Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iron sight vision question

3 posters

Go down

Iron sight vision question Empty Iron sight vision question

Post by xcutter45 1/9/2024, 2:04 pm

Retired and trying to shoot inside some now that I have time.  Front sight is very out of focus.  Slightly nearsighted with some astigmatism in right (dominant) eye.  NS correction is -0.72 so around +0.75 (typical to obtain FS focus) added would pretty much negate that and put me at zero M.O.L. for that part of the Rx, leaving needed astigmatism correction on the table.  Anyone have similar experience with those two issues in tandem?  It would appear that a lens to correct the astigmatism might be all I would need. Have been around a long time and am aware of a lot of the threads here and elsewhere pertaining to the FS focus issues.  Some of those people appear to no longer be in play so just seeing if by chance someone has addressed this with satisfactory results.  Thanks for any thoughts.

xcutter45

Back to top Go down

Iron sight vision question Empty Re: Iron sight vision question

Post by PhotoEscape 1/9/2024, 3:11 pm

I know for sure that add one vary for different people.  You can find some references here on forum stating range from +0.75 (Jon Eulette) to + 1.50 (John Bickar).  I suggest you read EVERYTHING posted by xmastershooter on the subject, and maybe try contacting him.  He is extremely nice and helpful person.

Yes, +1.50 correction is about right to obtain focus at ~39" distance for me after recent surgeries.  Prior to that it was - 1.00 with + 0.25 add on and  astigmatism correction at particular axials combined in one prescription lens.  Hence you most likely correct about needing only astigmatism portion addressed.  If you are using shooting frames combining both in one lens is a way to go.  I had lenses cut to 42mm diameter in local Pearl Vision to fit my Champion Choice Olympic frames. 

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Sc0, SingleActionAndrew and mdatlanta like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by xcutter45 1/9/2024, 3:17 pm

Thanks AP, I will...been around since the original version of the list...many of the names have changed

xcutter45

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m 1/10/2024, 7:00 pm

This has been a journey for me.  Here are some of the key things I have done to be able to shoot and see my FS.

I had a lens cut to fit my shooting glasses to match my distance Rx.  This includes correction for astigmatism.  This lens allows me to shoot with a dot and see the dot round and not a snow man.

For irons I use a secondary lens holder for my +1.00 lens that adds to my +0.50 fixed lens.  I also have an adjustable iris attached.  This iris is important for me to help the target not be too blurry.

I used the same process you go through at the Dr. office to figure out the best choice for the secondary lens. I had a lens set from +0.50 to +1.50.  I posted a document on the wall then stood back the distance to my FS to eye and swapped out each lens to find the one that make the text clear.  Then I would dry fire and or shoot to verify my choice.

The iris does make things darker and will take some time to get used to especially when you are older eyes and ranges with poor lighting

I would search for Dr Normal Wong.  He was a Eye Dr and bullseye shooter.  Lots of good information.
https://starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongmain/eyeguide.html
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 1/10/2024, 7:14 pm

For the reference: xmastershooter = Dr. Norman Wong.  In many of the posts you can see name of the author, - "Norman".  And he is still BE Master!

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down