WST for med-fast loads only? Empty WST for med-fast loads only?

Post by inthebeech Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:02 am

Repeated tests with this powder and the charges that duplicate the velocities that I load Bullseye to (675-725 f/s) and the velocity spread with WST is always high (100-125 f/s) over test groups of ten rounds.  Loading Bullseye to the same muzzle velocity and I am always down around 20-30 f/s spread.  Same crimp, COL, ambient conditions, 185 gr LSWC bullet, primer, gun... 
I haven't bumped up the charge yet in order to see if this goes away; I'd prefer to here what this community has to say in the event I'm missing something and if not, just save the WST for other cartridges.
No unburnt powder.
With these low speeds there is always (even with BE) fouling on the outside of cases and no difference here.
Extraction/ejection are not consistent as one would expect; those rounds at the low end of this large velocity range do not eject reliably.
Maybe this powder is best with jacketed?  faster speeds? heavier bullets? All of the above?
The question is asked out of simple curiosity; no need to force this powder to do something that Bullseye is better suited for (very light loads for 50' indoor winter league).  I'm interested in the experiences of those who have experience with this powder.
Thanks,
Ed
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

WST for med-fast loads only? Empty Re: WST for med-fast loads only?

Post by chiz1180 Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:29 am

I really like WST for 38. I have loaded some for 45, but my Bullseye loads preformed better on target (ransom rest testing, no chronograph data).In this case it was the same bullet/seating for each powder. I have seen some great performance from friends shooting WST in 45, but I think it would require me to develop a load that suits my equipment like I did with Bullseye. The WST loads were not bad, the Bullseye loads were just slightly better.
FWIW my loads are on the warmer side of target loads, 4.0-4.2ish Bullseye with lead 185s, I found chasing the lightest loads possible was an equation for encouraging function issues, especially if I didn't keep the gun very clean.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:07 am

I've played with just about every powder that is used for bullseye loads in the .45acp and still have a 4# jug that I stopped using because a HM friend told me WST was the latest and greatest powder to use.
I find it just as dirty as Bullseye in that it leaves a lot of unburnt powder in the action, even when loading up to 4.2grs under a 185gr swc.
I have seemed to look for the lightest recoil I could find in .45apc loads and think it may have caused me to shoot my worse scores since my follow threw is different and not grip the gun consistently.
Is it the magic pixy dust everyone is looking for I don't know but I see more HM's using Bullseye powder than anything else with lead bullets.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:12 pm

I have loaded and still load a lot of WST in .45, .38spl and .38 Super and it works great for all. I have not been successful with a repeatable good load in 9mm.

All of these, sub 2.5" at 50yds, some closer to 1.5" at 50 yds.

.45 acp
180-200 gr lead or coated bullets. 4-1 - 3.9 gr works great for me at 25 -50 yds
185 gr JHP then 4.4 - 4.8 gr works great at 25-50 yds

.38 spl
125 gr lead or coated. 4.4 - 4.5 gr good to 50 yds
125 JHP 4.6 - 4.8 gr good to 50 yds
148 HBWC 2.7 - 2.8 gr good to 50 yds

.38 Super
115 gr JHP. 4.6 - 4.8 gr good to 50 yds
125 gr JHP 4.2 - 4.5 gr good to 50 yds
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:52 pm

One thing not mentioned yet is that, in my experience, slower powders like tighter crimps. My base load for most everything is a Zero 185 LSWCHP, 4.1 WST, 0.928" to the shoulder, .463 crimp. 

Dave

Dcforman

jjfitch and farmboy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:35 pm

"[size=16].463 crimp."[/size]

This is very helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by inthebeech on Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:41 pm

Dcforman wrote:One thing not mentioned yet is that, in my experience, slower powders like tighter crimps. My base load for most everything is a Zero 185 LSWCHP, 4.1 WST, 0.928" to the shoulder, .463 crimp. 

Dave

That is in line with what I do except, I do not get that crimp measurement, but we may differ in measuring.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:12 am

I use a lot of WST for my short line loads as I prefer its recoil impulse. Run 4.0 with a 180 FBSWC and 4.3 with the little 160s. 
.463-465 crimp.

All my lead long line loads are BE or TG. They simply shoot a touch better.
jglenn21
jglenn21

jjfitch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:26 pm

Just an observational data point on WST and crimp. I was crimping pretty tight, .463 or so and recently loosened up to .467. I’m getting a lot (more) unburned powder and the load feels weird in my hand.

My shooting sucks and has deteriorated from milquetoast beginner to open choke smooth bore so can’t comment on accuracy in any way shape or form.

In any case I’m going back to a tighter crimp.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:35 pm

If anyone is willing to drive to SE Pennsylvania area, I'll give the three unopened and fourth nearly full pounders to you for $60.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:22 am

inthebeech wrote:If anyone is willing to drive to SE Pennsylvania area, I'll give the three unopened and fourth nearly full pounders to you for $60.
PM sent I'll take it.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:04 am

I made the drive to meet Ed and purchase the powder from him.
Unfortunately, Ed was feeling a little under the weather and we couldn't talk as much as I would have liked too.

Ed I hope you are feeling better and had a good day at the range.
Thanks for selling me the powder.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down