Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improving the reliability of the Arrow JT-21M

+11
Froneck
ric1911a1
bruce martindale
jglenn21
Dave C.
DavidR
GrumpyOldMan
Schaumannk
LenV
Deerspy
Sa-tevp
15 posters

Go down

Improving the reliability of the Arrow JT-21M Empty Improving the reliability of the Arrow JT-21M

Post by Sa-tevp Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:52 pm

I'm getting a lot of alibi's with my critical piece of bullseye gear, so I'm writing to ask the community what they like to do to keep their gun accurate and reliable.

Ammo is the manufacturer's, and always shoots to call when it fires, right where I aim them on the repair center at either 50 or 25 yards. I use the trick of marking the last six or so red to see on the target or in the magazine window when I'm about to run out. (tracers on the end of a belt?) While the trigger pull is acceptable, I think the problem is in the magazine.

Any gunsmithing or lubrication secrets anyone wants to share?

P.S. mr alexander about a third of the way down is still my hero on this thread: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=37164
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Improving the reliability of the Arrow JT-21M Empty Re: Improving the reliability of the Arrow JT-21M

Post by Deerspy Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:14 pm

yep I have one just put some gun oil on about once a year mine is at least 30 years old.

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Improving the reliability of the Arrow JT-21M Empty Re: Improving the reliability of the Arrow JT-21M

Post by LenV Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:12 pm

Go with the longer ammo. The shorter stuff turns over or does weird things in the feed.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:43 pm

OldMaster64 wrote:Go with the longer ammo. The shorter stuff turns over or does weird things in the feed.
I have never had a problem with mine....   This may be why.    I don't use the short stuff.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Just the usual check the follower and feed track for burrs and sticky gunk that sometimes gets dragged in.

THEN check the final feed position--the metal surrounding the one about to be fired can get dinged or even bent. I have seen this most often on Saturday Night Specials intended for very skinny wire projectiles, usually off-brands.

The crown can also pick up burrs from being dropped.

Finally, check the launch piston. A little bent screws things up royally. A projectile that gets jammed between it and its operating channel can leave a scratch than impedes proper function.

A business card trimmed to fit can be dragged through various parts of the mechanism, first dry and another one or more as needed with a trace of lube.

A drop of oil every year on the hinge points is not so much for function but to minimize wear.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:43 pm

Just followed your link.

Thank you. Mr. Alexander's 13 points of analysis are all spot-on AND well-written!

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:01 pm

Yep, the feed track was covered with burrs and full of gunk. Cleaned and polished and so far working good with 8mm OAL loads.

I still need to check again what GrumpyOldMan pointed out so that it performs to BE standards. A lot of good suggestions.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Nothin' like a fluff 'n buff...especially when that starts with a de-gunk 'n junk.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Not directly related, but I keep extra staples on my clip board for when I forget.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:02 pm

GrumpyOldMan wrote:Nothin' like a fluff 'n buff...

There is a certain similarity between the JT-21M and some consumer grade firearms currently being manufactured...
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:16 pm

dump the old metal stapler and go to hobby lobby and get their staple gun, 9.95, lighter,works perfect and shoots the j21 staples.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C. Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:00 pm

Just about 30 yrs ago I was ask by a family member what I needed for a shooting X-mass gift.
As I was using an arrow T-50 at the time I said a JT-21 stappler.  Well I ended up with 4 of them!
I still have two unopened and the one I am using.  The first one just plain wore out.

Dave C.
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:17 pm

DavidR wrote:dump the old metal stapler and go to hobby lobby and get their staple gun, 9.95, lighter,works perfect and shoots the j21 staples.

A Tupperware stapler in Bullseye? Next you'll be telling me they work underwater and all the fast operators use them.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:50 am

Sa-tevp wrote:
DavidR wrote:dump the old metal stapler and go to hobby lobby and get their staple gun, 9.95, lighter,works perfect and shoots the j21 staples.

A Tupperware stapler in Bullseye? Next you'll be telling me they work underwater and all the fast operators use them.

All the good shooters use them, lighter and less alibies it will also improve your scores by impaling the staple at just the right angle to avoid the dreaded staple glare during times of extreme sunlight while not disappearing in low light and with its superior target stapling abilities, your targets will look better and it makes the X ring almost look enlarged which will aid in better shots. Im surprised they can even offer this fine piece of equipment for under a hundred dollars but I hear their is a government subsidy that brings the price down to middle class affordability. I bought three lol!
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:52 pm

Well, I'm glad they use the traditional ammo, but are they allowed with the new CMP rule changes? They sound like a real game changer.

Also, can I get support from the manufacturer at Camp Perry or the military armorers if I have a problem or the trigger is too light?
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:02 pm

No problem, the CMP love these, they offer match grade models in their store in Anniston, also at camp perry there will be a giant mobile support vehicle sent from mainland china with full capabilities of repair and adjustment and clinics on how to get the most from your new purchase.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:24 pm

Aargh! My primary Arrow JT21M stapler died during competition. I had three for my pistol range bag, my pistol range box and my rifle range bag. My most used JT21M broke a piece off of the action that trips the hammer.

I am disappointed that the new stapler that I bought has a poorer finish than my 12 year old units. Arrow seems to be going the S&W route of sucking nickles out production steps. I tossed the broke stapler under the workbench and maybe someday will swap the guts.

Edit: Holy guacomole! Battery powered staple gun! Any spotted in the wild/on the economy? Looks good to either run out of staples and/or battery during a match.

Improving the reliability of the Arrow JT-21M T50DCD-cordless-electric-staple-gun-1
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:14 am

On a more serious note, trash the Arrow and get a Stanley. Mine is going on 5 years old without a single Alibi.. Smile the 1911 of staplers.....
jglenn21
jglenn21

Chase Turner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:29 pm

Roll or Crisp?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by ric1911a1 Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:33 pm

I prefer crisp.

Ric
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:46 pm

All that is needed now is a Red Dot Scope mount. lol!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:46 pm

No more holding drills and the reliability of lithium batteries. 

Improving the reliability of the Arrow JT-21M 523fa110

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Asa Yam Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:52 pm

RodJ wrote:... and the reliability of lithium batteries. 
And the COST of lithium batteries too....

[url=https://www.homedepot.com/s/m12 battery?NCNI-5]https://www.homedepot.com/s/m12%20battery?NCNI-5[/url]

$36.00 for the cheapest version?  OUCH!!!

Asa Yam

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda4461 Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:01 pm

You guys are mere shootists😏
Try out the Dewalt yellow belly. Costs more than a Baer, but has a better warranty for demanding work, plus it has a belt hook, so you won’t forget it and have to look foolish walking back to your spot for retrieval of your el cheapo Swingline.
As an added bonus, it accepts, S/L/LR interchangeably🥳
Amanda4461
Amanda4461

Sa-tevp likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:55 pm

I love the humor contained in this post!!!!!!!! Some serious thought went into many of the responses.!!!!!

Allen Barnett

djperry2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down