Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on a 3 gun combo

+9
LenV
C.Perkins
Jerry Keefer
HenryA
beeser
Froneck
Wobbley
Rob Kovach
cwo4uscgret
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

38 super - Thoughts on a 3 gun combo - Page 2 Empty Thoughts on a 3 gun combo

Post by cwo4uscgret 6/2/2015, 9:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well I've been thinking (I know that can be dangerous, me thinking about guns!) about what I'm going to do with a gun and two slides; a Colt 1952 made Commercial 1911 in .45 and a complete upper in .38 Super.  The .45 frame and slide have been chrome plated with factory sights; the .38 Super is nickel with a modified Patridge front sight and a US marked Triangle adjustable rear sight.  They are at DerrPrecision for stripping the old finishes off, polishing, rebluing, and a general check for fit and function.  The .45 slide will have a Novak lo-profile rear sight and gold (brass) dot front sight; the .38 Super sights will remain on the gun.

Here's what I've been thinking; I also have two Colt .22 conversion units - am I overthinking it by figuring having a three gun set, using the frame as a host for all three calibers; the .22, .38 Super, and the .45.  I doubt if I would ever make it to Camp Perry to compete; but many years ago while stationed in Cleveland I shot on a Coast Guard .22 Pistol Team, in the Cuyahoga County Pistol League.  We're talking like 83-84 time frame.  I was issued a Coast Guard marked S&W Model 41 (I wish I could have that one); I shot left handed (dominant eye) and had modified the stocks for a lefty.  I had never shot Bullseye; in the 2nd Season I got good news and bad news - I received a plaque for placing in the Marksman Division; that was good - but I was the 26th Marksman overall, the last one to get an award!  I think my average was 226.xx something.  I wouldn't mind shooting in the local gun club's (Bluewater Sportsman Club near Port Huron, MI) bullseye league now that I'm retired and have a lot of spare time.

So what's your opinions on this three gun combo?

Here's the before photo of the guns...

38 super - Thoughts on a 3 gun combo - Page 2 Government_right
38 super - Thoughts on a 3 gun combo - Page 2 Rear_sight_left
38 super - Thoughts on a 3 gun combo - Page 2 Super_1
38 super - Thoughts on a 3 gun combo - Page 2 Colt_22_3

cwo4uscgret

Back to top Go down

38 super - Thoughts on a 3 gun combo - Page 2 Empty Re: Thoughts on a 3 gun combo

Post by rich.tullo 1/7/2016, 8:04 am

Nice! Pieces. 

Now It were me I would do it with 2 frames using a quality 22lr top/45acp and a 38 super. I looked into 9mm and I think the 38 super is a little more versatile should I want to hunt or do steel ect.....  

Now, one frame can be done, maybe not well. The trick I believe is using external extractors and machining the 22lr and 45acp slide to accept the 38 ejector. Joe Chamber can do it I think but it wil cost you $$$$$$$. Spending that kind of money can buy you a Pardini maybe with a 32ACP kit and a top notch Wadcutter.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

38 super - Thoughts on a 3 gun combo - Page 2 Empty Re: Thoughts on a 3 gun combo

Post by Jack H 1/7/2016, 11:29 am

At a minimum, most of us would be well off with just a good 45 and a good dedicated 22.  Add only something good for CMP and DR if the aforementioned are optic sighted.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 1/7/2016, 9:36 pm

Wow your refinished pictures look amazing.

I'm actually in the process of doing almost exactly what you are. Last year I ran my les baer 45 and a Smith 41, the Smith was a bit nose heavy for me and had alaibi issues at times. So I sold the 41 and got a Sig Traditional Match elite, I would have liked to have gone high end but just couldn't justify it not knowing if it would be successful in bullseye. I plan on getting a really nice 2.75 pound trigger job with all new top notch ignition parts. I will use it for CF and plan to get a nelson conversion for .22. I'm in the process of testing loads now.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2