Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Us Advantage Arms Conversion-nuances

5 posters

Go down

New to Us Advantage Arms Conversion-nuances Empty New to Us Advantage Arms Conversion-nuances

Post by Grouse 5/14/2024, 7:23 pm

Hi Faithful,
Recently acquired a used Advantage Arms Target conversion. Cleaned it up, with special attention to the chamber (scrubbed carbon ring out. Lubed it up well as it seemed to have sat for a second. Replaced recoil buffer  and recoil spring with 8lb Nelson spring and buffer. Slapped it on a RIA frame. For functions sake ran 25 rounds each  of CCI SV and Aguila SE (what was hand) with no Misfires, FTF , or FTE. 

Might be the chicken little in me, but my family LOVES our Nelsons  and therefore I’m looking for aspects of the AA conversion that may cause hiccup. Son will likely run as an iron sight gun so no optic will be mounted ….for now. 
Any nuances those with AA conversions would like to bring up? 
Thanks in advance!

Grouse

Back to top Go down

New to Us Advantage Arms Conversion-nuances Empty Re: New to Us Advantage Arms Conversion-nuances

Post by Tripscape 5/14/2024, 11:06 pm

My firing pin spring was too light. On top of that the firing pin is cutin such way that there is a vertical sharp cut before the taper. So what happens is that the firing pin cut pre-taper digs into the firing pin channel with not enough firing pin spring force to push it back = full auto. Fixing it was super easy. Remove the firing pin assembly via 1 screw and a roll pin. Replace spring with stiffer spring from home depot assorted spring pack. Sand the firing pin surface and especially that step-down to create radius that wont catch. Many rounds down since then with no issues.  Was very hard to trace that issue initially until I feel tested firing pin spring resistane on AA vs Nill vs Marvel side by side.

Tripscape

Grouse likes this post

Back to top Go down

New to Us Advantage Arms Conversion-nuances Empty Re: New to Us Advantage Arms Conversion-nuances

Post by Tripscape 5/14/2024, 11:14 pm

My extractor was also not well cut. It did not have proper radius to go into the barrel recess. This also made me think the extractor was setting rounds off full auto. Fix was easy too. 1 roll pin out. Profile the extractor. To give it back extraction space/claw/catch - take off material on the front of extractor leg internal to the slide, that will close it in more and give back the width you took off when profiling. if you ever need to do that...

Tripscape

Grouse likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter 5/15/2024, 6:28 pm

I like the Marvel Custom Pro AA very much. The only thing I noticed was that after the 5th round, it use to always locked back. Now it may or may not. Any hints on how to fix this would be appreciated

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/16/2024, 4:58 am

xmastershooter wrote:I like the Marvel Custom Pro AA very much. The only thing I noticed was that after the 5th round, it use to always locked back. Now it may or may not. Any hints on how to fix this would be appreciated
The slide notch may be rounded. Maybe peen it back into shape.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 5/16/2024, 11:30 am

The Advantage Arms 1911 conversion has had at least 3 designs of the slide stop insert.  The most recent one I know of is a squarish side plate with two tiny screws behind the stop notch.  Steve at AA replaced my slide when the earlier design failed. 
Also AA has had at least 3 buffer designs that I know of.
Jack H
Jack H

Grouse likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter 5/16/2024, 2:53 pm

Hi Jack, do you have the contact info for Steve at AA?  Thanks

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 5/17/2024, 12:39 am

xmastershooter wrote:Hi Jack, do you have the contact info for Steve at AA?  Thanks

Try this for AA.
https://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT

I have one AA unit left, including a Bob Marvel prepared barrel for it #012
Jack H
Jack H

Grouse likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grouse 5/18/2024, 6:57 am

Thanks for the info gents….it appears the one I got was the iteration with the built up slide stop notch. There was no buffer in the recoil spring when I got it…had a Nelson buffer in my box. a bit concerned as  over tightening guide rod seems to affect “tightness” of the unit that may affect function

Grouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 5/18/2024, 4:52 pm

Grouse wrote:Thanks for the info gents….it appears the one I got was the iteration with the built up slide stop notch. There was no buffer in the recoil spring when I got it…had a Nelson buffer in my box. a bit concerned as  over tightening guide rod seems to affect “tightness” of the unit that may affect function

The "no buffer" as I recall had a relief cut in the back of the dust cover so it would never reach where the buffer would be.  I believe you then would have to have just the right recoil spring and ammo combination.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down