Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elbow variations

4 posters

Go down

Elbow variations Empty Elbow variations

Post by mspingeld 12/26/2014, 10:22 am

Not sure if this has been discussed before. Any shooting orthopedists/chiropractors out there?

If I extend my arm with the gun horizontal, palm up. Then rotate gun to vertical, the crease in my elbow stays almost horizontal, parallel to the floor. But, if I extend with the gun horizontal, palm down and then rotate the gun to vertical, the crease in my elbow stays closer to vertical at about 30 degrees.

Is there a difference? Is one more stable than the other? Is one more likely to cause elbow problems i.e. tendonitis?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Elbow variations Empty Re: Elbow variations

Post by Rob Kovach 12/26/2014, 4:08 pm

I'm not a doctor...but since talk is cheap---

I used to shoot with my arm/inside of the elbow joint at the 30% thing.  I was an auto mechanic at that time and I struggled with tennis & golfers elbow as well as a nerve impingement in my shoulder.  This could have been a combination of my shooting technique and my work or perhaps it has nothing to do with shooting at all.

Since recovering from those injuries I shoot with the inside of the elbow facing the sky.  This stabilizes my shoulder and wrist better and there is no cant. My shooting is more consistent now than ever.  When I get my Expert card I will be halfway to Master already shooting irons.

I'm no longer a mechanic, and my current work is very easy on my body, but as a person who suffered from those chronic conditions, I am comfortable saying the method I am using now doesn't aggravate those previous conditions.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m 12/29/2014, 10:11 am

Mike,

What you have described is what some call locking up your elbow.  If you shoot both ways Timed or Rapid you should notice you will recover for the next shot faster with your elbow locked up.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 12/29/2014, 10:13 am

Tom, "locked up" is the first method I mentioned, correct?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m 12/31/2014, 10:42 am

Yes the first method you described is "locked up" and is the process I use.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 12/31/2014, 11:12 am

LtC Miller mentored me to roll my arm and gun outward to set the shoulder back.  Then return the gun to upright, keeping the shoulder back.  And not putting a lot of pressure on the elbow from the tricep area.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down