Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sight Help

+3
Ed Hall
rvlvrlvr
jmdavis
7 posters

Go down

Sight Help Empty Sight Help

Post by jmdavis 1/31/2015, 11:40 am

Does anyone know how to get the sight blade out of a Benelli MP95? Do I need to go at it from the left side? And, Any Idea what size tool to get to whatever is holding it. 

I have a new blade that I want to use, and thought that if I removed the adjusting screw and detent ball, I might be able to get it. No luck with that. 

Thanks, 

Mike
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Sight Help Empty Re: Sight Help

Post by rvlvrlvr 1/31/2015, 8:19 pm

You got any pictures of it? Maybe I can guess =)

Edit: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26491 - a channel for the front sight, which allows the sight to slide back and forth?

Last edited by rvlvrlvr on 1/31/2015, 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 1/31/2015, 8:22 pm

It's proven impossible to get a photo. I have reached the conclusion that it is a metric Allen screw. I don't have one small enough to get at it, right now. It is small, like in the 1-1.5mm range. The limited info that I have found also says that it is locktited and may need some heat.

I think that I have read every MP90-MP95 post that contains "rear sight" on the internet in the past 9 hours. 

Thanks for the offer.

Last edited by jmdavis on 1/31/2015, 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr 1/31/2015, 8:25 pm

jmdavis wrote:It's proven impossible to get a photo. I have reached the conclusion that it is a metric Allen screw. I don't have one small enough to get at it, right now. It is small, like in the 1-1.5mm range

1.5mm is probably correct, since it's a European gun.
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 2/1/2015, 10:20 am

These are pretty poor quality, but would this help at all?:
Attachments
Sight Help Attachment
BenelliMP95Ea.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(107 Kb) Downloaded 9 times
Sight Help Attachment
BenelliMP95Eb.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(63 Kb) Downloaded 2 times

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Sight Help Empty rear sight blade R&R

Post by FredB 2/1/2015, 3:46 pm

jmdavis wrote:It's proven impossible to get a photo. I have reached the conclusion that it is a metric Allen screw. I don't have one small enough to get at it, right now. It is small, like in the 1-1.5mm range. The limited info that I have found also says that it is locktited and may need some heat.

I think that I have read every MP90-MP95 post that contains "rear sight" on the internet in the past 9 hours. 

Thanks for the offer.
I wanted to do this a number of years ago and had the same problem. I called Larry (importer) and he told me how to do it. Unfortunately I have since forgotten exactly how, but I'm pretty sure the tiny screw you mentioned is the way to go. It has IIRC a head that fits a 1.5mm hex wrench (there is a smaller metric size - 1.27mm I believe - but I don't have one, so it must have been 1.5mm). If you can get through to Larry you can get the complete instructions.

HTH,
FredB

FredB

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 2/1/2015, 6:11 pm

Thanks Fred. It appears a little larger than my 1.5 mm. I will call Larry tomorrow and see what I might do differently.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape 2/2/2015, 8:16 am

I found that small metric allen head wrenches/drivers were easy to get at my hobby shop. You might have to buy a set but if your hardware store has nothing ........

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 2/2/2015, 12:26 pm

The correct size is 1.5mm, but the head of the blind setscrew is now stripped. So a question for the gunsmiths/machinists. How would you try to remove it. It may or may not have locktite on it. I am not the first owner.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by TampaTim 2/2/2015, 3:50 pm

This most likely is a M3 usually a 2.5 mm tap drill. You can try a 2mm reverse drill (left hand flutes) McMaster Carr sells them as well as other places that sell to machine shops. Usually when drilling out the screw it gets hot and loosens up any locktite. Because the drill is going the direction of backing out the screw it usually catches it and unscrews it. Using a 2 mm drill gives you a little bit of error it you do not have it directly in the center of the set screw. The set screw might have been cracked from being tightened with out the top of the screw supported by the threaded hole or just over tightened. This should allow you to be able to clean up the hole and put a new screw in.

TampaTim

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 2/2/2015, 3:55 pm

I'm going to pause because I am shooting on Wednesday. But I have ordered a new set screw and pin so I can cut it if I need to and mount the new rear blade. Thanks to everyone for your help. I really do appreciate it. 

Mike
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 2/2/2015, 8:40 pm

This evening I came home and tried a few things. What finally worked was the "wrong" bit from my Wheeler bit driver. It seems that none of the other allen wrenches went deep enough. But since the Wheeler has a bit of taper, it took the setscrew right out. The bottom of the screw was just fine (it's a deep allen head). 

So I now have a working fully adjustable windage, elevation, width and depth sight blade in the MP95. It sure seems to make it easier for my 50 year old eyes to focus on the front sight. I still need to relieve about 1/16 inch of wood on the grip, but that will wait for daylight and my woodworking files. 

Thanks again to everyone for your help.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 2/3/2015, 9:24 am

jmdavis wrote:This evening I came home and tried a few things. What finally worked was the "wrong" bit from my Wheeler bit driver. It seems that none of the other allen wrenches went deep enough. But since the Wheeler has a bit of taper, it took the setscrew right out. The bottom of the screw was just fine (it's a deep allen head). 

So I now have a working fully adjustable windage, elevation, width and depth sight blade in the MP95. It sure seems to make it easier for my 50 year old eyes to focus on the front sight. I still need to relieve about 1/16 inch of wood on the grip, but that will wait for daylight and my woodworking files. 

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 2/3/2015, 8:56 pm

Ready for practice tomorrow night. I had to open up the sight notch in the grip a little more that I though (probably 3/32), but now everything is good.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down