Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wayback Machine

2 posters

Go down

Wayback Machine Empty Wayback Machine

Post by kwixdraw Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:06 am

Some years back (20 or so) I purchased a Pre series 70 Commercial Colt Gold Cup that had been modified for competition use. As I recall there was some welding done in the slide and the locking lugs had been recut in sort of the reverse of welding the barrel and refitting. There were some lightning cuts made to the disconnector rail and the firing pin and spring could be seen through the some of them. The slide-frame fit had been tightened by the squeeze and peen method. It did shoot well but Money came into play and I sold it. I don't recall any gunsmith marks on it. Does this style ring a bell for any of you guys who have been at this a long time? I'm particularly curious about the lightning cuts in the disconnect rail. I don't recall them resembling the Marvel cam cut. just oval windows to either side of the disconnector path.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Wayback Machine Empty Re: Wayback Machine

Post by spursnguns Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:06 pm

Hello kwixdraw,

All first generation Colt Gold Cups came from the factory with the slide lightening cuts that you describe.  They did the same thing to their early 9mm Commanders.  The early Gold Cups were designed for low powered target loads "only", hence the attempt to lighten the slide for better functioning.

I had one once (many moons ago) and it was, compare to other pistols back in the day, quite accurate.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by kwixdraw Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Very interesting Jim. I had no idea those cuts were factory. Thanks for the info.
      Cliff
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down