Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible new pistol complex in Ohio

+27
AllAces
CT_Frank
DirComp
Motorcycle_dan
JLK
dennisl.willing
LenV
Schaumannk
KenO
Jon Eulette
Froneck
jmdavis
r_zerr
Ghillieman
KB2MBC
CR10X
Colt711
LateBoomer
john bickar
Rob Kovach
DavidR
Jack H
dronning
Jerry Keefer
dstates
james r chapman
sixftunda
31 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Possible new pistol complex in Ohio - Page 4 Empty Possible new pistol complex in Ohio

Post by sixftunda Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

A few comments have been made here and on FB so I am starting a new topic.

There is a large trap shooting complex near Columbus called Cardinal Center.  They are currently looking into the construction of a 300 point range along with action pistol ranges.  The proposed complex would be large enough to host the National Precision Pistol Championship.  They have a large campgrounds on site, a beautiful vendors row, and many other wonderful amenities.  It is very accessible and you can actually see their events happening as you drive past on I-71.  They are truly professionals at running large scale shooting events. 

http://cardinalcentercamp.com/
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Possible new pistol complex in Ohio - Page 4 Empty Re: Possible new pistol complex in Ohio

Post by sixftunda Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:23 pm

All Aces.
There are 1000 hotel rooms within 20 miles of Cardinal.
Not sure of condo availability in the area but Cardinal offers RV rental for campers.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Possible new pistol complex in Ohio - Page 4 Empty Re: Possible new pistol complex in Ohio

Post by jmdavis Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:14 pm

There may be 1000 rooms within 20 miles of Cardinal, but I only found 200 within 10 miles. I didn't look for condos. With a mere 26 cabins on the property, alot of people are going to be travelling more than 10 miles a day or camping.

It might be a great place and I am willing to withhold judgement on that. But for those of us without RV's housing will be more of a problem than Perry in my opinion. 

As a comparison, Perry has 100 new huts, 2 or 3 barracks, the transient quarters, the motel, several cottages, 40 RV spaces, 8-10 tent spaces plus all of the housing available in condos and hotels in Port Clinton. Not to mention the nearby campgrounds.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:40 pm

Hotel occupancy rates for Columbus, OH typically run about 60 per cent.  Depending on time of day and traffic conditions a commute from inside the loop to Cardinal looks to be 40 minutes at best and an hour plus at rush hour.

For those who are concerned about these things, the crime rate for Columbus is about double the national average with robberies, break ins and thefts about three times the national average.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:44 pm

So basically I want to stay at or close to Cardinal. I have been thinking of an RV anyway, so something small will likely be how I go. 

I don't have an informed opinion yet on any potential move. If it is better, great. I will embrace it. If it's not, well I guess I will have to learn to accept it.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:51 pm

They seem to handle the trapshooting crowd for a week...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 45 MIKE Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:50 pm

What will the CMP do with there matches
I would also miss the history of Perry
it looks like there trying to make things better with the new huts
I would also miss the air gun range
and what do the vendors think about moving
45 MIKE
45 MIKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:48 pm

I don't see why CMP wouldn't move their matches to the new venue.

Camp Perry could always try and compete to win the Pistol Matches back if Cardinal does win the contract.

Sure the new huts are going to be great, but it's great to have the investment in Cardinal to force the Ohio National Guard's hand to improve Camp Perry even more!

CMP does have a portable air pistol range.

From what I'm told about the Cardinal "vendors row" the vendors are going to have much better facilities for much lower rents.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:05 pm

Well another monsoon rain at perry, as much as everyone loves the tradition, imo  the thought of shooting from under a cover is much more appealing when the weather doesn't cooperate . To go to perry costs many of us a huge amount of money plus a week away from work and a lot of traveling. The new cardinal center with its covered ranges would make a much more fun time even if raining the whole week than Perrys antiquated venue.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bdutton Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:18 pm

I had a nice talk with one of the NRA officials here at the National Smallbore championships in Bristol IN.  

First thing, there is NO AGREEMENT TO MOVE PISTOL TO CARDINAL.

Its is also a fact that they are building a new pistol range at Cardinal.  One that could handle the NRA National Pistol Championships.

It appears that the NRA likes the idea of using a private range because of the expense of housing volunteers.  The ONG requires a minimum number of volunteers but a private range has no such restriction.  There are fewer volunteers required in Bristol adding up to a significant savings in housing.. 5 times less expensive compared to Perry.  

I am not overly impressed with the Bristol venue for smallbore.  It is a good range to run a large regional.  In fact, many of the comments from competitors is that it *feels* like a regional.  

I believe that the Cardinal range could be an ideal venue for smallbore rifle.  Hopefully, the range is being built as dual purpose.  With the onsite housing (needs to be expanded tho), the vendor facilities and the massive size of it would be ideal.  I think it would also give that *feel* of a National Match venue for either Pistol or Smallbore.
bdutton
bdutton

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:31 am

Colt711 wrote:Six & 10,

Taking Smallbore elsewhere is another story, such a small number of shooters making demands out of all proportion to their number, tying up a range that can be much more utilized by Pistol or High Power.

Just my nickel's worth,
Ron Habegger
Ron,

I think that your statement applies to how the NRA perceives competitive shooting in general, "such a small number of shooters making demands out of all proportion to their number".
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:41 am

BE Mike wrote:
I think that your statement applies to how the NRA perceives competitive shooting in general, "such a small number of shooters making demands out of all proportion to their number".

You couldn't tell that from how they act about the Bianchi cup. It has fewer shooters than BE, more prizes, and much more press coverage.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by bdutton Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:29 am

Smallbore may have smaller number of competitors but it has a higher concentration of juniors making it important to the longevity of shooting sports in general.

Also, since there are more juniors, there are entire families going to the matches adding to the money spent on lodging, food, vendors.  That needs to be taken into consideration too.

A lot of people talk about how pistol is an aging sport and we need to get more juniors involved.  Well... smallbore s an excellent example of how to do it.
bdutton
bdutton

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:09 pm

Bdutton,
Two hundred of the three hundred firing point are indeed " duel use" for small bore rifle.
The design was looked at by a respected small bore champion and business man. All of his comments and suggestions have been incorporate into the design.
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorcycle_dan Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:14 pm

Dane,
How many rooms are available at the retreat just west of the Cardinal center.  Several people I talked to said no local lodging was an issue for them.  Has jack got a running deal with the retreat to house some of the big 1500+ shotgunners that make the matches at Cardinal?
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:31 pm

There are three buildings at Heartland. Each building ( quads ) have four sections that have six rooms with eight beds in each room, for a total of 192 beds per building.
Then there is another site that has more 4 miles away.
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:34 pm

I truly believe that housing will not be a problem. It will be different, but not a problem.
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks for the update and explanation. I'm open to change, especially if it is change for the better.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:14 pm

No problem, if anyone has questions, ask. If I don't know the answer I will get one.
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by bdutton Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:09 pm

The more I have seen at Bristol and experienced first hand at Perry... while I love the Perry Experiences I have had... I would prefer the Cardinal Center if all I am reading about it is true.
bdutton
bdutton

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:10 am

I have thought about this long and hard. For me, the reason I shoot the Nationals is the competition and the people. Not the location. The people!
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Everyone, I have started another Thread " questions about Cardinal Shooting Center. If you have a question, post it there and I will get an answer for you.
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:15 am

BE Mike wrote:
Colt711 wrote:Six & 10,

Taking Smallbore elsewhere is another story, such a small number of shooters making demands out of all proportion to their number, tying up a range that can be much more utilized by Pistol or High Power.

Just my nickel's worth,
Ron Habegger
Ron,

Mike, Unfortunately you are probably right. The orignal mission of the NRA was to improve marksmanship of civilians who might eventually be recruited into the military. Not much discussion of that now. I do understand if that "pool" no longer has acess to guns and/or ammo this improvement isn't possible.

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4