Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eyes Wide Open, or...

+7
Wobbley
JHHolliday
Dulcmrman
JRV
Wes Lorenz
james r chapman
ding-a-ling
11 posters

Go down

Eyes Wide Open, or... Empty Eyes Wide Open, or...

Post by ding-a-ling 5/13/2024, 4:41 pm

I keep seeing the "red dot mastery" add on FB, but either I don't want to shell out the $ or I'm hard headed. Either way, this bunch has probably sorted this out ad nasuem.

I use an UltraDot 30mm. I find that I shoot my best when I keep both eyes open, but have a blinder on my weak (suplicant?) left eye.

Can anyone explain the concept behind this? My son is cross dominant, so a blinder may be a fact for him. I'd like to guide him correctly....

TIA
ding-a-ling
ding-a-ling

Back to top Go down

Eyes Wide Open, or... Empty Re: Eyes Wide Open, or...

Post by james r chapman 5/13/2024, 8:28 pm

Cross dominate, and a blinder is necessary.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

ding-a-ling likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 5/13/2024, 11:37 pm

If you teach yourself to shoot with both eyes open (no blinder) you will find it an advantage.
Better depth perception and no one can sneak up on your blind side if using as a carry piece.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV 5/14/2024, 6:48 am

What’s the question? Why blinders? Or should blinders be used for general shooting instruction?

Why? Minimize eye fatigue. Bullseye is an endurance sport for your eyes. Monocular vision through the sighting system (metallic or electronic) without (1) needing to close your non-dominant eye and (2) needing to process (i.e. consciously ignore) the visual information from the eye that’s not behind the sight. Blinders give your muscles and brain fewer things to do. The benefit is more pronounced with irons, but still present with a dot.

A good translucent blinder is worth its weight in gold.

Blinders are tools for precision sport shooting, not general/practical shooting. Binocular vision is beneficial for defensive training and practical competition. The visual focus demands tend to be short bursts over a variety of distances. Much easier on the eyes.

As to internet training on red dots, it’s not worth the money. Most pistol instructors are useless grifters. For practical red dot use (both eyes open, performance- or defensive-oriented), Ben Stoeger has too much good information available for free online to justify paying anyone else.

JRV

L. Boscoe, MkFiji and ding-a-ling like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulcmrman 5/14/2024, 9:42 am

For a couple of years I was shooting bullseye using a Burris Fast Fire III on both my .22 and .45.  I am left eye dominant but right handed/right eyed shooter.  I tried keeping both eyes open and it was not that difficult to do with the reflex sight.

However, when shooting with a tube-type red dot like the UltraDot, I found it more difficult as my dominant left eye seemed to see too much of the side of the scope and it was distracting.

During the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club Mid-Winter match this past February, I paid particular attention to the best shooters there, including members of the AMU, John Zurek, and several other high master shooters.  Virtually ALL of them used a blinder on their non-shooting eye.

If shooters at this level are all using a blinder, I decided that I would follow their example.  My scores are improving as a result.

YMMV,

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

Dulcmrman

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday 5/14/2024, 9:52 am

FWIW quick/easy/free way to test blinder: 1-2 strips of translucent scotch tape on the shooting glass lens over the non-dominant eye

Last edited by JHHolliday on 5/14/2024, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

JRV likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 5/14/2024, 10:43 am

Why would you close or blind one eye when you don't do that for any thing else we humans do?  Shocked
worked for me in Bullseye and Highpower.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/14/2024, 11:35 am

Some people shoot better with a blinder, but NEVER use a fully opaque blinder. It should be translucent, hence the trick of scotch tape on your shooting glasses. Some people, particularly those with cross-dominance, aren’t that vision dominant to adjust the grip and position to maintain vision in the dominant eye, so a blinder helps do that.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

JRV and ding-a-ling like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 5/14/2024, 12:44 pm

My dominant eye can flip from one side to the other. It's very weird. Without some sort of blinder I can shoot careful aimed shots at my neighbour's target then wonder where it went in the scope. About 1cm^2 masking tape in the correct place for my left eye is quite sufficient.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/14/2024, 1:14 pm

Wes Lorenz wrote:Why would you close or blind one eye when you don't do that for any thing else we humans do?  Shocked
Congratulations!

You are unique!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV 5/14/2024, 1:40 pm

Wes Lorenz wrote:Why would you close or blind one eye when you don't do that for any thing else we humans do?  Shocked

I don’t use guns for much in my daily life, but if I need to hurl a small rock at a black circle a half-football field away, I’m happy to use a good tool for that job.

When you shoot HP rifle… do you wear a shooting jacket and sling? Do you use those for anything else as a human?

JRV

Neil308 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by paul noles 5/14/2024, 5:45 pm

Wow!!! That went in the weeds FAST

paul noles

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/14/2024, 7:04 pm

Okay, point taken. Let’s keep it civil guys.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 5/14/2024, 9:44 pm

To the ops question about shooting with a blinder vs no blinder - if you close your non-dominant eye when shooting you are focusing with your dominant eye.  This is how most of us learned to shoot. The trouble comes when you try and do this for a 270 shot match. Closing that eye will become fatiguing and your results will be inconsistent. By covering the eye it takes that portion of your vision out of the equation but keeps it relaxed. That is likely why you are shooting well with that arrangement. 

John

John Dervis

ermakevin, MkFiji, ding-a-ling and ziaturner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraiEsq 5/17/2024, 10:30 am

Wes Fleming gave me a white translucent occluder to try at Nationals last year.  It was a bit of an adjustment but now it seems as natural as can be when I shoot bullseye.  It's part of my routine.  Besides, other non-BE shooters think you are really cool if you wear "that thing on your glasses" at the range.  (Note: I shoot iron sights only.)

When I shoot two-handed/facing the target, I do not use the occluder.  I'm not sure if that is normal, but if I don't, I seem to stare at the white "blind" spot.

Last edited by SaraiEsq on 5/17/2024, 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : me forgot stuffsies)
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/17/2024, 12:06 pm

Regarding cross dominance. I’ve found a translucent occluded over the dominant eye reduces visual acuity in the sighting eye. I get a much clearer picture closing my dominant eye or using a patch.

When occluding the non-dominate eye, the dominate eye isn’t affected as much
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down