Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smith & Wesson 617-6 strikes

+4
Dcforman
John Dervis
Tripscape
mostly22lately
8 posters

Go down

Smith & Wesson 617-6 strikes Empty Smith & Wesson 617-6 strikes

Post by mostly22lately Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:50 pm

I have a S&W 617-6.

I do not experience any failures-to-fire, and most of the time I am using CCI SV.

However, compared to any of my other rimfire pistols or rifles, the empty cases from the 617 look like they have MUCH lighter strikes.

In fact, on many of them, I'm surprised they ignited.

Similar rim detents from other firearms would likely not have fired, at least, I don't think so.  
This isn't very scientific, I know.

I have no experience with other rimfire revolvers, so, I have no idea if this situation is 'normal' or not.

Opinions solicited, including "just shoot it" and "OCD much?"

mostly22lately

Back to top Go down

Smith & Wesson 617-6 strikes Empty Re: Smith & Wesson 617-6 strikes

Post by Tripscape Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:03 pm

Is the screw in.your grip screwed in? That's the screw that tensions mainspring which pushes on the hammer. If not then give that screw few turns and it will provide more tension for good strikes. If it is all the way in then please take off your grips and take a pic. Looking for arch n the mainspring under that screw. Many second hand guns have the screw cut. Will let you know what to do if thats your case.

Tripscape

mostly22lately likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:19 pm

Every gun is a bit different.  My basic rule is that if it’s working fine, it’s fine.  I have an inline muzzle loader that when you pull the trigger and watch the hammer fall, you would swear it has a broken spring it is so weak.  BUT it fires every time.  I gave up being concerned about it. 

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by mostly22lately Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:56 pm

Tripscape wrote:Is the screw in.your grip screwed in? That's the screw that tensions mainspring which pushes on the hammer. If not then give that screw few turns and it will provide more tension for good strikes. If it is all the way in then please take off your grips and take a pic. Looking for arch n the mainspring under that screw. Many second hand guns have the screw cut. Will let you know what to do if thats your case.
I changed grips and saw that screw then.  It did seem like there was appropriate tension on it however I didn't have a reference, so, I didn't touch it.

The gun does fire fine and I presumed also the previous owner(s) had made some action adjustments such that the trigger is as smooth as it is.

I think I am not going to go look for trouble ... while there isn't any to find.  But now I have at least a bit of a reference and for that I am grateful.

One other interesting and unrelated aside is the amount of force I have to put on the extractor with some ammo versus other ammo.
This surprised me.  Much to learn about wheelguns!

mostly22lately

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:54 am

If your cylinder is dirty, is can prevent the rounds from seating all the way. When the firing pin strikes the case, it can then move the case forward, absorbing the impact,  and sometimes cause misfires. If you do eventually have problems, clean the cylinder well before you do anything else. I use a .25 or .243 caliber brush for this.

Dave

Dcforman

BE Mike and mostly22lately like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:35 am

I have used a finishing reamer on all of my S&W .22 LR caliber revolvers. It makes insertion and extraction a lot easier.
https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/bore-barrel-tools/reamers-cutters/22-rimfire-rifle-auto-pistol-revolver-reamers/
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by mostly22lately Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:19 am

BE Mike wrote:I have used a finishing reamer on all of my S&W .22 LR caliber revolvers. It makes insertion and extraction a lot easier.
Thanks; may I assume this doesn't affect the accuracy?

mostly22lately

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:11 am

mostly22lately wrote:
BE Mike wrote:I have used a finishing reamer on all of my S&W .22 LR caliber revolvers. It makes insertion and extraction a lot easier.
Thanks; may I assume this doesn't affect the accuracy?
I haven't done any before and after machine rest testing at 50 yards. I can only say that the accuracy seems to be the same.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:52 pm

A suggestion. Before going to the reamer approach, consider taking a nylon .22 bore brush and put a small amount of 0000 steel wool around it. Use a short handle with the brush and insert, while turning it, into each charge hole of the cylinder. All you want to do is polish the chambers slightly. I would suggest trying this first. My experience is that the reamer approach is mostly needed when someone has dry fired on an empty charge hole and the firing pin, since it is a rimfire, may have peened the edge of the charge hole creating a snag point to hold onto the brass, especially after it has been fired. Last, I found that Norma TAC .22 ammo is the easiest to extract from a revo cylinder after firing. HV ammo and dirty cylinder can be a challenge as well.

I have a dedicated short handle .22 rifle bore brush that I keep handy, just to clean out the charge holes during a shooting event. It only takes a few seconds to clean the charge holes after every 6-10 cylinders of fire. Cleanliness of ammo matters too.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 pm

Also remember that a reamer for a revolver is different than for a rifled barrel.  This is because one for a rifled barrel has to ream they”leade”.  The one for a revolver has to ream the cylinder throat which is based on bullet diameter.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:02 am

I will only add that the .22 revolvers that I reamed did not have any damage to the charging holes from firing pin strikes and the reamer purchased from Brownells was for .22 revolvers. S&W revolvers are notorious for having tight charging holes.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Allgoodhits likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shooterer Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:57 pm

My vote is for the Strain Screw also.

Last edited by shooterer on Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:09 am; edited 2 times in total

shooterer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:21 pm

I don't think that enshake would be a problem on the 22lr.  Even on the big calibers stretching of the frame is not so severe as to cause light strikes.  Turn that mainspring straining screw about quarter to half turn and you will be all good.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down