Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What 22 Conversion to Buy?

+10
JayhawkNavy02
DavidR
ssds14534
Jack H
Jon Eulette
gitkrunk
markj
Rob Kovach
LenV
chiltech500
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What 22 Conversion to Buy? Empty What 22 Conversion to Buy?

Post by chiltech500 Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:26 pm

Gents,

I am looking at my first 22 conversion purchase and do not have unlimited funds. It will be for a Springfield Loaded model.

I have been looking at the Nighthawk site and see $560 for mag and slide/barrel, I think this is a Marvel licensed unit.

I saw a post about Nelson at mid $400 and I see on ebay Advantage Arms kit, GSG, and Kimber "factory" kits, all in the high $200's.

Marvels website mentions a lock back unit at $499 but their ordering menu doesn't give you that option.

I am new to conversions so any guidance would be appreciated.

chiltech500

Back to top Go down

What 22 Conversion to Buy? Empty Re: What 22 Conversion to Buy?

Post by LenV Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:55 pm

There is a Nelson unit going off E-bay very shortly.If you want a dot mounted on the conversion you really want one of the Nelson/Marvel units.They have the barrel and rail as a non-moving part.The others everything moves and a 22 won't do the job and let you mount the dot on the slide. Just my opinion but don't think you would be happy with less.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:50 pm

There are 2 types of 1911 .22 conversions:
1. the "target" style (Marvel Unit 1, Advantage Arms Target, Nighthawk Target, Nelson and others) ones where only the bottom of the slide moves, and the sights stay still.  Because the sights are bolted to the fixed barrel, you can install iron sights or a dot.
2. the "standard" conversion (Kimber, Marvel Unit 2, Advantage Arms standard, GSG, Walther/colt, others) where the whole slide moves with recoil.  These cannot be retrofit for a rail or dot sight--the .22 recoil won't be strong enough to cycle the extra weight.

Most of the "standard" conversions are capable of 2" groups while most of the "target" conversions are capable of appx 1" groups.

I have this one as my primary right now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Advantage-Arms-Conversion-Kit-Target-1911-22LR-with-Cleaning-Kit-/331173863669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1b8020f5
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:04 pm

Here's another listing where there are more available: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Advantage-Arms-AAC191122T-22LR-Colt-1911-Pistol-Conversion-Kit-w-Cleaning-Kit-/380883363515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58ae6ae6bb
even though they are cheaper than the others, I find that mine shoots better than the Marvel Unit 1 that I have.  I just love it.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Rob could probably tell you if the Advantage Arms unit locks back after last round. I admit that I know very little about them.However, I do know that the Nelson kit that is on E-bay does lock back.I see from your original post that you were interested in that feature,

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Yes, the Advantage Arms conversions lock back after the last shot.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by markj Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi, I just purchased a Nelson conversion. Received it a few days ago and just got home from doing some ransom rest testing. SK Pistol match, SK standard plus, CCI SV all grouped 1" or less for 10 round groups at 50 yards. Federal auto match grouped around 1.5" I got several 5 shot groups around .5"
 SO FAR, Im very impressed with the Nelson/ Marvel conversion. the machine work is top quality and it shot very consistently. I ordered direct from Nelson. Spoke with Larry the owner, for quite a while, really nice guy. I got the version with sights but will be ordering the scope base top for it soon.
 At this point I can not really speak for the reliability, but I shot a Bowling Pin match with it the day I got it and made it through 12 rounds of pins (about 65 shots fired) with no malfunctions. I noticed today the CCI was a little tight going into the chamber and I got 1 stove pipe with it. Thant stinks because its the only SV ammo I have more than a brick of..
-Mark

What 22 Conversion to Buy? Nelson14
What 22 Conversion to Buy? Nelson15

markj

Back to top Go down

Post by markj Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:04 pm

Wow, I just realized Ive been a member here for a year and this is only my third post... That's terrible. I will try and remedy that.
 Due to family circumstances I wasn't able to attend many matches last year but Im really focused on shooting as many as I can this year, and will likely have plenty of questions!

Hope to find out how the Nelson conversion performs at the SRGC match here in GA next week...

markj

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Mark J,

You can order an assortment of lighter recoil springs.  I prefer to order them from Marvel Precision.  Their assortment comes in a bag with a color key on it and each different weight spring is painted a different color stripe for each spring weight.  Each ammo velocity likes a different spring, and you can dial in maximum reliability that way.  There is a balance that you need to achieve between ammo, recoil spring, and mainspring.  One of my setups is down to a 6lb recoil spring and it's shooting Aguila Sub-Sonic.  Perfectly reliable.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:29 am

Rob K,

Did you ever find a conversion that would work on a 1911 with a W/N ramp? I have a Gold Match ll that Roddy did a trigger job on that is great to shoot. I even fired it in a couple of CF matches and broke 800 with it. That is not to bad of a score for a 40 s&w.Since it has the great trigger it would make a neat conversion. I have never found one that would work though. Still looking.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by gitkrunk Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:47 am

Does the Nelson have a steel or alum slide?
gitkrunk
gitkrunk

Back to top Go down

Post by chiltech500 Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:59 am

I purchased Nelson on Ebay for $450 with mag and tools. I believe I saved some $ vs buying from Nelson. Thanks for your replies.

chiltech500

Back to top Go down

Post by markj Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:47 am

Thanks for the tip Rob, I will order the springs.
 The Slide is Aluminum, it has a small steel pin that it locks back on, and a steel insert for the breech face.

chiltech500, the price is about the same either way. Be sure to send him a note and let him know you will be using it for Bullseye. He (Larry), told me mine would have a "bullseye chamber". I guess he uses a larger chamber for the guys that are using them for run and gun games or general plinking.
-Mark

markj

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:57 am

I spoke with Larry about the chambering options. They are basically using different depths of chamber cut. It changes how much the bullet is engraving into rifling. Supposedly using same reamer for all 3 options.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:19 am

I got a Nighthawk unit before I knew there was a Nelson.  I had been on the list with Bob Marvel for a Custom Pro II for a long time.  The Nighthawk was shooting very well.  Finally I got hold of Bob Marvel and received my Custom Pro II.  In talk with Bob I mentioned the Nighthawks chamber and ramp had a bit of unsupported chamber.  Bob said to call Larry at Nelson.  Larry exchanged the Nighthawk barrel for one of his "bullseye" barrels.  I could not be more pleased.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:21 am

Jon Eulette wrote:I spoke with Larry about the chambering options.  They are basically using different depths of chamber cut. It changes how much the bullet is engraving into rifling. Supposedly using same reamer for all 3 options.
Jon

I wonder what chambering and other things Bob Marvel uses on the Custom Pro II.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by ssds14534 Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:42 am

Rob Kovach wrote:Mark J,

You can order an assortment of lighter recoil springs.  I prefer to order them from Marvel Precision.  Their assortment comes in a bag with a color key on it and each different weight spring is painted a different color stripe for each spring weight.  Each ammo velocity likes a different spring, and you can dial in maximum reliability that way.  There is a balance that you need to achieve between ammo, recoil spring, and mainspring.  One of my setups is down to a 6lb recoil spring and it's shooting Aguila Sub-Sonic.  Perfectly reliable.

Yes from what I read around the forums most people have to "achieve the balance" to get to 1 inch groups at 50 yards, reliably feed and lock back. I believe the Springers have a heavier mainspring that may need to be swapped to achieve utopia.

ssds14534

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:37 pm

I was able to shoot my new nelson this weekend and it is a very nice shooter, I didn't have a dot on it so it was only function testing but it was so much better feeling to me than any of the four original marvel units I have built, cant wait to get it completed and shoot it in a match. I would recommend it highly over marvels current and preceding offerings. Pros; fit, function, looks, weight  cons; magazines require the use of a thumb inserted device to load, but nelson furnishes a really nice aluminum one  in the kit
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gitkrunk Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:02 pm

I know Nelson is doing a Facebook coupon as well for a free mag when you order the kit
gitkrunk
gitkrunk

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:31 pm

Yes they are, 25.00 freebee !!This is what they posted..... To celebrate the launching of our web store we will be giving away a free magazine to everyone that orders a conversion unit (in any configuration) from now until April 20th, Easter! Just add a magazine to your order and then enter the coupon code FBMAG to get the mag for FREE!
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:44 pm

I just got mine from Larry at Nelson Custom, wow, the fit and finish is top notch, the materials are super.  Everything from the box to the packaging is first rate.  The magazines are plastic and fit perfect and look incredibly durable.  Sight picture is terrific, the top of the slide is serrated and the rib can be easily removed for an optic.  Larry was terrific to deal with and can answer your questions.  Great guy, making stuff here in the USA from Mr. Marvel's updated design.  Off to the range today to break it in, can't wait!
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by gitkrunk Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:00 pm

So I'm all for product development but... What is different from this design from the marvel,advantage,nighthawk or what ever other company Mr. Marvel has sold his design to?
gitkrunk
gitkrunk

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:13 pm

If I understand correctly, the Marvel being sold at Marvel Precision is his old design, which deviated from his expectations of quality and not affiliated with mr. marvel in any way.

The nighthawk is like the nelson, but designed to feed a greater variety of ammunition with a minor decrease in accuracy.  

The Nelson Custom 22 conversion is slightly more accurate than the marvel unit 1/2, more reliable and cheaper and integrates updates from Mr. marvel.  It also has a locking slide.  A feature you have to pay extra for with Marvel Precision.

Larry would be the guy to talk to since he and Mr. Marvel coordinated for the conversion and he knows the history with Marvel Precision, which no longer has any affiliation with Mr. Marvel.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:46 pm

What's the web address for this Nelson fellow??
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by gitkrunk Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:11 pm

Dr.Don wrote:What's the web address for this Nelson fellow??
http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com
gitkrunk
gitkrunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next