Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are your front sight blade and rear sight "notch" dimensions for your 1911 EIC/CMP hardball competition pistol?

4 posters

Go down

What are your front sight blade and rear sight "notch" dimensions for your 1911 EIC/CMP hardball competition pistol? Empty What are your front sight blade and rear sight "notch" dimensions for your 1911 EIC/CMP hardball competition pistol?

Post by buttstock Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Would the experienced 1911 hardball/EIC/cmp/distinguished shooters please offer their experience to a new 1911 hardball EIC/CMP shooter? What is the width of your front sight blade? What is the width of the notch in your rear sight?

My front sight is 0.125" wide. The width of my rear sight notch is 0.110". It just seems to be very "tight" (not a lot of light on the sides of the front sight, when generating a sight picture). I was curious what "normal" and "preferred" dimensions were.

I would like to know if there are advantages to having a "narrow" front sight, or a wider rear sight notch for a bit more light on either side of the sight picture? I was wondering if a narrower front sight would in some way create a more precise aiming/focal point? Or is it just shooter preference?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by buttstock on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added sight blade/notch widths dimensions)

buttstock

Back to top Go down

What are your front sight blade and rear sight "notch" dimensions for your 1911 EIC/CMP hardball competition pistol? Empty Re: What are your front sight blade and rear sight "notch" dimensions for your 1911 EIC/CMP hardball competition pistol?

Post by dan allen Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:16 pm

I just checked my ball gun and the front sight is .125 and the rear sight is .115 wide. I always thought I would have liked either a little wider rear sight or narrower front sight.

dan allen

Back to top Go down

What are your front sight blade and rear sight "notch" dimensions for your 1911 EIC/CMP hardball competition pistol? Empty Re: What are your front sight blade and rear sight "notch" dimensions for your 1911 EIC/CMP hardball competition pistol?

Post by SMBeyer Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:40 pm

I don't think I could shoot your guys' guns. My front sight is .118 and my rear is .138, I need some light around that front sight! I shoot a lot of air pistol and some standard pistol and this set up looks proportionate to my other two pistols. I am guessing with the small rear sight opening that the front sight fills the gap in the rear sight. For me this doesn't work because I cant look past the rear to the front and get the front sight to come into focus.

I shoot a 5mm front sight on my air pistol which is, compared to the .45, huge. I would like to try having a front sight made for the .45 that is much wider more like what my air pistol looks like. The idea on the air pistol is that the width of the front sight is close to the apparent width of the black of the target and therefore makes it easy to see if you are not centered left and right. I don't see why this wouldn't work on the .45.

Scott
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Star loader Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:14 am

Bomar front and rear .

Star loader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down