Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you Grip the Slabs on the 1911

+11
Virgil Kane
Axehandle
rich.tullo
sixftunda
Jack H
john bickar
dan allen
kwixdraw
dronning
james r chapman
DavidR
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How do you Grip the Slabs on the 1911 - Page 2 Empty How do you Grip the Slabs on the 1911

Post by DavidR 6/19/2015, 2:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Lets discuss GRIPING THE slab grips on your 1911;.... What gives you the best most accurate hold or works best for you?
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

How do you Grip the Slabs on the 1911 - Page 2 Empty Re: How do you Grip the Slabs on the 1911

Post by Rob Kovach 6/25/2015, 7:58 am

For those who only tried the Zins grip for 1 match: it takes a couple months to get the strength to see the benefits. Keep working on it.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

How do you Grip the Slabs on the 1911 - Page 2 Empty Re: How do you Grip the Slabs on the 1911

Post by john bickar 6/25/2015, 9:59 am

Virgil Kane wrote:A question here. Doesn't the Zin's grip work for Brian because of the size of his hands?

This very well may be true. I have little teenage-girl hands.

They measure approximately 0.4 Gozas across.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 6/25/2015, 1:21 pm

I also have little tiny hands ( compared to a Gorilla) and can understand why one grip doesn't work for everyone. This is my grip for slabs.

How do you Grip the Slabs on the 1911 - Page 2 Dscf0411
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 6/25/2015, 2:29 pm

I have small hands and with slab grips on my 1911 I find that the Zins grip works for me.  Also, I grip with the two middle fingers only.  I don't grip with either the little finger or the thumb.  Also, I crook my trigger finger so that it does not rub against the frame and practice moving my trigger finger without moving any other fingers.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 6/26/2015, 6:12 am

I think what each shooter must do is read between the lines. Weather it's Zins's grip or any other top shooter's the simple fact is that you are not them. However what should be done is to accomplish the same function. The need to align the gun in the hand so that it provides a neutral position while aligned with the target. The AMU manual provides better detail but it don't say what needs to be done if in fact the shooter does as suggested and the finger does not fit the trigger correctly. Adjusting the grip to better align the finger on the trigger is not good, either pushing or pulling the shot right of left will result. One thing that should be avoided is picking the gun up with the shooting hand and fumbling with it ("milking the grip") until it feels right. If in fact the grip is done so that it's aligned as stated by Zins and/or the AMU manual and trigger finger location is not correct then modifications to the gun is necessary. Most European guns provide for this by having an adjustable trigger and ergonomic grips that have ample wood to carve away to adjust the grip to the shooters hand.  The grips for the 1911 come in 3 sizes, standard (1/4" thick) slim (3/16" thick) and extra slim (5/32" thick). The standard can be made thicker with shims and for thinner than extra slim use something like what's on the gun in Jerry's photos in the Aimpoint topic. Different trigger lengths are available from just about everyone selling triggers and even if the shortest is too long it can be modified  with a 1" half round file.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 6/26/2015, 7:01 am

No matter how much we all want to be the same, bottom line is we are not.   Trigger length, trigger width, flat or arched mainspring housings...  Lots of ways to make minor changes to the shape of the 1911 grip.  I bought a set of Vitarbo grips for my 1911 and M41 S&W years ago..  They look good but I am a service pistol kind of guy.  Maybe I'll like them when I become a grand senior.   alien

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2