Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Measuring for new bushing

4 posters

Go down

Measuring for new bushing Empty Measuring for new bushing

Post by orpheoet 6/18/2015, 4:31 am

What is the best way to do the measuring and what tools are needed. All I have is an old Starrett dial caliper. I'm sure it won't do the job...Thanks
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Measuring for new bushing Empty Re: Measuring for new bushing

Post by james r chapman 6/18/2015, 5:56 am

james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 6/18/2015, 9:20 am

A good 1" Micrometer is best. Starrett and other top brands sell on ebay quite reasonably. I don't like the very old models though they are accurate, I like the satin chrome that makes it easy to read. A good set of telescoping gauge (5/16" to 6"/set but can be purchased seperatly) and small hole gauge (.125 to .500) will work for bores. If used properly they will measure bores to at least .001 or better. Dial bore gauges, Various brands similar to B&S Intermike and inside micrometers similar to Starrett 700 are very accurate but very expensive. A Gauge pin set to check bores from .061 to .625 made by Chinese will cost about $300 for a minus set and about $300 for the Plus set. Better brands and class will increase that price very much and well into the thousands of dollars. The hole that may be best measured with a gauge pin is the barrel hole in the bushing because that hole is not round and relieved to allow the barrel to pivot so the pin will determine barrel actual barrel fit. Being that the Chinese set is probably accurate to .0002. If you have a lathe and a .0001 reading micrometer you can make a pin good enough for gun work. Careful checking with a telescoping gauge will work too.
 Least accurate is the dial caliper. I have one someplace but use my digital more though it is not very accurate either. The dial version can have the gear jump the rack and give a bad reading. Both have a flimsy metal frame that distorts easily.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 6/18/2015, 10:48 am

as an added note EGW makes a slide bore gauge just for measuring the slide opening

I made one for myself on the lathe.. I may not be inventive but I can sure copy a good idea. Smile
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 6/18/2015, 11:36 am

jglenn21 wrote:as an added note EGW makes a slide bore gauge just for measuring the slide opening

I made one for myself on the lathe.. I may not be inventive but I can sure copy a good idea. Smile
 I can copy too Smile  Is that the slide bore gauge? How does it work" Stepped diameters??

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/18/2015, 12:18 pm

I'm guessing it looks like a ring sizer gage.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 6/18/2015, 2:39 pm

yes stepped diameters ( ring sizing gauge is a perfect analogy ) made mine from some  steel bar I had laying around. mine is .700-.704  

they do make some nice tools

love their  trigger sizing and firing pin stop gauges
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 6/18/2015, 6:38 pm

I'd say that this is officially beyond my abilities at least for now. Thank you for your responses.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down