Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W 686 Competitor?

2 posters

Go down

S&W 686 Competitor? Empty S&W 686 Competitor?

Post by beeser Wed Nov 26 2014, 10:37

Has anyone used the S&W 686 Competitor?  Comments?

beeser

Back to top Go down

S&W 686 Competitor? Empty Re: S&W 686 Competitor?

Post by beeser Wed Nov 26 2014, 19:46

I stopped by my favorite local gun store this afternoon and was pointed to an alternative to the Competitor, a standard 686 that is already drilled and tapped for a scope mount.  Apparently all that needs to be done is remove the rear sight.  Is that just as effective in mounting a scope as the rail on the Competitor?  Also, according to S&Ws website the Competitor is quite a bit heavier than a standard 686.  Is that an advantage?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Nov 26 2014, 20:14

Hey Beezer.

The 686 standard model is a very good shooter. Removing the rear sight and mounting a weaver rail takes about 3 minutes and is very effective. I have no idea what you plan on using the pistol for but if you plan on shooting the center fire match with it then I don't think the extra weight would be very important to you. If you want the pistol for DSR matches the scope mount is not needed so standard 686 is best choice. If your planning on a little combat pistol then go for the competitor.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Nov 26 2014, 21:00

OldMaster64 wrote:Hey Beezer.

The 686 standard model is a very good shooter. Removing the rear sight and mounting a weaver rail takes about 3 minutes and is very effective. I have no idea what you plan on using the pistol for but if you plan on shooting the center fire match with it then I don't think the extra weight would be very important to you. If you want the pistol for DSR matches the scope mount is not needed so standard 686 is best choice. If your planning on a little combat pistol then go for the competitor.

Len
Thanks Len!  I don't plan on using it for any matches, just trying out new things to find the bullseye for my own satisfaction.  I recently pulled out my S&W 27-2 to try out my first time loading of .38 wadcutters and enjoyed the switch to a revolver.  It was a much different feeling than the S&W 52-2.  It was about this time that the Competitor came into focus and I wondered about its performance, especially considering the extra weight that it carries.  I also thought it might be an easier route to adding a scope or red dot.  I'll probably get rid of my Pardini SP and Colt pre-70s 1911 so looking for new toys to play with is part of it.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Nov 26 2014, 21:24

The scope or dot IMHO would mount to far forward on the competitor and the balance would be wrong. I like to have the dot as far back as possible on a wheel gun without getting in the way of the hammer. With all the extra weight already forward it would be really nosey.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Nov 26 2014, 21:55

OldMaster64 wrote:The scope or dot IMHO would mount to far forward on the competitor and the balance would be wrong. I like to have the dot as far back as possible on a wheel gun without getting in the way of the hammer. With all the extra weight already forward it would be really nosey.

Len
Never thought of that.  Thanks!

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down