Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ultradot 30 v Burris fastfire III

+2
DavidR
geo
6 posters

Go down

Burris - Ultradot 30 v Burris fastfire III Empty Ultradot 30 v Burris fastfire III

Post by geo 10/28/2014, 8:57 am

I have several Ultrdots and like them (on my 22 pistols)  I am thinking about getting another red dot and was wondering what might be the advantage of a Burris FFIII over the Ultradot 30.  Thanks for any input on this.  The pistols are used for target shooting.  I might want to try some steel target comps in the future.  George

geo

Back to top Go down

Burris - Ultradot 30 v Burris fastfire III Empty Re: Ultradot 30 v Burris fastfire III

Post by DavidR 10/28/2014, 9:09 am

I doubt you will find any accuracy advantage with any burris, the ultradot is tried and true and dot for dot I would only consider a aimpoint to be as good or even better.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Burris - Ultradot 30 v Burris fastfire III Empty Re: Ultradot 30 v Burris fastfire III

Post by scrum derringer 10/28/2014, 9:16 am

A friend put a fastfire III on a 1911, as a non committal way to get into bullseye without drilling holes. The advantage is its light and compact. Disadvantage that I saw was the field of view through the lens was distorted and discolored, I believe there are only 3 intensity settings, and the field of view isn't a circle(ref: articles on concentric circles being easier on the eye to aim.) He also had issues of shimming the base mount, although it could have been an issue of what he thought he ordered and what he actually got. SA's have an LPA cut, others have other cuts.
scrum derringer
scrum derringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 10/28/2014, 9:57 am

installing fastfires in a Springfield target sight cut is problematic.  they are a decent optic.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shaky452 10/28/2014, 11:25 pm

I Installed a Burris FastFire lll on a 1911 chambered for 9mm utilizing the Bomar sight cut that was in the slide. This setup is compact and I've not experienced any shifts in zero.  You will notice that the FastFire lll provides a slight but noticeable magnification. The 9mm 1911 with the FastFire lll and an empty magazine weighs 41 ounces, while my .45 1911 with a standard 1" Ultra Dot mounted on the slide with a Clark mount and low Weaver rings weighs 48 ounces. You will definitely feel the difference switching guns. I prefer the additional 7 ounces the Ultra Dot provides.  With my setup on the 1911, I get lubricant and other debris on the front of the lens. This may be a problem that I encourage by keeping my guns very well lubricated.

shaky452

Back to top Go down

Post by mparker 10/29/2014, 6:23 am

I've used BSA, Adco, Aimpoint, Aim Sports, Burris, and Ultradot. I've also sampled a number of different dots, tubes and reflex, by being able to shoot pistols belonging to friends and shooters I meet at the range. We all do that to some degree ... don't we?

The ones that rise to the top on every occasion for me are the Ultradot, Aimpoint, and an old Adco. Walk the line at any big competition and I'm pretty sure you'll see an overwhelming number of Ultradots. In my mind it's a price/performance thing.

mparker

Back to top Go down

Burris - Ultradot 30 v Burris fastfire III Empty Thanks!

Post by geo 10/29/2014, 12:26 pm

I appreciate all of the replies to my question.  I have several ultradot 30s and am happy with them.  I think I will pass on the Burris and get another Ultradot when I make a move on another red dot.  Again, thanks for the input  George

geo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down