Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ultradot on 45ACP slide

+7
inthebeech
JRV
Cmysix
jgolba
BE Mike
STEVE SAMELAK
Washed Up Newbie
11 posters

Go down

Ultradot on 45ACP slide Empty Ultradot on 45ACP slide

Post by Washed Up Newbie 1/6/2024, 8:47 am

I’m looking to put one of my Ultradot Matchdot II on a 45ACP slide mounted. I’m curious what others experience has been with the reliability of the dot reciprocating on the slide. Also, any normal spring or tuning changes for the extra slide weight. I’ve seen plenty of pics of it done, just looking to learn from others experience before I jump in the deep end. 

I did some searches but didn’t get the specifics I was looking for. 

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Washed Up Newbie

Back to top Go down

Ultradot on 45ACP slide Empty Re: Ultradot on 45ACP slide

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 1/6/2024, 8:57 am

MANY if not most of the dot shooters are using slide mounts.
Maybe lower recoil spring a pound or two.
Maybe raise your load a couple tenths.
Good dots seem to live a long time riding the slide.

All in all not a major issue.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Al and Brad Wise like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 1/6/2024, 9:03 am

Over the years, I never had any problem with UltraDots that were slide mounted on my 1911 accurized wad guns. I did change the spring weight to a 12 pound, IIRC, but you need to do what's best for you. The day before yesterday I shot my S&W mdl. 629 with Ultra Dot. "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking!" Only us old farts get this! Laughing
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Ultradot on 45ACP slide Empty timex

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 1/6/2024, 9:11 am

BE Mike wrote:Over the years, I never had any problem with UltraDots that were slide mounted on my 1911 accurized wad guns. I did change the spring weight to a 12 pound, IIRC, but you need to do what's best for you. The day before yesterday I shot my S&W mdl. 629 with Ultra Dot. "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking!" Only us old farts get this! Laughing
they did have one commercial where the watch failed
the elephant test
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

BE Mike and LenV like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jgolba 1/6/2024, 11:00 am

i have an Ultradot Matchdot II mounted on the slide of my 1911 .45 ACP. This pistol is a SA Range Office Elite that was "bulleye tuned" by Jon Eulette. The sight base is also from Jon and the rings are Weaver 30mm Four Hole Picatinny Rings. Also, I fitted the pistol with an 11 lb. recoil spring. So configured I have very reliable operation with Wilson Remfg 200 gr L-SWC (770 fps) and Black Hills 200 gr SWC (875 fps) ammo.

jgolba

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 1/6/2024, 11:03 am

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:
BE Mike wrote:Over the years, I never had any problem with UltraDots that were slide mounted on my 1911 accurized wad guns. I did change the spring weight to a 12 pound, IIRC, but you need to do what's best for you. The day before yesterday I shot my S&W mdl. 629 with Ultra Dot. "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking!" Only us old farts get this! Laughing
they did have one commercial where the watch failed
the elephant test

Time to get a new Timex.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV 1/6/2024, 11:53 am

My UltraDot had to go back to the mothership after a half season on the wadgun. It survived about 1,000 rounds of soft loads before the rheostat came loose mid-match.

They made good on their warranty and repaired the dot, but I now only trust the UDs for .22s. I went to an Sig Romeo 5 microdot and have had no issues thus far. Sig CS said it should have no issues surviving a .45 wadgun slide ride application long-term.

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech 1/6/2024, 4:27 pm

[quote="JRV"]My UltraDot had to go back to the mothership after a half season on the wadgun.  It survived about 1,000 rounds of soft loads before the rheostat came loose mid-match.

They made good on their warranty and repaired the dot, but I now only trust the UDs for .22s.  I went to an Sig Romeo 5 microdot and have had no issues thus far.  Sig CS said it should have no issues surviving a .45 wadgun slide ride application long-term. [/quote]

Did I see that one needs a receipt if you intend to send your UD in for service?  I've been living with one that no longer works on 6 or 7 setting (which happen to be good settings for me but I'm stuck either too dim or too bright.  Can I just send it in with no original receipt?
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 1/6/2024, 5:31 pm

Ultradot on 45ACP slide 20220526
I've had a Matchdot on my wad gun with a couple thousand rounds without issue.  Now using a 1" UD with a couple 100 more rounds and still no issues.
Ultradot on 45ACP slide 20240110
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Washed Up Newbie 1/6/2024, 6:28 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses and knowledge.

Washed Up Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by rrampe 1/6/2024, 6:39 pm

I've been running the same pair of UD,s slide mounted on two wad guns for over twenty years with zero issues. I couldn't even guess how many rounds they've been through. 12 pound recoil springs work for me.

Last edited by rrampe on 1/6/2024, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

rrampe

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV 1/6/2024, 7:04 pm

inthebeech wrote:
JRV wrote:My UltraDot had to go back to the mothership after a half season on the wadgun.  It survived about 1,000 rounds of soft loads before the rheostat came loose mid-match.

They made good on their warranty and repaired the dot, but I now only trust the UDs for .22s.  I went to an Sig Romeo 5 microdot and have had no issues thus far.  Sig CS said it should have no issues surviving a .45 wadgun slide ride application long-term.

Did I see that one needs a receipt if you intend to send your UD in for service?  I've been living with one that no longer works on 6 or 7 setting (which happen to be good settings for me but I'm stuck either too dim or too bright.  Can I just send it in with no original receipt?

I don’t remember if they asked for a receipt.  I think I had the invoice from MidwayUSA printed out in the package.  I do remember the customer service team being really responsive over the phone; might be worth a call to ask.

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 1/7/2024, 3:30 pm

About the only issue I had with UltraDot and it's lookalike Illusion was after a while elevation adjustment would change windage and reverse. Yes zero would change but very small amounts but one click was not noticeable but after a while changing elevation change windage then when attempting to changed windage elevation would change. Being when Adam was younger he shot every day to practice. I would replace the UltraDot every year and sell the old ones to those that didn't need bullseye accuracy.
 I disassembled an UltraDot and found that the adjustment screws had a ball end, after time the ball would make a dent in the adjustment tube. Other than that issue Ultradot worked great. I noticed the problem would occur in frame mount too.
Load shot was 185gr FMJ, with what ever powder amount that gave the best accuracy at 50 yards.

Froneck

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lonegunman 1/18/2024, 11:45 pm

The Ultradot on my 1911 has been there for 35,000 rounds with no problems.
lonegunman
lonegunman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down