Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Locking wrist, elbow

5 posters

Go down

Locking wrist, elbow Empty Locking wrist, elbow

Post by SonOfSwede 1/11/2024, 1:09 pm

I read one should lock their wrist and elbow.

What does that actually mean and what does it feel like when they are locked or not.

SonOfSwede

Back to top Go down

Locking wrist, elbow Empty Re: Locking wrist, elbow

Post by Jack H 1/11/2024, 3:29 pm

Learn to flex the forearm.  The fat part just below the elbow.  It's part mind, part muscle
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday 1/11/2024, 4:44 pm

I've wondered about this too.  Many ISSF shooters (especially the young ones) seem able to completely extend their elbow to the stop, or even beyond:

https://images.news18.com/ibnlive/uploads/2024/01/esha-singh-2024-01-05cfb0feec8879517fa64107567ee7ee-3x2.png?impolicy=website&width=510&height=356

Though it is understandable why you would want to "lock" the elbow" (one less joint moving), my elbows are about 3X older than hers and I can't do that.  Forcibly extending my arm is uncomfortable, so I try to hold it steady at the maximum comfortable extension.

The elbow is a hinge but the wrist is more of a swivel, so "locking" the wrist doesn't involve holding the joint at the limit of its range.  Presumably the goal is to build forearm muscles (flexors and extensors) so you can hold the wrist steady and support the gun without undue fatigue.

How do the rest of you guys do it?
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 1/11/2024, 5:28 pm

JHHolliday wrote:I've wondered about this too.  Many ISSF shooters (especially the young ones) seem able to completely extend their elbow to the stop, or even beyond

Her elbow naturally hyper extends.  It is not the function of the shooter's will.  And it is not age related.  Some people have it, some do not.  BTW, it is not that a great benefit and often leads to pain.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 1/11/2024, 5:33 pm

JHHolliday wrote:... wrist is more of a swivel, so "locking" the wrist doesn't involve holding the joint at the limit of its range.  Presumably the goal is to build forearm muscles (flexors and extensors) so you can hold the wrist steady and support the gun without undue fatigue.

there is no muscle in human arm that can lock wrist.  Locking wrist, TMBK, is achieved by shooter's grip.  Straight pressure backwards by (especially) middle finger is the wrist locking mechanism.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 1/11/2024, 7:11 pm

You don't really lock the wrist and elbow, you just want to not use those joints for intentional movement.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down