Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which factors when reloading .45 acp optimize cartridge feeding in a nice quality 1911?

5 posters

Go down

Which factors when reloading .45 acp optimize cartridge feeding in a nice quality 1911? Empty Which factors when reloading .45 acp optimize cartridge feeding in a nice quality 1911?

Post by brand-new 5/5/2024, 8:18 pm

I just started reloading .45acp for bullseye type shooting. 
I found a load with VVN320 that shoots very accurately and cycles nicely.... but unfortunately the rounds do not always feed well. A certain percentage make it some 20% of the way into the chamber of the barrel and get hung up there. 
I've tried magazines that I know work well in the pistol. 
The cases were all very clean and measured and the COAL length was as specified by VV at 1.2 inch and they all did great with barrel plunk testing. 
The taper crimp is mild and there are no bulges. 
I'm using a Berry 200gn Hollow Point projectile. 
The 1911 i'm using is one that functions very nicely with store purchased ball ammunition, ramp is pristine, pistol is clean and appropriately lubricated. Springs are fairly new and work well with factory ammunition.
Wxtractor works well with store bought ammunition.

Wondering what measures i might use during the reloading process to improve/optimize feed. Lengthen COAL? etc.

Thank you.

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Which factors when reloading .45 acp optimize cartridge feeding in a nice quality 1911? Empty Re: Which factors when reloading .45 acp optimize cartridge feeding in a nice quality 1911?

Post by Wobbley 5/5/2024, 8:45 pm

I’d look at crimp. Many feeding issues can be solved by making sure the case mouth “bell” is returned to .469 or smaller.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

8eightring and brand-new like this post

Back to top Go down

Which factors when reloading .45 acp optimize cartridge feeding in a nice quality 1911? Empty Re: Which factors when reloading .45 acp optimize cartridge feeding in a nice quality 1911?

Post by brand-new 5/5/2024, 8:58 pm

thank you, i will tighten up the taper crimp on my upcoming session.

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 5/5/2024, 9:34 pm

Can you post a picture of your magazine lips? There are 3 primary designs and the original shape works best with ball but struggles with others
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew
Admin

brand-new likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 5/6/2024, 6:38 am

For the round that chamber~20%, does the round enter past the bullet? Do the empties on the ones that do function fly far? Perhaps this load is softer than factory and needs a weaker recoil spring?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new 5/6/2024, 8:40 am

great questions, thank you to all

I didn't really think to qualify ejection pattern....great point, I will try next week.
I will also try to get some photos of the magazines.

appreciate the help

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulcmrman 5/6/2024, 10:00 am

Quite some time ago I had a fail-to-feed problem that ended up being caused by the extractor being too tight, thus preventing the case rim from sliding up the breech face behind the extractor claw.  It did not happen all the time so I'm guessing that minor variations in case rim thickness permitted some rounds to feed while others would not.

I think other recommended fixes are probably more likely than this, but if crimp and/or magazine issues don't fix it you may want to look at this.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

Dulcmrman

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new 5/6/2024, 7:52 pm

thanks everyone, i lengthened the C.O.A.L. to still fit the magazine and not hit the rifling....also increased the taper dimension

.....tried the loads in 2 different 1911s and these changes seem to have cured the problem.

very much appreciate everyone's help.

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down