Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone heard of a .31 Knebel wildcatt cartridge in a 1911 platform?

2 posters

Go down

Has anyone heard of a .31 Knebel wildcatt cartridge in a 1911 platform? Empty Has anyone heard of a .31 Knebel wildcatt cartridge in a 1911 platform?

Post by RJaquith 7/4/2023, 7:20 pm

In diving through the mounds of parts and stuff in my workshop today, I came across a barrel that I picked up somewhere on a whim but forgot all about. It is a Bar-Sto ramped barrel, stamped "Barsto 31 Knebel" on the hood. It's what I believe is a Wilson-Nowlin-style ramp (flat, not rounded). I think I picked it up for S&G as a possible future project, and then just forgot all about it. It's a full diameter (.573) barrel with a .580 muzzle, and as best I can tell, about a .309 bore.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks
Randy

RJaquith

Back to top Go down

Has anyone heard of a .31 Knebel wildcatt cartridge in a 1911 platform? Empty Bar Sto barrel

Post by Star loader 7/19/2023, 11:41 am

RJaquith wrote:In diving through the mounds of parts and stuff in my workshop today, I came across a barrel that I picked up somewhere on a whim but forgot all about. It is a Bar-Sto ramped barrel, stamped "Barsto 31 Knebel" on the hood. It's what I believe is a Wilson-Nowlin-style ramp (flat, not rounded). I think I picked it up for S&G as a possible future project, and then just forgot all about it. It's a full diameter (.573) barrel with a .580 muzzle, and as best I can tell, about a .309 bore.

Thanks
Randy
Call Bar Sto

Star loader

Back to top Go down

Has anyone heard of a .31 Knebel wildcatt cartridge in a 1911 platform? Empty Bar Sto barrel

Post by Star loader 7/20/2023, 9:51 am

RJaquith wrote:In diving through the mounds of parts and stuff in my workshop today, I came across a barrel that I picked up somewhere on a whim but forgot all about. It is a Bar-Sto ramped barrel, stamped "Barsto 31 Knebel" on the hood. It's what I believe is a Wilson-Nowlin-style ramp (flat, not rounded). I think I picked it up for S&G as a possible future project, and then just forgot all about it. It's a full diameter (.573) barrel with a .580 muzzle, and as best I can tell, about a .309 bore.

Thanks
Randy
Bar Sto made the barrel for Manson reamers for a project that they were working on . Exclamation

Star loader

Back to top Go down

Has anyone heard of a .31 Knebel wildcatt cartridge in a 1911 platform? Empty Re: Has anyone heard of a .31 Knebel wildcatt cartridge in a 1911 platform?

Post by RJaquith 7/20/2023, 11:17 am

Thanks

I tried a .30 carbine case, which was a perfect fit, but was about .273 too long; that would make the chamber about 1.017 ( +), which doesn't seem to have any other case for a parent, as even the new .30 Super is about .827. Don't know what magazines would work in a 1911 with a case base diameter of .360.

Maybe it could be rechambered to something that uses 9mm or 38 super mags, but I don't know what - even .30 mauserĀ  (.0.984) would be a little short, with the OAL of a loaded round too long for the mag.

RJaquith

Back to top Go down

Has anyone heard of a .31 Knebel wildcatt cartridge in a 1911 platform? Empty Re: Has anyone heard of a .31 Knebel wildcatt cartridge in a 1911 platform?

Post by Star loader 7/20/2023, 1:07 pm

RJaquith wrote:Thanks

I tried a .30 carbine case, which was a perfect fit, but was about .273 too long; that would make the chamber about 1.017 ( +), which doesn't seem to have any other case for a parent, as even the new .30 Super is about .827. Don't know what magazines would work in a 1911 with a case base diameter of .360.

Maybe it could be rechambered to something that uses 9mm or 38 super mags, but I don't know what - even .30 mauserĀ  (.0.984) would be a little short, with the OAL of a loaded round too long for the mag.
Get ahold of Manson , they might be able to help.

Star loader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down