Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lightest Mount for small red dot

3 posters

Go down

Lightest Mount for small red dot Empty Lightest Mount for small red dot

Post by chiltech500 Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:51 am

I'm new to adding mounts for scopes on a 1911. I'm looking for a small and light mount system for a Burris fastfire 3. My Ber wadcutter will have the big frame mount removed. A picatinny accepting system if necessary for the new mount.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just don't have the ability to sift through the options. Rather than reinventing a wheel I would like someones system that works and won't break the bank.

Thanks in advance.

chiltech500

Back to top Go down

Lightest Mount for small red dot Empty Re: Lightest Mount for small red dot

Post by Schaumannk Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:08 pm

chiltech500 wrote:I'm new to adding mounts for scopes on a 1911. I'm looking for a small and light mount system for a Burris fastfire 3. My Ber wadcutter will have the big frame mount removed. A picatinny accepting system if necessary for the new mount.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just don't have the ability to sift through the options. Rather than reinventing a wheel I would like someones system that works and won't break the bank.

Thanks in advance.
Can I discourage you from choosing the fast fire?   Works fine, indoors but the dot is not particularly bright and will tend to wash out, and become invisible on a bright day.  Maybe that has changed, because I am not sure what is different about the 3.  

How about trying it for a while on your old mount, and if it works out, then find a way to attach it directly to your slide?   That will give you a nice low profile.  

Also any weight at all on your slide, as opposed to a frame mount, will probably require you to lighten up your recoil spring, and retune your loads.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Go through these threads:
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/search?search_keywords=burris

There are combinations of parts that might work for your Les Baer.  If you are moving forward with the FastFire because you already have one, then I won't try to talk you out of it--it was my first optic on my 1911, and it wasn't too bad.  I never had problems with brightness in bright sun.

To get the lowest mount, you should use the adapter for attaching the sight to the rear sight dovetail.

Is your slide naked or does it have dovetail cuts for iron sights?

If your slide is naked, then you might as well drill the slide for a full rail.  I like: http://www.marvelcustomguns.com/1911_new_bo-mar.htm

If you are that far, you can use an Ultradot micro or otherwise, bushnell Trs-25 or Aimpoint micro which are simply better optics for Bullseye than the Fastfire.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down