Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullseye shearing in powder dropper

+2
targetshooter_10x
razerface
6 posters

Go down

Bullseye shearing in powder dropper Empty Bullseye shearing in powder dropper

Post by razerface 5/10/2024, 9:24 am

I use a rcbs powder dropper. I am trying to reload with bullseye since it seems to be favored here. It does not seem to meter well thru my rcbs. About every 3rd or 4th time the handle gets hard to pull and when i dump the powder out of the case to look at it,,there will be a clump of powder that you can tell got compressed together and sheared off on the edge of the cavity on the rcbs. Anyone else having this problem?

Bullseye shearing in powder dropper Img_1611

razerface

Back to top Go down

Bullseye shearing in powder dropper Empty Re: Bullseye shearing in powder dropper

Post by targetshooter_10x 5/10/2024, 1:40 pm

I use Bullseye almost exclusively for my handgun reloading and have the similar Hornady designed powder dispenser. The only time I had that problem is when I left the powder in the hopper for a long time uncovered and the ambient humidity caused it clump. Many powders are hydroscopic as I discovered and will clump (like salt). Beware of using it in very light loads ( < 2.0 grains ) as the moisture will increase the weight of the powder being thrown and leave you with a lighter overall charge.
targetshooter_10x
targetshooter_10x

Back to top Go down

Bullseye shearing in powder dropper Empty Re: Bullseye shearing in powder dropper

Post by ShooterSteve 5/11/2024, 4:44 am

I had the same problem with Bullseye in my Lyman 55 powder thrower.  It was not quite as frequent as you mentioned but often enough to be a pain.  I never could find a solution to make the 55 work better with Bullseye.  Several years ago I purchased the RCBS Little Dandy and an assortment of drums which have preset volume.  With this powder measure, Bullseye flows through very nice without the hangups.  For single stage loading pistol rounds, the Little Dandy has become my favorite powder thrower for all pistol powders.  Steve

ShooterSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin 5/11/2024, 7:21 am

yes i have the same issue when i drop very small loads, 1.2g of bullseye for my .32SWL  i have lived with this for years. 
but i do not see any difference in the functioning of my loads. it also happens with tightgroup powder.
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 5/11/2024, 7:35 am

Try adding a baffle to the powder hopper?
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by razerface 5/11/2024, 2:43 pm

It looks like the light load is not liked by my powder dropper. When i got up to 4gr the problem is almost completely gone. I went back down to 3.5gr and had immediate problems again. Still not happy though. Measuring a bunch of drops i am getting 3.9-4.2 weight difference.

razerface

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/11/2024, 3:07 pm

For 25 yards and training, that variance won’t mean much. Here is a target fired to use up some leftover chronograph loads that varied from 3.8, 4.0, and 4.2 grains of bullseye and 452AA. They all hit within the 10 ring at 25 yards. The shots outside the “blob” were called. The gun isn’t even my “bullseye” gun but it IS as accurate. Both targets have all 3 levels of powder charge in them.

I have found that bullseye will measure consistently at some measure settings better than other settings.

Bullseye shearing in powder dropper Img_0719
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down