Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What else besides sand bags and the RR Machine?

+4
james r chapman
Wobbley
Magload
Tim:H11
8 posters

Go down

What else besides sand bags and the RR Machine?  Empty What else besides sand bags and the RR Machine?

Post by Tim:H11 Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:04 pm

I'm looking for an alternative to sand bag resting my pistols for testing - I'm not fond of the method. It's aggravating at times. I don't have the budget for a Ransom Rest. Is there an affordable solution between a Ransom Rest and sand bags? I have my own 50 yard distance now at home.

Back to top Go down

What else besides sand bags and the RR Machine?  Empty Re: What else besides sand bags and the RR Machine?

Post by Magload Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:24 pm

I use this rest https://www.amazon.com/1003626-Hyskore-Parallax-Pistol-Sighting/dp/B0007LOX8C/ref=sr_1_4  and have modified the rear of it so my shooting hand can rest where the clamps are.  It you search Amazon using Pistol Rest you will find many to pick from.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

What else besides sand bags and the RR Machine?  Empty Re: What else besides sand bags and the RR Machine?

Post by Wobbley Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Try a higher power scope than your usual optic still from the sandbag rest.  The gun may not function but you’ll see your shots better.  Probably won’t be any better than a proper machine rest, but it’ll be better than off the bench as most people do it.

Maybe something like this?  
https://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-2-7x44-30mm-long-eye-relief-scout-rifle-scope.html
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:45 pm

I agree off a bag or a rest a scope with cross hairs will help a lot.  I use this 4x https://www.amazon.com/Simmons-ProHunter-Truplex-Reticle-Handgun/dp/B0002BTLMA/ref=sr_1_5  but also have that scope in a 2-6x.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:49 pm

I often use a 6 power with a gripmount on the 1911.

What else besides sand bags and the RR Machine?  Opplan10

works well enough.

otherwise, a modified Lee handgun rest has worked well.

Last edited by james r chapman on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:49 pm

Wobbley wrote:Try a higher power scope than your usual optic still from the sandbag rest.  The gun may not function but you’ll see your shots better.  Probably won’t be any better than a proper machine rest, but it’ll be better than off the bench as most people do it.

Maybe something like this?  
https://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-2-7x44-30mm-long-eye-relief-scout-rifle-scope.html

I'm not currently using a pistol scope at all. I'm just using the red dot on my gun. Maybe I should buy a low budget price pistol scope for the sake of sand banging guns?

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:51 pm

How did you modify the Lee?
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:56 pm

james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Jim what make is your grip mount?
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:12 am

chopper wrote:Jim what make is your grip mount?
Stan
AIMTECH
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:46 am

At my previous club, they had a heavy base tripod that looks something like what is used for supported pistol to sight in pistols.

Use your regular stance and rest the front of the pistol on the top of the tripod.

Never used it, so can't comment on whether it works well or not except that other club members kept telling me I should sight in my pistol that way.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:13 pm

I used to think I could sight in my pistol with a rest, or sandbag but have come to understand that that is only good to get the gun close to sighted in.  It is a good way to make sure you are grouping but my off hand shooting does not match my rest shooting POI or group size.  Today I could have used one of those tripods it was just one of those days when this 70 year old arm just didn't have a lot of strength.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:27 pm

a nice Lee rest

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Pistol-Machine-Rest-1911-45-ACP-Used/162732341282?hash=item25e39a7822:g:-u4AAOSwa0VZ-Mz-
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down