Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fastfire 3

5 posters

Go down

Fastfire 3 Empty Fastfire 3

Post by Bigtrout 7/14/2015, 8:00 am

This is not an ad but maybe a help to someone looking for a mini red dot.   MDS Optics in Omaha has the FF3, 3 MOA, no mount on sale for $203, free shipping.   I ordered one for my 5" RO and the components from JP and EGW to replace my stock rear sight.   Thanks to the guys who did the research that allows the FF to be mounted on the RO's LPA cut without machining or smithing.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Fastfire 3 Empty Re: Fastfire 3

Post by Mac2 7/14/2015, 9:46 am

When making the change (EGW plate, JP shim, FF3) to two 9mm Range Officers, gunsmith found that the old (adjustable) rear sight was glued in place.  Be prepared.  End result is OK.  Would have saved a lot of time, effort and perhaps some money, just to have purchased a made-up 9mm 1911 from one of the top people. [Internal parts of RO needed to be replaced too.]   Sig Sauer may come out with a bullseye version of their P320 with a spot for red-dot sight.  The 1911 advantages are the possibility of an excellent trigger (after replacing parts, thanks C&C) and the ability to adjust recoil spring to the ammo.  The Full size P320 has excellent trigger and one can adjust recoil spring, all without 1911 safety parts that do not facilitate performance. It is just possible that the era of the 1911 may be going away.   Mac2

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 7/14/2015, 9:50 am

Does it hold 1.5 inches at 50 yards?
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by kwixdraw 7/14/2015, 9:59 am

1911 going away? That'll be the day.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by dhenry132 7/14/2015, 10:28 am

Bigtrout, which pieces did you order from JP and EGW to fit the SARO for the FF3
dhenry132
dhenry132

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 7/14/2015, 12:27 pm

MAC2, thanks for the tip.
Rich, I haven't gotten past 50 ft. yet as I just got my RO back from SA and am still working to find the best load.

Dhenry, EGW has the mount called Optima/JP LPA, p/n 49413.   JPrifles has an adaptor ARR-JP/DR which will attach to EGW's mount and accept the FF mount pattern.  I also ordered their 3-shim package as I read shimming is needed to prevent elevation from maxing out.  Searching this section for "Fastfire 3 LPA mount for SA RO" should take you to a great thread that explains the whole deal.  I can't thank the guy (sorry, I'm terrible with names) enough as I've been searching for months trying to find an LPA mount to accept the FF.   Good luck.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 7/14/2015, 1:55 pm

dhenry132 wrote:Bigtrout, which pieces did you order from JP and EGW to fit the SARO for the FF3

Dhenry, search "Burris fast fire 3 1911 mount" in this section and go to page 2.  You will find ssds14534's complete answer to your question.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 7/14/2015, 1:58 pm

In 45acp few pistols have proven to be competitive some guys have tried Pardinis GT45 (a Benelli design) and I don't know how it has worked for them. 

One viable alternative is the S&W model 25 my Dad won often with his and he was a master back in the day prior to redots. 

In 9mm I would say the Sig 210 is competitive , as well as the Customized Baretta 92 which is used often in hard ball matches. 

The CZ 75 is very new to customization and I would say it has potential with the right trigger and bushing. 

But any 9mm has to hold 1 inch at 50 yards to beat a custom 1911 in 9mm or 38 super. 

Also for bullseye I would recommend a tube scope over a flat screen which is something to consider.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by dhenry132 7/14/2015, 4:14 pm

Thanks
dhenry132
dhenry132

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 7/15/2015, 7:40 am

rich.tullo wrote:In 45acp few pistols have proven to be competitive some guys have tried Pardinis GT45 (a Benelli design) and I don't know how it has worked for them. 

One viable alternative is the S&W model 25 my Dad won often with his and he was a master back in the day prior to redots. 

In 9mm I would say the Sig 210 is competitive , as well as the Customized Baretta 92 which is used often in hard ball matches. 

The CZ 75 is very new to customization and I would say it has potential with the right trigger and bushing. 

But any 9mm has to hold 1 inch at 50 yards to beat a custom 1911 in 9mm or 38 super. 

Also for bullseye I would recommend a tube scope over a flat screen which is something to consider.

Rich,I'm pretty sure all you say is accurate.   My choice of the 5" RO 9mm was guided by price ($759), cheaper ammo and published reviews.  I am new to the art of centerfire pistol shooting and at 74, I don't expect to compete in formal bullseye matches but want to have some fun in friendly club matches.  The FF3 will be a vast improvement over the iron sights. I now have to use 2.0 diopters to bring the sights in focus which obviously sets the target out of focus. The FF3 will allow me to dispense with corrective glasses and keep both eyes open.  I do know the tube red dots are superior for bullseye but my RO is so pretty I cannot bear to have a rail mounted on it nor want to deal with the tuning issues associated with the vastly greater weight on the slide.   So with all that said, I'm going forward with the EGW thick flange angle bore bushing and the FF3 then get to work finding the load configuration that gives me the best group.   Then practice, practice ad infinitum.   Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down