Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1911 Reassembly Issue

+4
musky
mbmshooter
Froneck
Cd627
8 posters

Go down

1911 Reassembly Issue Empty 1911 Reassembly Issue

Post by Cd627 1/9/2024, 9:53 pm

I don't dissemble 1911s often but I've had a reassembly issue twice in a row now. As I place the magazine release catch back into place, it "snaps" back as it should. The trigger is all the way forward when I do this. However, when I go to place a magazine into the magazine well to aid with the rest of the assembly, the mag cannot be inserted unless I push in the magazine release. When I reassemble the rest of the pistol, the trigger is "frozen" and will not move forward or backwards. This has happened on two separate pistols. What am I doing wrong? I imagine it all has to do with the magazine release but I can't figure out what I'm messing up here.

Cd627

Back to top Go down

1911 Reassembly Issue Empty Re: 1911 Reassembly Issue

Post by Froneck 1/10/2024, 9:26 am

You stated it happened twice is a row, I assume you were able to get the "frozen" trigger to move and use the gun until the next time you disassembled it. What did you do to correct the problem?
 Why do you insert the magazine to aid assembly, I never insert the magazine to assemble the gun, if I do want to check trigger movement prior to complete assembly I will insert the magazine but later remove it to complete the assembly. Only thing I can think will cause the problem is if the disconnector is on the wrong side of the trigger bow.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 1/10/2024, 11:30 am

Froneck wrote:You stated it happened twice is a row, I assume you were able to get the "frozen" trigger to move and use the gun until the next time you disassembled it. What did you do to correct the problem?
 Why do you insert the magazine to aid assembly, I never insert the magazine to assemble the gun, if I do want to check trigger movement prior to complete assembly I will insert the magazine but later remove it to complete the assembly. Only thing I can think will cause the problem is if the disconnector is on the wrong side of the trigger bow.

I had a similar thought about "inserting the magazine to complete assembly".  I personally have never done that and have watched multiple professional gunsmiths at Perry disassemble and reassemble 1911s and have never seen them insert a magazine "to complete assembly".

I simply don't understand the reason for doing so.  I don't have an answer to the question about the trigger not moving but would suggest he try reassembling the pistol WITHOUT inserting the magazine and see if that issue still presents itself.  VERY INTERESTING!

Mike

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by musky 1/10/2024, 11:30 am

Don't put the magazine in till fully assembled.

musky

Back to top Go down

Post by rrampe 1/10/2024, 1:51 pm

When installing the magazine release hold the release button in when turning the retainer just like when removing it. Once properly installed it should be flush with the frame. Does the trigger move freely once the mag release is installed? The trigger should move freely under it's own weight until the sear spring is installed. Is it an aftermarket trigger that hasn't been properly fitted? Have the sides of the trigger bow been bent or damaged? Are you installing the disconnector and associated parts correctly? Check yourself each step of the way you should find the issue.
 There shouldn't be any reason to insert a magazine to assemble the gun.
I highly recommend Jerry Kuhnhausen's book - The colt .45 a shop manual
It includes very detailed disassembly and reassembly instructions and is a wealth of information.
There are also reassembly videos online just be sure to watch one by an actual pistolsmith.

rrampe

Back to top Go down

1911 Reassembly Issue Empty Check the position of the sear spring left leaf!

Post by jjfitch 1/10/2024, 3:22 pm

Froneck wrote:You stated it happened twice is a row, I assume you were able to get the "frozen" trigger to move and use the gun until the next time you disassembled it. What did you do to correct the problem?

This /\!  As well as the position of the sear spring left leaf being out of position. This jams the trigger and sear! Smile
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/10/2024, 3:31 pm

This interesting puzzle has me scratching head today.  I am trying to imagine a situation why a properly seated mag catch would need to be depressed half way to let a magazine in.  I mean there is no aid in assembly, but it doesn't matter either way.  Then the trigger gets frozen and as many stated that's probably because the spring or disconnector are in a wrong place.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Cd627 1/10/2024, 3:35 pm

I was watching YouTube videos that suggested this step. I did not "unfreeze" the trigger last time, I had to get help putting it back together and the person that helped me could not figure out what I had done incorrectly.

Cd627

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 1/11/2024, 8:36 am

Murphy is strong!
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 1/11/2024, 9:59 am

Be careful looking at youtube and other internet sites for information! I've seen a lot of junk! Seen one video where a guy made a chamber reducer so as to put a smaller caliber round in the gun. It was nothing more than a sleeve, was not rifled nor would have any accuracy. Only machine tool he used was 2 electric hand drills! He supposedly did what I would have a hard time doing on my precision lathes! Simply click bait!
 Only thing I can determine that your doing wrong when assembling the 1911 with magazine in the frame is putting the disconnector on the wrong side of the bow. Though having the mag. in shouldn't cause the problem, it is simply not necessary to assemble the triggering parts. When inserting the trigger it should be free to move on it own weight, tilt the gun and trigger should move freely, before and after the mag. catch installed. There is no spring on the trigger! The leaf spring in the rear applies pressure to the sear, disconnector and grip safety. It's the disconnector that applies pressure to the trigger bow.
 What ever your doing does not indicate there is problem with the parts since someone else had success when assembled properly!
  If you trap the trigger in it's reward travel it will apply pressure to the mag release making it hard to move. You don't need the trigger installed to install the release but the trigger can't be inserted unless the release is out of the frame. So install the release without the trigger in the frame and insert the magazine. It should work as supposed to.
 I'm wondering if your putting the disconnector in backwards, the flat area should contact the trigger bow and the side with the angle should be to the rear and contacting the leaf spring. I've never inserted the disconnector backwards so not sure if it might cause the problem.
  If someone else was successful in assembling the pistol it would be best to ask them for instructions. You will see how it's done and have someone watch what you doing and correct the errors.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down