Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mountain Competition Pistols

+8
Rodger Barthlow
Tripscape
Froneck
chiz1180
John Dervis
bruce martindale
john bickar
samtoast
12 posters

Go down

Mountain Competition Pistols Empty Mountain Competition Pistols

Post by samtoast Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:54 am

Does anybody have any experience with Mountain Competition Pistols?
https://mountaincompetitionpistols.com/

samtoast

Back to top Go down

Mountain Competition Pistols Empty Re: Mountain Competition Pistols

Post by john bickar Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:21 am

Mountain Competition Pistols Starwars-obi-wan
john bickar
john bickar

bruce martindale, kc.crawford.7 and chiz1180 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:43 am

There’s a hint Obie wan

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:04 pm

I had an M9 that I bought used from it's original owner.  I would say the gun was decent and I legged out with it although it probably wasn't as good as a Sam's or Kidd gun.  The company (specifically Dr Nick) has a less than stellar reputation for taking care of customers though and I haven't heard that name in quite a few years so I wasn't aware they were still around.

John

John Dervis

samtoast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:10 pm

The 1911s were/are good after a few changes/adjustments. Lots of people sold them off when they ran into issues that were not addressed by the company.
chiz1180
chiz1180

samtoast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:07 pm

Nick is a nice guy but knows nothing about target pistols. A few years ago at Perry he and his team members that he sponsored had an argument, he insisted they use his pistols in the match but they wouldn't because they would not shoot good groups nor function reliably! Putting a team together that were all High Masters knew what a good shooting pistol was and Nicks guns were not! AMU gunsmith didn't like working on them, would do what ever needed go get them to make weight but nothing more! If my memory is correct they called them Dr Kevorkian guns!

Froneck

samtoast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by samtoast Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:14 pm

Froneck wrote:Nick is a nice guy but knows nothing about target pistols. A few years ago at Perry he and his team members that he sponsored had an argument, he insisted they use his pistols in the match but they wouldn't because they would not shoot good groups nor function reliably! Putting a team together that were all High Masters knew what a good shooting pistol was and Nicks guns were not! AMU gunsmith didn't like working on them, would do what ever needed go get them to make weight but nothing more! If my memory is correct they called them Dr Kevorkian guns!
Why the Dr Kevorkian reference?

samtoast

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:20 pm

Not really sure why Dr. K reference, my memory may not be correct but it was similar. I know if anyone brought a Dr. Nick gun to the AMU smiths they refused to work on it. If my memory is again correct an AMU International shooter bought one, was taken to the AMU smiths, naturally it had issues, again if memory is correct it would not group on a target center at 25 yards! Shooter wanted it to get Distinguished Medal, AMU smiths were kinda pushed by the coach to work on the gun.
 I do know the AMU smiths did not think the Dr. Nicks guns were any good! Why the suicide reference I don't know! Maybe they were that bad! Though I doubt if they would explode. Maybe using a Dr. Nick gun would have your shooting score self-destruct.

Froneck

samtoast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:21 pm

So I have purchased my MCP 1911 9mm used sometime in early 2020.  The gun did not look used at all.  After a few range trips I figured out why - the ejector was not locked in properly and was making its way up, locking the slide in odd positions. I changed the ejector just to find that the retainer pin hole was not properly cut - it was slightly too far forward. So I decided to open the hole to 2011 pin specs (0.06250 vs 0.09375), which combined with loctite worked beautifully.  While cutting the hole I learned that the advertised hardness was absolutely true and I had to use a carbide drill bit. 
I have used the pistol sporadically since then. 
What can I say about this pistol today?  It is very very nice, probably one of the top in my collection.  Zero issues, tight lockup, perfectly accurate, looks super cool, feels great.  It is easy to call with it and shoots where you point it.  With full length frame and no slide front cut it is a fairly heavy beast.  Soaks up recoil like a sponge.

Tripscape

samtoast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:33 pm

I see Dr Nick at least once a year at a local match and is a very nice person. He used to sponsor the Maryland All States match at the Garison rifle and pistol club.
That's where I first meet Darius Young along with Gunny Brian Zinns.
That's been a long time ago.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

samtoast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:30 pm

Froneck wrote:Not really sure why Dr. K reference, my memory may not be correct but it was similar. I know if anyone brought a Dr. Nick gun to the AMU smiths they refused to work on it. If my memory is again correct an AMU International shooter bought one, was taken to the AMU smiths, naturally it had issues, again if memory is correct it would not group on a target center at 25 yards! Shooter wanted it to get Distinguished Medal, AMU smiths were kinda pushed by the coach to work on the gun.
 I do know the AMU smiths did not think the Dr. Nicks guns were any good! Why the suicide reference I don't know! Maybe they were that bad! Though I doubt if they would explode. Maybe using a Dr. Nick gun would have your shooting score self-destruct.
Never have met Dr. Nick or owned one of his guns(I have shot two or three that were good after some adjustments), but it should be noted that all guns regardless of who built them can run into issues. I have seen AMU guns go down at matches more than once (they have backups for a reason). Also guns going down can often be the fault of the shooter and/or ammo. If you have not personally worked on the gun and can document any issues, it probably is not best practice to make comment on the quality of the work.
chiz1180
chiz1180

STEVE SAMELAK and samtoast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:39 pm

I too have met Dr. Nick and yes he is a great guy. I shot at the All States Match every year they had it. Adam won an Infinity 1911 in 45acp at that match! Dr. Nick purchase all the trophies, they were the best I have ever seen! The foundry went out of business, actually closed by EPA regulations so the following year Dr. Nick purchased guns! Sorry to see that match end, but that's another story!!! It has to do with the other club shooters greed!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Mountain Competition Pistols Empty Thank you everybody!

Post by samtoast Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:27 am

Thank you to all who responded. 
I have since discovered the following thread which seems to have similar comments.
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t6146-new-mountain-competition-beretta-92

samtoast

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:44 pm

Obligatory gun p@rn

Mountain Competition Pistols 20240411
Mountain Competition Pistols 20240410

Tripscape

chiz1180, SingleActionAndrew and samtoast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KBarth Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:35 pm

How about an MCP originally owned by Brian Zins that Jon Eulette turned into a laser?

Mountain Competition Pistols Pxl_2021
KBarth
KBarth

sig 99, Foundryratjim, SingleActionAndrew and samtoast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:56 pm

Wow!!!!

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:27 pm

KBarth wrote:How about an MCP originally owned by Brian Zins that Jon Eulette turned into a laser?
I don't know anything about MCP guns. I've never held one nor shot one.

I can say that at this point in time, I would not recommend Jon Eulette for any work. Feel free to PM or email me for further information.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:05 am

oh man I miss my MCP Beretta. That thing was so cool. I just could not get my hand around it and shoot it consistently.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:03 am

I don't know why DR. Nick's guns were so bad. All I know is what I was told by High Masters. Quite a few are very well known. Accuracy and function in a 1911 is a combination of many things, I'm sure the top smiths have their developed combination that resulted in a reliable tack driver and that different smiths may have a slightly different combination but accomplish the same results. Some probably better than others. I like the looks of Dr. Nicks guns and would like to buy the 1911ish 45acp cheap so as to experiment with. Been a long time since I've talked to Nick since he no longer is seen at Perry though I think I seen him there a few years ago, we talked a few minutes if my memory is correct. The 1911 has been made unchanged for over 100 years, Nick changed quite a bit but didn't understand what was needed in his assembly to achieve the needed combination of events as did gunsmiths after working on the 1911 for over 100 years!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:52 pm

john bickar wrote:
KBarth wrote:How about an MCP originally owned by Brian Zins that Jon Eulette turned into a laser?
I don't know anything about MCP guns. I've never held one nor shot one.

I can say that at this point in time, I would not recommend Jon Eulette for any work. Feel free to PM or email me for further information.
Long time i don't see Jon Eulette Posts or replys.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by 1911a145 Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:14 pm

He still has some of my stuff and won’t respond

1911a145

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down