Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am buying a HS Hamden made .22

+2
Jack H
Jim Walters
6 posters

Go down

I am buying a HS Hamden made .22 Empty I am buying a HS Hamden made .22

Post by Jim Walters 9/29/2011, 7:14 pm

Who works on them if I need any work done? I don't really know much about them other than they will shoot, but this is and old gun, so who knows. Are there any books or videos on the HS?

Jim Walters

Back to top Go down

I am buying a HS Hamden made .22 Empty Re: I am buying a HS Hamden made .22

Post by Jack H 9/30/2011, 1:18 am

This guy is the go to HS fixer. I can hold my own in tuning them but am not in the business. I do have some parts and over 40 years BE experience with them.
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbarta/otherstuff.html
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 10/1/2011, 9:03 pm

Most older HS's are well built and don't need any "work" to shoot tight groups. Getting them to feed on the other hand is a magazine tuning issue that varies with the ammo you use. You have to bend the fingers of the magazine to get the nose of the bullet to hit the chamber properly.

Odds are that the previous owner had the mags set for a common SV target ammunition, and you wont have anything to worry about.

If it doesn't shoot tight groups, or the trigger doesn't feel right, let us know! If those things are right, then you wont need any work done. We can advise you on the magazines if needed.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by private citizen 12/4/2011, 12:43 pm

Jim Walters wrote:Who works on them if I need any work done? I don't really know much about them other than they will shoot, but this is and old gun, so who knows. Are there any books or videos on the HS?

Hopefully, you will get several tuned original HS mags with the gun.

Tip: if you cant get CCI SV to feed right, go to something else. CCI is just a little bit longer than most and that extra length makes life difficult.

Great guns.

private citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by JLK 12/4/2011, 4:06 pm

This is a good article on adjusting the magazines:

http://www.gun-tests.com/pdfs/1-3-20steps.pdf

Don't know if I'm brave enough to do the "Step #7" with the Visegrips! affraid
But I have adjusted the lips as shown. There was someone on the BE List a few years
ago that was selling a very simple but easy to use tool for this. Can't remember his name but
someone else may and chime in.
Good luck!!!
JLK
JLK
JLK

Back to top Go down

I am buying a HS Hamden made .22 Empty I got the HS

Post by Jim Walters 12/7/2011, 9:54 am

It shoots great, it is set up for irons or scope. I haven't shot it much, but will soon. I have 3 mags for the HS, 2 work flawlessly 1 does not. Our winter 22 league starts in Jan. and we are shooting practice matches at the club now. I am still shooting the Ruger because I have 2 or more cases of hv ammo. But I now have a case of CCI SV so the HS will get most of the work.

My indoor league average last year was 822, hope to bring that up another 20 points or more -- God willing. I was hoping for a major improvement in scores last year but I contracted a virus that affected the nerves in my leg muscles, horrible pain, and the meds I took for that caused sleeplessness and extreme nervousness, not condusive to high scores. And this lasted for10 months.

Jim Walters

Back to top Go down

Post by private citizen 12/8/2011, 8:41 am

Jack H wrote:This guy is the go to HS fixer. I can hold my own in tuning them but am not in the business. I do have some parts and over 40 years BE experience with them.
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbarta/otherstuff.html

I did shim my magazines. But the procedure on these pages seems very lengthy. I just used a smear of JB Weld and shaped it with sandpaper until I got the fit I wanted.

private citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mososodbob 5/7/2012, 10:51 pm

Price Check on an older HS Victor plus four tuned magazines? Will include a 1" UD mounted.
Mososodbob
Mososodbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down